Shellac/Gelish/gel polish ruined my nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
I feel like I spend half my life telling people it was them that ruined their nails not what was on them.

Have had 2 friends on Facebook today posting about how Shellac ruined their nails and when I told them that was unlikely and questioned them further it transpired that one had peeled hers off as she didn't have time to take it off properly and the other had bought a kit off eBay and had filed the life out of her nail plate to remove the shine before application as that's what the seller had told her to do :rolleyes:

Sometimes I feel like I may as well just bang my head off a brick wall.

Exactly. They always blame the product. If the product is applied and removed correctly its not going to ruin your nails. I tell anyone this that complains that a product has ruined their nails.
If their nails are thin then they have picked or peeled a product off or over filled/buffed. They eventually learn when they see my other clients nails and my own too.

Yes, I'm finding this too. Even when I question the products used and system employed they are determined that it was the shellac.

I think it's mostly incorrect removal - ie peeling it off. The application is so much like a normal polish that people treat it like a normal polish and pick it off with their teeth. When I started out I went to an expensive salon in town for shellac and they buffed my nails and gave absolutely no aftercare advice including no information about removal.

Anybody that gets shellac from me is told about safe removal, use of solar oil etc. I just hope that there are more of us doing a good job rather than a crap job ;)

I was just thinking earlier that sometimes I shouldn't wear shellac so that clients can see that actually my nails are in perfect condition underneath and haven't been damaged at all.

Not sure what answers/advice you are looking for but all I can say is that I sympathise with you!

I have this too where I'm constantly fighting a battle between cheap online sales of rubbish products, naughty clients and bad therapists/nail techs.

It's a battle of education and us good therapists will come out on top in the end. Just have to believe that!x

I was just thinking earlier that sometimes I shouldn't wear shellac so that clients can see that actually my nails are in perfect condition underneath and haven't been damaged at all.

I took a photo last week of my nails after removal and posted it on my business Facebook with the caption 'my natural nails after 5 months continual Shellac & Gelish wear'. It seemed to go down well.

Yawwwwnn (not at you guys but the "ruined my nails brigade!) Liquid and powder had it for years, please don't shoot me down but I'm going to just give another perspective here. For a long time "gel" has been hailed bye people as "doesn't ruin your nails" like acrylic does. Now it's "gel polish wont ruin your nails like extensions do". I'm not saying techs are saying it but the people coming out with it are getting the idea from somewhere! a product can't ruin nails, but a tech sure as hell can so can a client. Like a car door won't attack your hand! But the person slamming it will! Then they blame the car door, not the person slamming it! It's stupid talk! We need to educate people and NOT use the whole my system won't damage your nails like their system talk. Xx

Latest posts

Back