Shellac help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyDodds

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for a wee bit of guidance...
I am currently on maternity leave and trying to decide which direction to take my nail business in when I return to work. To cut a very long story short, I have been doing l&p extensions for nearly ten years with a devoted customer base without any problems. I am the only nail tech in my area offering l&p, so when I went on maternity leave I suggested my customers tried shellac at other local salons until my return. I have now gone and shot myself in the foot as many of my customers have said they now love shellac and unless I offer it as a service they will stay where they are. So, I'm after a bit of honesty, do you think it is worth my while doing the training and buying the kit in or do I stick with what I know? My main concern is that there are several salons in my town who offer it and I'm scared I invest a lot of money and I don't get my customers back :-( Also, are there cheaper ways of trying shellac without buying the kit or does that work out better value?
Please help!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi everyone, looking for a wee bit of guidance...
I am currently on maternity leave and trying to decide which direction to take my nail business in when I return to work. To cut a very long story short, I have been doing l&p extensions for nearly ten years with a devoted customer base without any problems. I am the only nail tech in my area offering l&p, so when I went on maternity leave I suggested my customers tried shellac at other local salons until my return. I have now gone and shot myself in the foot as many of my customers have said they now love shellac and unless I offer it as a service they will stay where they are. So, I'm after a bit of honesty, do you think it is worth my while doing the training and buying the kit in or do I stick with what I know? My main concern is that there are several salons in my town who offer it and I'm scared I invest a lot of money and I don't get my customers back :-( Also, are there cheaper ways of trying shellac without buying the kit or does that work out better value?
Please help!!

Definitely buy it as a kit, you will save a lot of money that way. In a nut shell it will be the best decision you ever make for your business. If clients have said that they'll return to you if you offer it then its really a no brainer.

Xx

I would personally go with ibd gel instead of shellac it's much stronger and has some fantastic colours we are really busy in our salon with this compared to when we used shellac x;)

Definitely buy it as a kit, you will save a lot of money that way. In a nut shell it will be the best decision you ever make for your business. If clients have said that they'll return to you if you offer it then its really a no brainer.

Xx

Thanks for your reply. Price wise, how much do you charge for a set of shellac, removal, etc and how long roughly does it take to do?

I would personally go with ibd gel instead of shellac it's much stronger and has some fantastic colours we are really busy in our salon with this compared to when we used shellac x;)

Thank you, what is it like price wise vs shellac? Cost to buy in and cost for service? Is there a training course available and where do you buy ibd from?

And is it the ibd gel polish? Thank god for google!

Aaaggghhh...just been reading about gellish-any good? I'm a cnd user so tempted to go with shellac. What's everyone's opinion?!

Go with Shellac. It will be the best investment you make. The return is worth it. You will,still get your L&P clients, but you will get so many more with Shellac.

Gelish is amazing and you don't have to buff the natural nail, I never do, and all my clients get 3 weeks wear with no chipping. Choosing Gelish was the best business decision I've ever made. X

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Gelish is amazing and you don't have to buff the natural nail, I never do, and all my clients get 3 weeks wear with no chipping. Choosing Gelish was the best business decision I've ever made. X

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Ooh heck, so many choices!! What is it like price wise to buy in, is there a training course, how much do you charge for it? Sorry to be so nosy x

Go with Shellac. It will be the best investment you make. The return is worth it. You will,still get your L&P clients, but you will get so many more with Shellac.

Thanks, how much do you charge for shellac/removal etc? X

I include removal of shellac in my shellac manicure price.
However if they want a removal and a mini manicure - then I charge £12.

I include removal of shellac in my shellac manicure price.
However if they want a removal and a mini manicure - then I charge £12.

Thank you. Am I right in thinking shellac is removed and replaced every two weeks? X

I too have returned after a very long time away. I would suggest staying with CND for several reasons. You HAVE to stay current with trends and technology. CND will do that for you. Get a kit and a class before you return to work if at possible. You will be able to wow your returning and new clients with what you have to offer. Do you do glitter or rockstar nails? Do more than the other salons and update your skills and you'll be as busy as you want to be! :)

Anyone?!

go with shellac best thing you will ever do and you wont look back. my day is now 80% shellac every day, clients love it and i love it. Definitely buy the kit its fab value for money and do the training aswell, it doesnt cost much and is well worth it.

yes you soak off and re do every 2 weeks but some clients can get longer. Make sure you charge enough as i started too cheap not knowing how good shellac was at the time and now ive gradually been putting prices up.

wish id got it sooner!

Does anyone rate youngnails there gel polish? I have been buying stuff and brought some of there gel polish but it takes 3 coats and even then it's not covering properly, and I get lifting on the acrylics :|

Shellac all the way! Worth every penny. Support is amazing and training is top notch. No buffing and the nails stay strong and grow long. Removal is a snap :) Artistic side of Shellac gives you the sky as your limit

I am not as automatic in my support of CND Shellac as the best choice as others, but I think there are very good reasons for you to go with Shellac.

First, you have used CND products, you know how they work and you have faith in them - that will give you confidence as you move into this new area. Secondly, your referred your clients to Shellac and they like it, so you know there's a market for it. Finally, your clients told you that they'd come back to you if you offer Shellac -I think they'd feel put out if you offers something else instead. You can start with Shellac and add on, but start with CND Shellac.

I am not as automatic in my support of CND Shellac as the best choice as others, but I think there are very good reasons for you to go with Shellac.

First, you have used CND products, you know how they work and you have faith in them - that will give you confidence as you move into this new area. Secondly, your referred your clients to Shellac and they like it, so you know there's a market for it. Finally, your clients told you that they'd come back to you if you offer Shellac -I think they'd feel put out if you offers something else instead. You can start with Shellac and add on, but start with CND Shellac.

Thank you...that sounds a very logical solution! Xx

Latest posts

Back