Shellac making client's nails 'bendy'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnx

Reaction score
Spoke to my lovely client re her second shellac appointment and she says that she'd like her shellac removed and nothing reapplied, as her nails are quite bendy with the shellac on.

Someone she spoke to said that shellac did that to her nails too and advised my client that she should let her nails breath for a week before putting anything on them. I advised my client that letting your nails breath is a myth, as they do not breath (Ref Doug Schoon). I suggested Vinylux, but she said that her nails aren't as strong or hard as before and not used to having colour polish on for two weeks, so wants to go on holiday with no polish.

I said I'd have a look at her nails at her appt this week and we could go from there - obviously, she can keep bare nails if she wanted.

Anyone know anything about Shellac making nails soft and bendy? She says the polish still looks great, albeit with 1/4 inch of regrowth; plus she uses her SolarOil regularly.

Thanks in advance x

Hi, Sounds like someone's planted a seed to me.
I've never known shellac to make any of my clients nails 'bendy' she's probably just going by what her friend has told her and now its stuck in her head.
Id do the removal, see for yourself, and then advise from there. She probably just needs a bit more education about shellac. Lol
Xx

Thanks cheekychick, I'll have a look, as I've not come across that before. Just wonder whether her friend had shellac or something else where her nail was buffed making it thinner??? Odd though. Xx

You say "ref her second shellac appt " and that she has a 1/4 inch demarcation line. Could it be that her nails have got to a length that she's just not used to having. And therefore feel "bendy" because she has more free edge than she's used to?? Just a thought :hug:

There is alot of fake shellac about. Iv had clients in that after having what they thought what was shellac and it ruining their nails don't want shellac again. We usually win them over and then they love it.
I agree with the above. Maybe her friend had a fake shellac treatment and is planting a seed x

You say "ref her second shellac appt " and that she has a 1/4 inch demarcation line. Could it be that her nails have got to a length that she's just not used to having. And therefore feel "bendy" because she has more free edge than she's used to?? Just a thought :hug:

This is exactly what I was thinking and giong to put :)

I've actually had a long nail bend before but that was the shellac saving it, without it it would have snapped off!
I've just actually gone naked with 3 nails today, enhancement been on too long n I fancied growing my own again. I've vinyluxed till I can shellac tomoz nite, eek I just know I'm gonna break this long one ;)
Shellac has the best coverage n the best strength other than enhancements IMO

I'd say exactly the same as Jenski :) their nails probably don't normally get to the length she currently has ;) might be worth her apply solar oil under the free edge too.

I often think that people get used to the added strength of gels or shellac very quickly and then, once they are soaked off, they have the impression that they are weaker, when in fact they are the same as before. I also find it takes a few days of the nails to 'rehydrate'. This is, of course, providing they have a genuine product that has been applied rather than one of the imitations!

One of my own nails has been VERY bendy lately, it has BL smoothing and shellac on it but I know that it is bending because it is TOO LONG, the free edge is as long as the nail plate lol!!! But like someone said earlier, if there was nothing on it it would just snap xxxx

Ladies, you make so much sense. I've experienced it where shellac has saved my unusually long nails (for me), then they broke on the nail bed without shellac - repaired with brisa lite and they're holding up nicely.

I'll advise her to put SolarOil under the free edge too.

She's def wearing shellac, as I applied it and purchase from S2. Her friend may not have been wearing wearing shellac previously though.

Thank you xx

Ladies, you make so much sense. I've experienced it where shellac has saved my unusually long nails (for me), then they broke on the nail bed without shellac - repaired with brisa lite and they're holding up nicely.

I'll advise her to put SolarOil under the free edge too.

She's def wearing shellac, as I applied it and purchase from S2. Her friend may not have been wearing wearing shellac previously though.

Thank you xx

Perhaps, with the use of shellac and solar oil they ARE bendy. They are rehydrated...more flexible. So where previously they may have been dehydrated with no 'give', instead of breaking they're bending....just a thought xx

Perhaps, with the use of shellac and solar oil they ARE bendy. They are rehydrated...more flexible. So where previously they may have been dehydrated with no 'give', instead of breaking they're bending....just a thought xx

So I guess that bend would translate as weaker to her??? I'll see when she comes in this week.

Thanks x

So I guess that bend would translate as weaker to her??? I'll see when she comes in this week.

Thanks x

If she isn't used to them being flexible then it would be reasonable to suggest she has mistaken flexible for weaker. The only way to tell is to see them xx

If she isn't used to the length, could she be pushing the free edge down with the other fingers on the same hand just out of habit? When my nails first started growing properly I did this without even realising. It would make anyone's nails bendy.
I'm out of the habit now.
Took my l&p's off last week and used brisa lite and shellac, if anything my nails are now stronger than when I initially removed the l&p
Just an idea? ☺

Thanks cheekychick, I'll have a look, as I've not come across that before. Just wonder whether her friend had shellac or something else where her nail was buffed making it thinner??? Odd though. Xx

That's the thing now. So many people call all these different uv/gel polishes shellac, so the clients just assume its all the same product when it isn't 😬 xx

Will suggest brisa lite, as it's what I wear for the strength and is an absolute treat. Xx

If she's going to be in and out of chlorine on holiday for a week, what would you suggest - naked nails or brisa lite? Both with SolarOil. Xx

Update: it was the length her nails had grown. She was delighted with the wear and health of her nails when the shellac was removed. We took the length down and this time she had brisa lite smoothing gel with shellac on top for her hols. Her nails looked so lush and she was uber happy with then.

Thanks for all the replies, this is a superb resource. :) x

Latest posts

Back