Shellac nails/gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charley-x

Reaction score
Hi,

i have recently just started to do shellac nails, but i am having problems with them lifting and chipping! i am doing every correctly! can anyone give me any advice and tips??? i am using CND and IBD products! i am not mixing products either!

With who did you train? Explain what procedure do you follow.

i perform a mini mani to start, so soak the fingers then push the cuticles back & trim if needed. i then file the nail to to preferred shape & length then i buff the nail and wipe of any "dust" let on the nail.

i apply x1 coat base coat and leave under the lamp for 10seconds
i then apply x1 layer of colour and leave under the lamp for 2 mins & i repeat this for a second time
i then put on x1 layer of top coat on and leave under the lamp for 2mins
then i use rubbing alcohol to take the stickiness of the nail & apply solar oil.

am i missing anything??

i perform a mini mani to start, so soak the fingers then push the cuticles back & trim if needed. i then file the nail to to preferred shape & length then i buff the nail and wipe of any "dust" let on the nail.

i then apply x1 layer of colour and leave under the lamp for 2 mins & i repeat this for a second time
then i use rubbing alcohol to take the stickiness of the nail & apply solar oil.

am i missing anything??

For CND Shellac, AFAIK there is no need to buff the nail plate - follow PEP procedure which is covered in their training.

What lamp are you using? Is it an original CND lamp? Generic LED lamp or UV lamp? Not all lamps are the same.

Last edited:

am i missing anything??

When you say "soak" what do you mean? In what?

Just in warm water. Ive read that i should try dry prep? is that a better thing to do?

For CND Shellac, AFAIK there is no need to buff the nail plate - follow PEP procedure which is covered in their training.

What lamp are you using? Is it an original CND lamp? Generic LED lamp or UV lamp? Not all lamps are the same.

i am using an LED lamp? is the CND lamp the best one to buy?

i am using an LED lamp? is the CND lamp the best one to buy?

Yes, that is one of your problems as to why the polish is lifting - the polish is undercured. A generic LED lamp will not cure CND properly - it is not about the power of the lamp, it is the wavelength used and the photo initiator used in the product that will polymerize at a particular UV range. Unfortunately most generic LED lamps will not cure CND Shellac properly.

Either get a good quality generic 36W UV lamp (the one with big bulbs) and do it by trial and error (not recommended if doing it professionally as you may get different results), or fork the money and get the original CND UV lamp.

Are you trained in manicure? Or shellac? Or both?

Yes, that is one of your problems as to why the polish is lifting - the polish is undercured. A generic LED lamp will not cure CND properly - it is not about the power of the lamp, it is the wavelength used and the photo initiator used in the product that will polymerize at a particular UV range. Unfortunately most generic LED lamps will not cure CND Shellac properly.

Either get a good quality generic 36W UV lamp (the one with big bulbs) and do it by trial and error (not recommended if doing it professionally as you may get different results), or fork the money and get the original CND UV lamp.

Thank you for all your help! i will look into getting a CND lamp :D

Are you trained in manicure? Or shellac? Or both?
i took a gel polish course & that covered "mini mani" also. Have you any tips?

i took a gel polish course & that covered "mini mani" also. Have you any tips?

Get training with a reputable training company. Many are mentioned around here, but if you are going to be doing CND Shellac, do their training course.

Get training with a reputable training company. Many are mentioned around here, but if you are going to be doing CND Shellac, do their training course.
Thank you! i will look into it. Also going back to the CND lamp will that be the best opinion if im using IBD gel polish? and maybe OPI.

I don't know as I don't use IBD or OPI. My advice would be to look at the manufacturers instructions carefully and see curing times. Personally I use CND, Gelish and Gelaze and each have different lamps - I use the 18G lamp for Gelish (5s for foundation, 30s for polish and 30s for top coat) and a generic LED for Gelaze which takes 45s per coat.

Latest posts

Back