Shellac not staying on

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paula33

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve got clients saying there shellac is not lasting , some saying 5 days even! Could it be the lamps ? I’ve kept the box and it says you shouldn’t need to change them. It about 2 years old and only used for one beauty therapist, part time. It’s the CND lamp. Is anyone finding shellac not lasting?
I’m considering trying the OPI gel, could I use the CND lamp or do i need to buy OPI one?
Thanks guys

Can I jump on board with this post please?
I’ve learnt that clients need to have nails in pretty good nick for Shellac which a lot of mine don’t. Ive been using Nailfresh and Duraforce with some success but what Id really like is a “soft” overlay gel to support weak nails as I want to stay with CND (and my confidence has taken a hit). It used to be Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel apparently. Is there a product in the range I could use or failing that, any other good overlay gels?
Paula- I’ve got the latest LED CND lamp

There are a few things to keep in mind when applying shellac. Firstly make sure the base coat is applied super thin. This actually goes for all the costs. The bulbs in your lamp could well need changing. Prep is super important. If you have cuticle or debris on the nail it will lift. Educate your client to use oil daily and wear gloves etc x

Is it all clients or just some? If its only some I wouldn't imagine the fault lies with your lamp. Shellac doesn't agree with my nails regardless of what I do, it just doesn't stay on me but my mum gets weeks out of hers!

Hi, I’ve got clients saying there shellac is not lasting , some saying 5 days even! Could it be the lamps ? I’ve kept the box and it says you shouldn’t need to change them. It about 2 years old and only used for one beauty therapist, part time. It’s the CND lamp. Is anyone finding shellac not lasting?
I’m considering trying the OPI gel, could I use the CND lamp or do i need to buy OPI one?
Thanks guys
Is it the UV or LED lamp you have?

If it’s an LED lamp the bulbs won’t need changing. Shellac is fantastic on good nails however if the nails are thin and week or your a tech that’s in constant use with solvents then it’s not for you, try a more gel based product or go for a permanent.

If it’s an LED lamp the bulbs won’t need changing. Shellac is fantastic on good nails however if the nails are thin and week or your a tech that’s in constant use with solvents then it’s not for you, try a more gel based product or go for a permanent.
You could try the thicker top coat Duraforce. It takes longer to remove but is designed for weaker nails x

Thanks guys
Make sure your cuticle work is thorough as Shellac only adheres to nail plate so a good pep is essential to any gel polish lasting. Apply Base thinly, in fact all coats should be thin ‘ Thin to Win’. If clients nails are thin and weak apply a thin coat of Original Top Coat after Base before 2 coats of colour and finish with Original Top Coat. This gives a five layer application which is sometimes needed. It seems to work better than just Duraforce Top Coat. Remember that Express 5 is the weakest Top Coat and I find works best on strong nails or Toes. Also invest in the IBX system for clients with problems nails, this is an. excellent product and they will love you for it!

I’ve learnt that clients need to have nails in pretty good nick for Shellac which a lot of mine don’t. Ive been using Nailfresh and Duraforce with some success but what Id really like is a “soft” overlay gel to support weak nails as I want to stay with CND (and my confidence has taken a hit). It used to be Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel apparently. Is there a product in the range I could use or failing that, any other good overlay gels?
Have a look at the ibx system, they have a product (I think it might be their boost) that goes on the nail I think a bit like a gel overlay. I think it’s supposee to provide a supportive base for thin weak nails before applying gel polish x

i have found gelish structure gel after base coat works for me then two coats colour and duraforce top coat

Latest posts

Back