Shellac on a hydrotherapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justnailart

Reaction score
Hello, geeks.
I recently put some of my Halloween nail art on my FB page (done using normal polish) and I had a reply from a lady wanting some done for a Halloween party. She asked how much it would be for 8 fingers in Shellac & 2 nail art. (She wanted pumpkins.)

I advised that as the designs were done in polish, it would be better for them all to be done in polish as the 2 nail art fingers would wear quicker than the rest and would look odd after a few days. Also, I said that the design would be difficult to do with Shellac as they don't do an orange and would be tricky to achieve with additives.

She said she wasn't bothered as she wears Shellac at the moment but it doesn't last long as she works as a hydrotherapist and the heat from the water melts it and it starts to peel from the cuticle area. I said I haven't heard of heat affecting Shellac in this way so I asked if there was a high concentration of chlorine in the pool. She said no and insisted it was fine only putting Shellac on 8 fingers.

I have been thinking what it could be that could be making her Shellac peel in this way & can only come up with:

1) The nails soaking up water and having Shellac applied before they've dried out. Or the chlorine in the water.
2) The cuticle not being removed properly.
3) Thin, weak nails as she used to bite them.
4) Incorrect application/products/lamp etc. by her previous nail tech.

Has anyone else heared of something like this happening & could anyone offer any advice as to what might cause it & what might stop it happening again as I'd love to be able to leave her with a Shellac manicure that lasts. She's made an appointment for next week too so I'm hoping she could be regular.

Also, is there a way that I could do a black Shellac base and paint the nail art on using normal polish and Shellac top coat over the top? I'm fairly new to Shellac, I've done the training but yet to experiment with the nail art side of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks. xx

I know heat can affect Shellac, as my sister uses a steamer everyday for her business and it causes the Shellac to peel off so she cannot wear it. So maybe the heat from the pool is the problem.

Shellac topcoat should not be applied over normal nail polish. Tropix is an orange and additives have an orange, so you could use those to create your pumpkin.
xx

Thanks for the info! Didn't realise heat could affect it like that. Good to know.

I've just ordered the additives kit, and all the pigments, should arrive tomorrow. I've seen orange made before with Tropix and yellow, I think, so I will be experimenting to see what I can come up with.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I've never done this yet, but would I do it this way:

Base - cure
2 x colour coat - curing each layer
remove sticky layer
paint pumpkin in tropix - cure
press yellow additive into sticky layer to make orange
Paint on face in black - cure
Top coat - cure

:confused:

I would suggest using top coat before removing the sticky layer xx

I would suggest using top coat before removing the sticky layer xx

Ahhh, yes. That's where I'm getting confused because I know that it can remove the colour as well. I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help, I'll get there in the end!! :o

Check out the fingernailfixer on youtube she has some great videos on nail art 💅xx

Thanks, hun, will do. I've seen some of her videos but not got round to watching her nail art ones yet. (One thing at a time!) So excited to be getting my additives kit tomorrow! Can't wait to start having a play around! I'm so used to doing nail art using normal polish that now I'm having to really think about how a design can be done!! Best get my brain in gear & start watching!! Lol!!
Great advice as always on here. xx

Your welcome hun, pop some pics on once your done😃. xx

Your welcome hun, pop some pics on once your done��. xx

Ooooh, don't know if I dare!! :o Lol!! Will see what they turn out like first!! xx

Also, I'm really interested to know how the heat affects Shellac. What does it do to make it peel & is there anything that can be done to counteract the affects? Any thoughts?? Thanks xx

I'm sure you'll be fine hun, you could use some nail pop sticks to practice on. Xxx

Ps, when does your shellac peel off? Do you mean near the free edge? Xx

I'm sure you'll be fine hun, you could use some nail pop sticks to practice on. Xxx

Ps, when does your shellac peel off? Do you mean near the free edge? Xx

It's not mine that peels. It's a new client who I'm seeing tomorrow who says it peels off from the cuticle because of the heat in the hydrotherapy pool. She doesn't seem bothered by this and seems to accept that this is just what it does, but I'd love to leave her with Shellac that lasts as it should do. I've thought of some of the most obvious things but would love to know why it would do this. xx

I've used regular polish stripers for designs on shellac. Cured into the tacky layer for a moment to let it dry. If its thin it only takes a moment. I do top coat twice over art, tho. Never had any come off. There's a "soak off gels" album on my fb page.

Too bad shellac doesn't have a yellow. You could swirl a bit w red to make a pumpkin. :( and with blue for a leaf. Come on, Shellac! Make me a yellow!

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Just an update.
Not tried the pumpkin nail art yet but my client got back to me today to tell me how her Shellac I did lasted in the hydrotherapy pool today. The water was an extra hot 38 degrees and she says her nails are as perfect as when I did them. She is extremely happy with them and I am so pleased for her.

It turns out that the previous salon she went to didn't do that good a job after all. The lamp she used was not a cnd lamp, she didn't remove any cuticle, she put some 'treacle like substance' on after the base coat (??) and she was in there a grand total of 15 minutes!! Nor did they tell her about Solar Oil; she didn't have a clue what is was, what it did or why she should use it!! No wonder it fell off!!

Happy client... Happy me!! :D

Awww well done hun, it's a nice feeling when you have a happy client! xx

Well, just had a go at the pumpkin nail art. It's the first time I've done this using Shellac so I'm quite pleased, although the one I did with acrylic paints is a bit better! :o
Thanks for all the advice! : )
IMAG0709.jpg

Wow that's fab hun, well done its really good. I think I might give this ago now too. 😀xx

Just nail art
What was base ? Blackpool and glitter? Then tropix and additives for pumpkin

Just nail art
What was base ? Blackpool and glitter? Then tropix and additives for pumpkin

I don't have blackpool so I did dark lava, black additive, zillionaire, clearly pink, remove sticky layer, tropix, carve out pumpin face, yellow additive & top coat.
Going to get blackpool though when I do it for real as the black additive made a real mess!
Thanks and glad you like it! xx

Well, an update! Finally done my Shellac pumpkins for real! The photo really doesn't do them justice. All the other fingers are Beau. One happy client! :D
IMAG0734.jpg

Latest posts

Back