Shellac on highly buffed shiny natural nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yadagi

Reaction score
Just a quick question for those in the know?

I Shellac'd my friends nails on Friday with Decadence, but she had buffed them with one of those 4 sided buffing blocks and she had made them so shiny( and quite thin) that they looked like they had base coat on !!
I dehydrated them as much as I could with scrubfresh, but I am worried that they are not going to last ?
Does anyone have any experience, and should I have done anything different ?
Her nails are also slight spoon shaped as she is iron deficient .
Many thanks

xxx

Last edited:
I was told on training that you could use a koala buffer to reduce the shine if needed.

ive done it on mine before and they were fine, try it on yours and you'll see

Thank you girls ,
I couldn't find any advice on here , and it wasn't covered by the courses I did, and neither did I think to ask when I did my 1-2-1 training for Shellac .

I did her nails on Friday, so did not think to buff them, so will see now how long they last, and in future I will do the lightest of buff's if they do come off too soon. Let's see what happens ?
:hug:

just throwing this out there, but shellac does apply to shiny nails instead of buffed nails. my educator told me that if someone had dull and/or rough nails, it was better to buff them to a shine prior to the application.

i really don't know the answer, although i can say i've never had any problems with one of my clients who just has really shiny nails.

Thanks Eskimonails,

I haven't ever buffed and do not want to , she did them herself, and they were super shiny , like she had a layer of base coat on .

I did warn her that they may not last, but I will have to wait and see...?

Well that's good to know I guess... and less work for us if it can be applied to shiney or dull nails! :green:

just throwing this out there, but shellac does apply to shiny nails instead of buffed nails. my educator told me that if someone had dull and/or rough nails, it was better to buff them to a shine prior to the application.

i really don't know the answer, although i can say i've never had any problems with one of my clients who just has really shiny nails.

Yip same, and they say polish applies better if the nails shiny and smooth

Yip same, and they say polish applies better if the nails shiny and smooth

Applies and lasts? or just applies? Cuz I always find if my nails are really shiny my polish chips alot easier :confused: Not tried with Shellac so can't comment.

Applies and lasts? or just applies? Cuz I always find if my nails are really shiny my polish chips alot easier :confused: Not tried with Shellac so can't comment.

I havent used normal polish in forever :lol:

The only time I've ever buffed the top of a clients nails prior to shellac is on a few people who have weird bumps/lumps or roughness because of picking, peeling etc. I do have a funny story though that relates.

I got my Shellac in June and was so excited to apply it that I went right ahead a few days before my Shellac class. So the morning of, I was like oh crap I need to take it off because we were going to be practicing on each other. So I got out my remover wraps, pumped acetone onto them and waited 10 mins for them to soak off. Took off the wraps, and they were still perfect except for some dullness. I flipped out because I was going to be late and the Shellac WASNT coming off. I was running around my house and yelling at everyone who got in my way. So I just ended up filing off the Shellac. I went to my class and ended up being the only girl who showed so I basically got a 1-1. I painted a couple nails leaving the roughness under the shellac, and a couple we buffed to a shine. The former began peeling a few days later.

But the funniest part was when I got home and realized that morning in my utter panic of being late, I had been trying to soak off the Shellac with isopropyl alcohol. :lol:

Lol ! (probabs 'applies') hahahaha !
erm ! and it sticks too, but it probabs dont last the same length of time er not sure :confused:

but it definately 'Sticks' LOL

you burst my bubble ! im so confused now :lol:

But the funniest part was when I got home and realized that morning in my utter panic of being late, I had been trying to soak off the Shellac with isopropyl alcohol. :lol:

Hahaha oh god!!
You'll have to put a drop of food colouring in your bottles so you know what's what lol.

Hahaha oh god!!
You'll have to put a drop of food colouring in your bottles so you know what's what lol.

i have them labeled properly now. at the time i didnt. my mom laughed really hard at me. it's funny now. wasnt at the time. :green:

Lol !!!

Shiny nails are a good indication of oil built up ,

I would scrubfresh ( you do really have to scrub it and not saturate the nail) you will see the difference even with a buffed shiny nail.

You could always scrubfresh , nail fresh then scrub fresh again for peace of mind,

I wouldnt go over it with a koala , I would only do that for enhancement PREP not shellac PEP.

Shellac base coat adheres very well to natural nails , that's what it is made for! have faith in it!

If there is a problem then it is more than likely that your friend hAs over buffed and made her nails to thin... Not your fault or shellac's ,

Just a little update, my friend was on the phone to me the other day , and while we were talking she used her nail to scratch something off her car seat ,and the Shellac lifted and some of it came off.

Let see what happens to the rest .
:Scared:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back