Shellac on myself!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucyF

Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied my first Shellac to myself on Wednesday of last week (so five days ago). So far, I’ve only had a small chip on my thumb (attempting to open the back of a photo frame so my own fault!) and no peeling but on most of my nails there seems to be some wear on all the free edges which on a couple of nails, seems to be creeping over the top edge. I did a full PEP on my nails including CuticleAway followed by ScrubFresh (including under the free edge) and attempted to cap/seal all the free edges so I’m not sure where I’m going wrong.

I did find it quite tricky doing the Shellac on myself I wasn’t as thorough as possible but would love any thoughts that you might all have!

Thanks,

Lucy

I find that capping the free edge on my own hands causes the edges to be slightly too thick and i get either peeling or that worn edge look.

As soon as I stopped that then all was good! Of course on clients I do cap.

I find that capping the free edge on my own hands causes the edges to be slightly too thick and i get either peeling or that worn edge look.

As soon as I stopped that then all was good! Of course on clients I do cap.

I never cap my nails or my clients ... I 'seal' the edges on every coat with the lightest flick of my brush as I come down the sides and flick across to the centre; this small movement is all it takes to make a seal. I think the term 'cap' gets confused and makes people think they have to add an 'edge' to the Shellac on the free edge. NOT SO. Just a light seal is all it takes.

Hi all,

I did a full PEP on my nails including CuticleAway followed by ScrubFresh

Lucy

Did you remember to neutralise the CuticleAway with water or liquid soap and water before the ScrubFresh? Many people skip or forget this important step and it can lead to service breakdown

:hug:

Thanks for all the replies, it's fantastic to have such great access to professionals with so much invaluable knowledge!

I do think I may be concerning myself too much with ensuring the nails are capped rather than lightly sealed as you say Geeg, plus a couple of my nails do look a little on the thick side. I'm due to do my sister-in-laws nails for her birthday this weeks so I'll bear all these things in mind - practice makes perfect so they say!

With regard to deactivating the CuticleAway, this is something I nearly always forget but so far have always remembered just in time!

Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Back