Shellac on short nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJPN

Reaction score
I did a set of Shellac on a lady with very short nails today and it ended up going all over the skin as well as the nail. I did try to wipe as much as possible with an orange stick but even at the end there were little flecks of the Shellac on the ends of her fingers which I couldn't get off! Has anyone else had this? How did you get around it? Or do I just need more practice? I felt awful taking her money, she said it was fine and could hardly see it but I thought it was totally obvious!

It happens, but I generally remove it ASAP (before it goes under the lamp &cures) with an orangewood stick like you mentioned.
Practice will help, it's harder on shorter nails though isn't it!

Don't feel too bad, applying on super short nails is challenging!

Rather than using an orange wood stick, I find the best way to clean up skin is with a clean gel brush moistened with IPA (d.sperce). Much cleaner and easier!

Thanks both and will keep the brush in mind for next time Wee Nails thanks. Would alcohol work as well as disperse? That's what I use to remove the inhibition layer x

*Wee Fee not Wee Nails sorry ;) x

Iv also had this problem, it happens. I also find a brush an some acetone or dsperce and wipe on skin works for me before going into the lamp each time xx

I use alcohol and a gel brush and clean up is a snap with Venner. I also use to make my smile lines for french tip. Not sure if it works the same for your product..just thought I would try to help..good luck :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks all that's really helpful x

hi most of my clients have short nails, some even with no white tip at all! Holly L Schippers who is a CND ambassador has a great you tube video on short nails application, but i have found that the best way to do it is barely any product on the brush so it doesnt start flooding under and around the nail making for harder cleanup. first you do the polish on the nail itself as you normally would, then with the tiniest dot of polish on the tip on your brush, swipe the free edge (even if it seems like there is none). you then need to immediately!!!! get your orangewood stick and swipe it away from the skin and from under the nail taking care not to hurt your client and also around the edge of the cuticle. if you leave it until you have done all 10 nails before you clean up then the polish will have sunk in and will not remove as cleanly, even if you havent cured them yet.

Thanks hadassaf x

Latest posts

Back