Shellac or Gelish? New salon start up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraLush

Reaction score
Hi,

I am opening a new salon and am not a nail tech (hairdresser) but would love to hear your opinions.. Shellac or Gelish??

Thnx in advance,
Laura x

Hi there you will get mixed opinions about this as most people use almost every gel polish that's on the market and rate that particular one. It's all down to preference with me I'm mobile and love gelish but also offer shellac. If you intend offering it in your salon try both and see which you prefer to sell to your clients x
HTH xx

Hi Laura

If you use the search function you will find this question has been asked a tonne of times, everything you want to know will be answered :)

Its interesting that not many ever mention the performance and VFM factors of these products. If your launching a new salon its worth taking into account both these factors as they can influence your bottom line, margins and profitability.

For example some soak off gels on the market offer twice the quantity as top brands such as CND shellac and have more or less a similar performance which means you can cater for twice as many clients with the same bottle which also means much better margins on your range of services.

Just a different perspective.

I am a complete CND Shellac girl myself BUT a non biased response would be to use the search function on here and read all the answers and go and have a manicure with each and see which you prefer from application, wear and removal.

I wouldn't suggest just buying a bottle of each because to use it effectively and safely you'd have to buy each lamp to ensure a full and proper cure which you can't see from just looking at it and you'd need all the other relevant products for each system inc base and top coats and of course the proper training. Without using the WHOLE system you wouldn't see the full potential and results of each product.

If you can't make up your mind from just reading the endless info on here (and only YOU can make the decision for your own business) then try before you buy!

Good luck x

Hi Laura

Have a read of a blog by Shelby, it's very good and may help. Alternative is to buy a bottle for each system and try them out.

http://theapprenticebeautyblogger.wordpress.com/

That'll be quite an investment if you're only going to go with one system, as you will need to purchase a lamp for each system. You could try each yourself at a reputable salon, call it market research.

I'd consider supplier, support, ease if use, training, gross profit and personal preference in addition to reputation of each and how the products fit within your own brand.

I've chosen CND Shellac for my needs after doing my own research.

Good luck with the new salon :)

Just read aayspa above, who said it very well :)

Latest posts

Back