Shellac or Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debilour

Reaction score
Which is more popular? I am looking into training in one or the other, which would you consider to be the best to train in or are they pretty much the same?

I only offer gelish so cant give u a comparison but I know some of my clients couldn't keep shellac on but gelish lasts them 2-3 weeks. Id say go and have them both done on your own nails and see which you prefer. They are both great products and offer fab training so you cant go wrong either way x

Thank you for your reply! Think I'll try that.
A salon by me offers 'Celebrity Nails' , has anyone heard of these?

Shellac IS NOT A GEL POLISH! Gelish is ! Gelish came out after Shellac they tried to copy it but they can't copy their formula!

Sent from my SM-G900V using SalonGeek mobile app

Shellac IS NOT A GEL POLISH! Gelish is ! Gelish came out after Shellac they tried to copy it but they can't copy their formula!

I think you will find Gelish came out before Shellac.

Shellac is a gel polish. It contains gel.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

1. Yes, CND is a gel polish. It is a hybrid gel polish, but it is a gel polish nonetheless. Check your MSDS.
2. Gelish came out before CND Shellac. It was trademarked and launched about five months before CND Shellac. CND's marketing prowess meant that Shellac certainly was more successfully marketed, but Gelish was first. Neither product is a copy of the other and each sought to achieve different goals.

You could not go wrong with either Gelish or CND Shellac; they are both excellent products with their own strengths and weaknesses. Shellac - easier to remove, hypoallergenic, no buff (although many Gelish users don't buff either), excellent education and customer support. Gelish - LED curable, acetone resistant top coat, color range, less expensive, base and top coats can be used with other brands' color coats. I want to add that I think CND Shellac has better consistency of product and quality control. There have been too many examples of bad batches, color fading, and/or inconsistent formulae in Gelish.

That said, I think CND has the best training programs around and if training is what you're after, CND is the way to go.

1. Yes, CND is a gel polish. It is a hybrid gel polish, but it is a gel polish nonetheless. Check your MSDS.

2. Gelish came out before CND Shellac. It was trademarked and launched about five months before CND Shellac. CND's marketing prowess meant that Shellac certainly was more successfully marketed, but Gelish was first. Neither product is a copy of the other and each sought to achieve different goals.

You could not go wrong with either Gelish or CND Shellac; they are both excellent products with their own strengths and weaknesses. Shellac - easier to remove, hypoallergenic, no buff (although many Gelish users don't buff either), excellent education and customer support. Gelish - LED curable, acetone resistant top coat, color range, less expensive, base and top coats can be used with other brands' color coats. I want to add that I think CND Shellac has better consistency of product and quality control. There have been too many examples of bad batches, color fading, and/or inconsistent formulae in Gelish.

That said, I think CND has the best training programs around and if training is what you're after, CND is the way to go.

Thank you! This was exactly the answer I was looking for. 😃

Shellac is a hybrid polish not a gel polish and it was the first out

You go to buy it it is under shellac and there is a line that said gel polish

Read what NancySyd has written.

There is a little gel in shellac with their formula but Gelish is ALL GEL

Shellac = hypoallergenic with really nice colours

Gelish = not hypoallergenic with ultra awesome colours

That's my bias anyway.

Check your MSDS. CND Shellac is a gel lacquer. CND likes to market it by distinguishing it as a "power polish,", but that is just a marketing term. As a matter of chemistry, CND Shellac is a gel polish that contains solvents (unlike some other gel polishes that are 100% gel). Shellac is a hybrid gel polish and it is not the only one. And CND Shellac doesn't contain "a little gel." It is predominantly gel and has a little solvent. It wouldn't cure under UV otherwise. It is not the only hybrid gel polish out there either. Gelish and many other brands are 100% gel. BTW, nothing wrong with gel.

As for which came first, check Trademarkia, Nails Magazine, and even HNH and CND websites. Gelish was introduced in 2009, SND Shellac in 2010.

Last edited:
I use Gelish, their training and products are excellent, a great colour range too.

Try both for yourself, I could never keep shellac on very long compared to Gelish and the large range of colours available also swayed me to Gelish.

Both companies offer excellent training, you won't go wrong with either.

Ps Gelish was the first out there and Shellac does contain gel!!

Thanks for your informative replies Geeks!

I think I am probably swaying more towards Shellac as I like all of the CND products and they seem to offer a lot of support also.

Why does everyone get into these debates? The OP is looking for our help and advice and the benefit of our experience so that she can make a hard decision about training. Does it really matter what they are made of? Both are great products and offer brilliant training. That is why a lot of salons carry both!

Have you made a decision on your training?

Doh just read ur comment above.

Good luck with everything. I love being a nail tech.

Why does everyone get into these debates? The OP is looking for our help and advice and the benefit of our experience so that she can make a hard decision about training. Does it really matter what they are made of? Both are great products and offer brilliant training. That is why a lot of salons carry both!

Have you made a decision on your training?

No one has got into a debate, but when wrong information is given out then it will be corrected.

Personally I like to know what ingredients my products contain.

I use both Shellac and Gelish.

I first started out with Shellac. They do have a lovely array of colours but are limited with brights etc. Shellac lasts just as long as any other gel polish IMO.
Its has a beautiful high gloss finish and removes with 10 minutes.

I love Gelish for the colour choice. I find some colours very watery but then some Shellac colours are. The colour choice is far better than Shellac with brights, neons, glitters. Gelish only takes a few minutes longer than Shellac to remove.

It is down to personal choice really. Alot of techs seem to be moving away from Shellac in favour of other brands. The most popular one is Gel 2 at the moment. They have a great range of colours, including colour change.

Have you tested either product out?

maybe you should re-educate yourself on your 'facts' :)

Latest posts

Back