Shellac peeled off from free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca_13

Reaction score
Hi hope someone can help. I'm fairly new to shellac and a few days ago I did 2 sets on my mum and her friend. Same colours, same technique although one had long nails and the other short nails nearly past the free edge. Today I spoke to my mum and she said her friends have all peeled off from the free edge downwards. My mums are all still on and doing really well and still look beautiful. I'd just like some advice as to what may have gone wrong and how to can stop this on future paying clients.

Thanks in advance :) x

Hi was your mums friends nails the short ones?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Do these long nails were in good condition? I mean no splitting and flacking on free edge. I find if there are some splits on free edge shellac won't stay intact and will chip off. Brisa Lite smoothing gel underneath could help.

Would live to see answers for this, i had the same situation with a regular this week with french polish (I did my p.e.p & applied it thin) her nails are in good condition with no splitting & it happened 1 day after applying them, really don't know what it could be :/

Do these long nails were in good condition? I mean no splitting and flacking on free edge. I find if there are some splits on free edge shellac won't stay intact and will chip off. Brisa Lite smoothing gel underneath could help.

This is why I ask if they were the short ones? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's nothing to do with the length and it's all about the condition.

Often nails are short for a reason ... They bend, they flake, they are thin etc. neither Shellac on its own nor gel polish will last on nails that are not in good condition ... That is why we have enhancement products to make nails like the ones you describe, longer.

It's nothing to do with the length and it's all about the condition.

Often nails are short for a reason ... They bend, they flake, they are thin etc. neither Shellac on its own nor gel polish will last on nails that are not in good condition ... That is why we have enhancement products to make nails like the ones you describe, longer.

What would you Geeg suggest if a client doesn't want enhancement products on their bendy, flaky nails and still want shellac? Brisa Lite smoothing could help, but is it for sure that Shellac will stay on with BLS underneeth? And would I need to file off 100% of all the splits,flakes?

What would you Geeg suggest if a client doesn't want enhancement products on their bendy, flaky nails and still want shellac? Brisa Lite smoothing could help, but is it for sure that Shellac will stay on with BLS underneeth? And would I need to file off 100% of all the splits,flakes?

Brisa Lite Smoothing gel is made for those 'challenged' nails ... Precisely the reason CND brought it out; so it will improve the life of Shellac if a client has bendy flakey nails. If a client still wants a longer lasting manicure, then that is the time for Brisa Lite Removeabe Sculpting gel. If a client that needs it, doesn't want to have an enhancement product then she will have to put up with the result she gets from not having the right product on her nails! Our job is to find the right solution for our clients and to solve their problems.

To your last question ... It is always best to start off with the best surface you can provide; if that means going shorter to remove splits then that is what you should do ... Again, if they don't want to take that option then the service will not last as long. Their choice.

It's a journey ... Takes time to get nails long and strong again if they have been badly treated.. Let your client know that! But in a few short weeks, they will see the improvement for starting out the right way.

Last edited:
Brisa Lite Smoothing gel is made for those 'challenged' nails ... Precisely the reason CND brought it out; so it will improve the life of Shellac if a client has bendy flakey nails. If a client still wants a longer lasting manicure, then that is the time for Brisa Lite Removeabe Sculpting gel. If a client that needs it, doesn't want to have an enhancement product then she will have to put up with the result she gets from not having the right product on her nails! Our job is to find the right solution for our clients and to solve their problems.

To your last question ... It is always best to start off with the best surface you can provide; if that means going shorter to remove splits then that is what you should do ... Again, if they don't want to take thT option then the service will not last as long.

It's a journey ... Takes time to get nails long and strong again if they have been badly treated.. Let your client know that! But in a few short weeks, they will see the improvement for starting out the right way.

Thanks Geeg, that's right we are here to advice and give our professional view and it's up to a client to take it or ignore it.

Latest posts

Back