Shellac peeling off same finger!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxx

Reaction score
Okay, this is driving me crazy!

I have two clients that have been with me for a while and both (Non-related) do really well with their shellac and can last 2-3 weeks chip free - only on 9 nails! On their dominant hand their middle finger peels completely off in one!

I have been trained in shellac and been doing it for 2 years. I use correct lamp and follow correct protocol. Lamp bulbs are fine.

I honestly dont think it is something to do with the shellac or application as it would be all the nails but its just the middle finger comes clean off!

and client is adamant she is following correct after care, oiling, no picking.

can ANYONE enlighten me on this?!

It must be something the client is doing. It could be a hobby or work that is causing it, something thar reauires the use of that finger! Does she use face cream? She could be scooping it out of the pot with that finger... You could try using smoothing gel on just that one finger to see if it makes any difference?

Xxx

She relised she was doing that with her face cream so sent her away with spatulas and yup, still happening. Tried the smoothing gel under them all, and yup still came off!

the thing is there are no marks to say the shellac has been forced off!

Do you know what, the exact same thing happens to me. My middle finger on my dominant hand always peels or chips but the rest are fine. I think it's down to pushing the key code into the doors on the salon. She must be doing something to cause it, but unless you stalk her for a day you probably won't find out what x

It's getting really frustrating as today she was in and considered just having a normal polish instead of shellac... What else can I do?!

Could you tell her to come in for a repair? Won't take long and only cost 1/10th of the price of a full set :)

How is she rubbing in her face cream? She may scoop with a spatular but rub in with her finger? Maybe some gloves?

Opening cans/tins with nails? Then once it is slightly damaged any water/chemicals creams getting under the shellac?

As said bar stalking her, if she can't find the cause what else can you do.

In sure she would be back for shellac once her varnish chips ;) xx

she works full time and has two childern so doesnt really have the time to pop back in for the repair 7-10 days after for manicure. she scoops out her face cream with the spatula and put into her hand rubs into her hands then onto her face. surely if it was that the lot would be off? she knows this is happening and is being extremly careful but still seems to be happening!

Have you tried doing two top coats on the problem fingers?

As you've said, its unlikely to be anything to do with the product or application to be happening on one finger all the time. So the only real solution I can see is to find out what she's doing while obviously not realising it to pinpoint it as a cause.

This may sound a bit strange but perhaps you could suggest she wear something like a plaster on the top of that finger for a few days. I'm sure then that everything she does with that finger will become more obvious to her with a plaster in the way!

Maybe maybe maybe. .... It's up to the client to find out what she I'd doing to one finger.

Sell her a bottle of Vinylux and Vinylux ztop Coat in a matching colour to her Shellac and if it happens again, she can fix the colour herself and not have to spend time making an appointment to repair one nail that she is obviously damaging by whatever she is doing.

You know, it's not up to you to figure out what a client is doing ... It really is up to the client to take responsibility and notice and figure it out herself.

Latest posts

Back