Shellac-please reassure me I've done nothing wrong!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurasnowwhite

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a shellac client who is a nightmare! Always something wrong with her nails.

Anyway, I shellaced her yesterday lunchtime (took me 2 hours as she is so picky and critical, touches her hair when I've scrubfreshed, etc) and last night she text me and said the shellac is lifting away at the free edge on her thumb on one hand and her index finger on the other.

I should add that she chose the colour herself with no intervention from me, but seemed disappointed, thought it looked streaky (it wasn't, just the reflection of her kitchen light!)

She has sent me this picture, I think it looks like she has opened a can or something with her nails, especially for it to chip like this.

I have been shellacing since feb, although this isn't a hugely long time, it is the busiest treatment I offer and I've never had any issues.

She had a 50% off voucher so only paid £12.50, and I'm now going to have to go back today and repair for free (I offer free repairs within 24hrs, because its more likely it's something I've done wrong if its been that short a period of time) I just don't think it's something I've done though!!

I'm making a loss on this lady today, as she had a half price service and I'll have been there for 3 hours in all, with two trips in the car!

Problem is, I can't sack her as a client as much as I don't like doing her nails, because she is one of a group of ladies that are 90% of my regular client base!!

Thoughts on the damage would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349422142.018096.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349422142.018096.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 481
Ladies like this drive you insane.......it wouldn't matter what you do they will never be happy, I had a lady like this once and I tried to please her so bad it would take ages to do her nails, because she also stressed me out she never got the best from me as I dreaded her coming......in the end I just started to do what I do for anyone else! It's also sods law that this perticular type of client will have problems.....smile go fix it and and forget about it.....:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Hi all,

I have a shellac client who is a nightmare! Always something wrong with her nails.

Anyway, I shellaced her yesterday lunchtime (took me 2 hours as she is so picky and critical, touches her hair when I've scrubfreshed, etc) and last night she text me and said the shellac is lifting away at the free edge on her thumb on one hand and her index finger on the other.

I should add that she chose the colour herself with no intervention from me, but seemed disappointed, thought it looked streaky (it wasn't, just the reflection of her kitchen light!)

She has sent me this picture, I think it looks like she has opened a can or something with her nails, especially for it to chip like this.

I have been shellacing since feb, although this isn't a hugely long time, it is the busiest treatment I offer and I've never had any issues.

She had a 50% off voucher so only paid £12.50, and I'm now going to have to go back today and repair for free (I offer free repairs within 24hrs, because its more likely it's something I've done wrong if its been that short a period of time) I just don't think it's something I've done though!!

I'm making a loss on this lady today, as she had a half price service and I'll have been there for 3 hours in all, with two trips in the car!

Problem is, I can't sack her as a client as much as I don't like doing her nails, because she is one of a group of ladies that are 90% of my regular client base!!

Thoughts on the damage would be greatly appreciated.

There is no way she would have done something like that with out doing something she shouldn't have been doing. Shellac does not chip like that without client interference. That is not peeling that is damage. Not your fault and I would charge her as it is not anything you have done. If you do not start charging for things like this the word will get round like wildfire and you will become a complete mug. I would also charge a call out fee.

What concerns me more is the 2 hours. It takes me 40 minutes tops to do a removal and re-Shellac. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams what anyone can be doing when using Shellac, that would take 2 hours ... Even if the client does fidget !!

You are going to have to gain control of your clients, my dear, because right now they are certainly the ones controlling you.

Hi geeg, can I ask you a quick question do you do wet pep with cuticke remover or dry pep!
Ta Becs

There is no way she would have done something like that with out doing something she shouldn't have been doing. Shellac does not chip like that without client interference. That is not peeling that is damage. Not your fault and I would charge her as it is not anything you have done. If you do not start charging for things like this the word will get round like wildfire and you will become a complete mug. I would also charge a call out fee.

What concerns me more is the 2 hours. It takes me 40 minutes tops to do a removal and re-Shellac. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams what anyone can be doing when using Shellac, that would take 2 hours ... Even if the client does fidget !!

You are going to have to gain control of your clients, my dear, because right now they are certainly the ones controlling you.

Hi Geeg,

Thanks for your advice.

Generally, my appointments take approx 1hr 10mins, including setting up and packing away.

This client specifically requests full wet pep at every appointment, as a few weeks ago I did a dry pep and she complained that I had cheated her out of a weeks wear because I didn't apply it close enough to the cuticle (she was pushing for 3 weeks wear)

I think I'm going to have to let her go, I usually just put up with crap from her, just for a quiet life.

She is so passive aggressive!!!

She is taking the pee. I would tactfully suggest that maybe shellac was not for her and persuade her to have a harder wearing product such as acrylic, if she can't look after them properly ( obviously, in a tactful manner!) but that you'll do it for her this time as a good will feature.

What you could say is that you are performing your best service for her, and you are confident in your products and skills - as with all her friends/your clients but you understand that SHE feels she is not getting the most out of it - so you suggest she tries another therapist and see if she has better results there.

Then if/when her friends mention it you can feign complete disbelief "I just don't understand why it wouldn't work for her when it's the same for everyone else but I'm hoping another tech can do something for her". Then you're not making out its because she's a pita.

If she protests you could say we'll give it one more shot then if you encounter any problems after that I'm advising you to try elsewhere. That gives her fair notice to sort her act out! Xx

Yeah she has done that, not you! I have a chip just like that in my Gelicure from me being an idiot and picking at something that made it chip.

I knew it wasn't me!!

I think I'll tell her that maybe shellac doesn't suit her lifestyle and perhaps she needs something a little more hard wearing, which I cannot offer.

I'm going to giver her ANOTHER copy of the aftercare advice and tell her if she experiences any further issues after this then I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help her.

There is only so much abuse one person can take!! She has talked about me behind my back, referred to me as a pushy saleswoman to other clients because I recommended solar oil and never cleans under her nails, so I end up digging out spices and general foodie detritus (she is a cook, but one who can't understand that turmeric can stain her nails!!)

Oh well!!

Wow. She sounds like a delight!!

Hi geeg, can I ask you a quick question do you do wet pep with cuticke remover or dry pep!
Ta Becs

I nearly always do a dry prep. But don't forget I know when I'm done. I have been removing cuticle for years and years; I know when i've got it all. If you are not sure then wet prep is fine it just takes longer and those nails have to be dry before application.

I knew it wasn't me!!

I think I'll tell her that maybe shellac doesn't suit her lifestyle and perhaps she needs something a little more hard wearing, which I cannot offer.

I'm going to giver her ANOTHER copy of the aftercare advice and tell her if she experiences any further issues after this then I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help her.

There is only so much abuse one person can take!! She has talked about me behind my back, referred to me as a pushy saleswoman to other clients because I recommended solar oil and never cleans under her nails, so I end up digging out spices and general foodie detritus (she is a cook, but one who can't understand that turmeric can stain her nails!!)

Oh well!!

I would not blame Shellac. Take PixieBeauty's advice it is absolutely excellent advise.

I always tell my ladies the same thing, Shellac is like a satsuma, it don't peel its self! If there was a problem with your application and it was lifting it would be just that, lifting, if it has been removed from the nail it has either been knocked or pulled.

I nearly always do a dry prep. But don't forget I know when I'm done. I have been removing cuticle for years and years; I know when i've got it all. If you are not sure then wet prep is fine it just takes longer and those nails have to be dry before application.

Thanks geeg! I always do wet pep maybe why I take so long!!

Latest posts

Back