Shellac question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarLouise

Reaction score
This afternoon I had a Shellac manicure, but the therapist used Shellac colour and gellish base and top coat? Is this correct? And also noticed a stylist pouring a clear liquid into a Shellac bottle then using it? Strange! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Firstly if you're paying for Shellac then you should get Shellac not a mixture of that and other products so no it's not right.
I'm not sure what the liquid would have been so can't really comment except to say it's not right as there is no reason to do such a thing. Some places water down products or buy cheap products from eBay and put them in Shellac bottles, I'm not saying that's what they are doing,without knowing what the liquid is I can't say, but these things do go on in unprofessional salons.

This afternoon I had a Shellac manicure, but the therapist used Shellac colour and gellish base and top coat? Is this correct? And also noticed a stylist pouring a clear liquid into a Shellac bottle then using it? Strange! Xxx

You did not have a Shellac manicure then. A Shellac manicure requires base, color and top coats from CND Shellac using the CND lamp. HNH does say that its base and top coats can be used with other brands' color coats (and then you would not call it a Gelish manicure, but a gel manicure), but CND says that Shellac components cannot be used separately.

Last edited:
Firstly if you're paying for Shellac then you should get Shellac not a mixture of that and other products so no it's not right.
I'm not sure what the liquid would have been so can't really comment except to say it's not right as there is no reason to do such a thing. Some places water down products or buy cheap products from eBay and put them in Shellac bottles, I'm not saying that's what they are doing,without knowing what the liquid is I can't say, but these things do go on in unprofessional salons.

I have had Shellac before where they use all Shellac products, just wondered if it was a different technique. I won't be going back there then lol. Hope it doesn't affect the length of my manicure. Xx

No that is def not right. All products should be CND Shellac. If it affects the length of your manicure I think you should go back and point out that products were used for different ranges and are they sure thats the right thing to do?? When they know you have sussed them they will be nice I'm sure :rolleyes:

edit to add: I'm not saying there's anything wrong with gelish, but it should be used with gelish base and top coats.

You dont need the shellac lamp by the way. Just the other bits.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

For the correct shellac manicure you should have the lamp. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean you need to tell others that its right.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Shellac will only cure in the cnd lamp, although it may seem cured it can cause allergic reactions if undercured. Not worth the risk in my opinion

Shellac will only cure in the cnd lamp, although it may seem cured it can cause allergic reactions if undercured. Not worth the risk in my opinion

I started out using a non CND UV lamp and since purchasing an authentic CND lamp, my client's and my own manicures last longer and chip less. There is definitely a huge difference.
Also, I buy the large size topcoats and just refill the small bottle... The large bottle is more economical but is too tall for the compartment in my case. I still would not trust the salon if I saw someone ELSE pouring into a CND bottle.

You dont need the shellac lamp by the way. Just the other bits.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes you do. That's what it is for.

Latest posts

Back