Shellac removal advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager beaver

Reaction score
hi geeks, I have a client in tomorrow for orly Gelfx application on fingernails, however she has shellac on which I obviously need to remove. Am I ok with using the removal products I have (I have the Gelfx remover plus I also have an easy flow gel polish remover)- my normal routine is to lightly buff off top coat, apply the remover to the pads which are attached to foil and place around fingernails, place in heated mitts for 10mins then gently scrape off excess if needed. Thanks in advance xx

I usually take shellac off by placing finger tips in acetone light scrape off after 5mins of soak repeat if necessary then lightly buff x

You shouldn't need to buff shellac at all. Wrap with foil and acetone if you have no nourishing remover and slide off after about 8 mins. Should come off lovely. The only problem is where they swear blind its shellac and it doesn't budge. Unless I applied it, I always buff the top lightly before I wrap. You should never need to soak shellac in acetone.

Vic x

If it's genuine Shellac there's no buffing or scraping required. Although as Squidernetball says if I haven't applied it then I don't know for sure what it really is and will carefully buff off the top coat first.

All the salons where I live that do genuine CND shellac soak the nails in acetone, comes off In 5 mins, saves fooling around with foil and saves loads of time! When I say lightly buff its to prep the nail to start new set of nails [emoji4]

Fab thanks everyone xx

I've never known shellac to come off in 5 mins by soaking, I find it much easier and quicker by wrapping and then removing that way!

As the other ladies said though, if you haven't applied it yourself then buff first just in case!

Cnd does want you to soak you should wrap I foils ! Soaking is not good for your nails or skin!

I usually take shellac off by placing finger tips in acetone light scrape off after 5mins of soak repeat if necessary then lightly buff x

This is not CND protocol for Shellac removal. CND clearly say that a small pad soaked in remover and placed on the nail then wrapped in foil is the proper removal. They do not advocate placing fingers in a bowl of acetone every 2 weeks.

Wrapping stops the acetone from drying out and irritating the skin. You also shouldn't need to buff the nail if you are applying a new set of CND Shellac x

Than,s everyone I did the removal last Sunday following the advice given and it came off perfectly x

Latest posts

Back