Shellac removal difficulties

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, no. When we use the term Shellac, we are referring to CND Shellac. It's a product.

Shellac isn't a gimmick. It's a product. One of many that CND have produced.

CND have trademarked and copywritten the word "shellac". Their shellac is a gel polish requiring UV lights to cure.

The definition of shellac: lac resin melted into thin flakes, used for making varnish. eg: any nail polish on the market; err, rather, any polish that is a good polish; not necessarily professional.

CND have a gimmick and it is called CND Shellac".

This isn't a bad thing. I'm just saying it IS a gimmick.

Exactly like Young Nails have a gimmick and his name is Greg Salo. They also have a gimmick in their brand of e-file, their brand of glitter acrylic, their brand of gel.

Tammy Taylor may be a human being, but she is also a product and a gimmick. Her gimmick is "Nail Diva". And she also has product lines that are gimmicks too.

Again, gimmick isn't necessarily a bad thing. But to say that ONLY CND is a shellac simply because that's what they call that particular product, is what's buying into the "gimmick". And misrepresenting what shellac actually is.

And yet again, *I* would use them if I could afford them. But, I wouldn't convince my clients that what they are getting is some special service that only CND can offer.

Not when I can and do, do the same things with the Gelish brand, or the ASP brand even (all other brands have a method to using their polish accurately. That's even a gimmick!)

Does that clear it up some? Again, I honestly (despite what I am saying) have no horse in this race. Truly! I just wanted to clarify my position here.

(and it's okay if we disagree!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:
I'm so confused what this has to do with me removing CND Shellac as originally stated!
I was taught by my educator that CND Shellac needs no roughing up, and therefore that's what I'm going by.
Sorry I'm just baffled by the relevance of this.

I'm so confused what this has to do with me removing CND Shellac as originally stated!
I was taught by my educator that CND Shellac needs no roughing up, and therefore that's what I'm going by.
Sorry I'm just baffled by the relevance of this.

It's just me, wondering again, why the major differences in product use. :) If your CND educator told you not to rough it up, then don't. I guess CND doesn't need it.

We are TAUGHT NOT TO ROUGH UP SHELLAC!!!!!! I have no problem removing shellac!

Sent from my SM-G900V using SalonGeek mobile app

We are TAUGHT NOT TO ROUGH UP SHELLAC!!!!!! I have no problem removing shellac!

OKAY!:p:D

(and for a brief moment, I thought my husband had joined the forum as he's a shareholder Packer fan. haha)

I just have to learn that what you guys mean by Shellac is actually just gel polish. :D

As a point of clarity, to avoid confusion, we generally refer to products by their brand names here. So when someone says Shellac, they DO NOT mean just a gel polish, they specifically mean CND Shellac.

The actual chemistry of Shellac differs from a gel polish and this is why both application and removal has subtle differences.

That is not an opinion it is a scientific fact. Check out and compare MSDS of Shellac and a gel polish - the ingredients are different and so require slightly different methods. One of which is that the top coat is fully soakable without requiring that the seal be broken first.

CND have trademarked and copywritten the word "shellac". Their shellac is a gel polish requiring UV lights to cure.

Again, gimmick isn't necessarily a bad thing. But to say that ONLY CND is a shellac simply because that's what they call that particular product, is what's buying into the "gimmick". And misrepresenting what shellac actually is.

And yet again, *I* would use them if I could afford them. But, I wouldn't convince my clients that what they are getting is some special service that only CND can offer.

I'm sorry but you're dead wrong on this point. Only CND can call their gel polish Shellac. They have trademarked the wording (capital S). The courts have already spoken on this one. And shellac (small s) has nothing whatsoever to do with any gel polish. Yes, shellac has become a generic term for all gel polishes, but that is an incorrect usage and in this forum, to eliminate confusion, we use the correct terminology.

And yes, although CND Shellac is a gel polish/lacquer, CND Shellac does have a different removal than other gel polishes because its top coat is not acetone resistant so it does not require buffing to break the seal. And yes, it is a special service that only CND can provide. They've defined it and they've certified salons and techs who use it. Whether you value that is entirely another matter, but like "Martinizing" dry cleaning, Jacuzzi hot tubs, or Hoover vacuum cleaners, it is a real thing. Call it a gimmick if you wish, but it has legal meaning.

Oh I can assure you that I have been educated. This has definitely made a decision for me.

To OP-I had some problems removing Shellac in the winter, I think because of the "cold hands" thing, lol. 2 things that really helped me: first I started using a heating pad under clients hands. And second is half way through removal I would go back and squeeze every wrapped finger (just really fast), and do it also before taking the wrap off (one at a time)-I think it really helped with penetration and my removal is going faster now.
Other things to consider are what others mentioned-really saturating a cotton pad with remover, wrapping tightly (I just use foil), using a cotton pad soaked in remover to rub/wipe over each nail right after you remove the polish. And of course applying thin coats, especially the base coat.
You don't need to rough up the top, with practice your removal will go fast and easy :)

Oh I can assure you that I have been educated. This has definitely made a decision for me.

And NailsbyToni-I don't really see a point in your argument. What's wrong with calling products by their brand name? Be it CND Shellac, Gelish, Gellux, Gelcolor by OPI-how else are we supposed to identify different products? Each one of them have slight differences (or not that slight, lol), and their own procedures (even though they might have a lot that is common amongst them), tips and tricks. If you used Shellac you'd know that it applies and removes differently from other gel polishes (and I've dealt with several different brands). And if you don't use it, don't you think that commenting on a thread referring to that specific product and bashing other techs giving advice is just not that helpful? Sorry, just my opinion.

Too funny I own a share too lol I hope you are having a better time removing your gel and another thing don't be afraid to use enough acetone!

Latest posts

Back