Shellac shrinking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
I have noticed that sometimes when I do shellac even after I make sure I paint the whole nail, go as close as possible to the cuticle and go over the free edge properly, by time I have done all of the fingers on one hand sometimes the shellac moves- I go really close to the edges and cuticles then the next time I look there is a gap like the shellac has shrank. I usually notice this on the frat coat of colour.

Has anyone else ever had this probslem? It doesn't happen often I'm not sure if it is certain colours or perhaps I don't shake enough or properly? Not sure what the problem could be?
Once I do the second colour coat it usually will stay in place.

Hi. It has happened to me with different colours Rubble and even worse with Dark Lava which I had to remove and start again. I felt embarrassed. Second time around it was better but moving back still.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

This used to happen when I used Gelish the only time it's happened with Shellac is if I've applied the base coat too thick an the 10 second cure isn't enough for the amount I've accidentally applied. Not sure if that's why it happened but that's the time it's happened.

How thick are your coats? U can always recap the free edge before it goes into the lamp or flash cure a few at a time and do a full cure for all 5 nails if you find it happens with certain colours.

Other geeks may have better advice for you though x

I have noticed that sometimes when I do shellac even after I make sure I paint the whole nail, go as close as possible to the cuticle and go over the free edge properly, by time I have done all of the fingers on one hand sometimes the shellac moves- I go really close to the edges and cuticles then the next time I look there is a gap like the shellac has shrank. I usually notice this on the frat coat of colour.

Has anyone else ever had this probslem? It doesn't happen often I'm not sure if it is certain colours or perhaps I don't shake enough or properly? Not sure what the problem could be?

I agree with the comment above me.
Do 1 nail on one hand and flash cure, while that's flash curing do one nail on the other hand. I till you've done both. Then when you've done that cure each hand for the full amount of time before applying Second coat
Xxxx

It could be that I'm applying it too thickly, sometimes the shellac colours come out so transparent That indo the polish a little thicker :-s I know it's better to do three thin coats then two thicker coats so I'm going to start making sure I apply more thinly and hopefully this will solve things. Thank you xx

Make sure you are really scrubfreshing the whole nail including the free edge Shake the Shellac well and and cap the free edge..

Sounds like you are using too much base coat and not shaking the bottle well enough

Shake bottle... seal edges and pull off any excess shellac before curing ... with some colours I cure 3 fingers then the 2 and make sure to pull the bottom coat over the free edge x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I also have this problem. So is it just a coincidence that it seems to happen in my case with dark colours such as dark lava? Is the cause definitely a thick base coat and an unshaken bottle ?

I don't really have many problems but I find grape gum really awful. I do everything I would normally but it just won't stay, I hate it, shame as it's a lovely colour!

Karaxxx

Well I had a one to one with a CND trainer last Friday who said if I applied my colour coat a 'LITTLE' thicker than I have been, this would help reduce shrinkage......interesting!!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just reading this thread - I have similar problems with cuccio veneer. Glad to hear it's not just me or the brand!

I don't really have many problems but I find grape gum really awful. I do everything I would normally but it just won't stay, I hate it, shame as it's a lovely colour!

Karaxxx

With this colour.. I find if you dry brush the base coat before applying your colour it will help with shrinkage :) xx

I do like AprilKate does and "flash cure" after polishing one or two nails (depending on how quickly the color "moves") during the first coat application and then cure completely when that hand is entirely polished.
I then flash cure after polishing two or three nails during the second coat application and then cure completely.
I usually always do three coats of color, and by the third coat I don't need to flash cure at all. For the third coat, I paint one hand entirely, and then cure completely. Then two coats of top coat - not applied too thickly.
I have many repeat customers very happy with beautiful, rich colored nails that last usually two to three weeks with very few chips.

Latest posts

Back