Shellac softening off in swimming pools

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawniewall

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a beauty and nail professional for 13 years.. Shellac is new to me, but I know I am applying it correctly as I have had lots of success. However, there was one client who returned after she went swimming.. she said the Shellac got soft around the cuticle areas on some nails, so she picked off the rest. (naughty client, but she is an ex-nail biter so I can kind of understand)
I just wondered, if anyone else had heard of this happening before?

Hiya,

exposure to household chemicals including chlorine can affect Shellac wear. Clients that regularly swim or soak in Jacuzzis may not experience 14+ day wear with Shellac. However they should experience longer wear with Shellac than polish.

thatz the cnd info on chlorine affecting shellac xx

Seriously... how would she know that the Shellac had gone soft in zone 3 if she hadn't have had a little pick at it? :wink2:
I have Shellac on my own natural nails... I'm in and out of the pool a LOT and haven't suffered from this problem. Neither have any of my clients who have Shellac and we live in the sun, all have pools and use them frequently. OK, so our chlorine level isn't as high as a public pool but all the same, the usage would surely show problems if any were to be had?!

Latest posts

Back