Shellac - studio white gone yellow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have the same combo of studio white and zillionairre on another friend so will wait and see how hers go. When I say they've turned yellow, I don't mean Bart Simpson yellow, just yellowish but they've defo not stayed the original white.

Will see what transpires with the next lot....... xx

Just a thought but do they put any top coat on them selves to pro long their manicure? I have a client that puts a hardner over sometimes and that goes yellow :) xx

Just a thought but do they put any top coat on them selves to pro long their manicure? I have a client that puts a hardner over sometimes and that goes yellow :) xx
Hi, no, they don't use hardener. I'm thinking it might be coz they have them on for 3 weeks that the colour goes yellowy, which is a shame coz alot of people want them on for 3 weeks.......... xx

Hi, no, they don't use hardener. I'm thinking it might be coz they have them on for 3 weeks that the colour goes yellowy, which is a shame coz alot of people want them on for 3 weeks.......... xx
Shellac does not yellow with age. Now one way or another you will have to accept that Shellac does not yellow. It can stain like all porous products but even that is Rare ... So rare that I haven't seen it on a client of mine yet in 2 years ... I was a tester for quite a sometime before Shellac was launched.

Now, let's see ... French is probably the most requested Shellac service we do. Thousands and thousands of people wear Shellac French ... You would think with those numbers that we would have had feedback from thousands about the White going yellow IF Shellac itself discoloured with age .... Funnily enough, we have not had that feed back and people who may have had some nails affected have acknowledged that they have 'got into something' And caused the discoloration themselves.

One of the USPs of ALL CND products is that they never yellow with age .... Colour stability is one of the things we are known for ... So........... I'm afraid you are going to have to accept that some outside influence has stained the product. Regrettable but something that with a little care can be avoided in the Future.

For what it's worth, I do not wear Shellac French on my fingernails but most of the summer I have worn Shellac on my toes ... In and out of the pool, in the sun, suntan lotion occasionally and I have worn that French without it yellowing for more than six weeks ... Yes six weeks. Now I never expected that my French would yellow and it didn't so it was no surprise to me that it did not. I find the Shallac top coat quite resistant to staining ... I even put some hair tint onto some nails and left it for 15 minutes before rinsing off ... I did this because a potential customer who is a well known hairdresser asked me to as she wanted to know. The tint did slightly discolour the top coat but it was hardly noticeable after 15 minutes which surprised me as with gels, the staining is allot worse. I know the product and I know what it can take.

Last edited:
Shellac does not yellow with age. Now one way or another you will have to accept that Shellac does not yellow. It can stain like all porous products but even that is Rare ... So rare that I haven't seen it on a client of mine yet in 2 years ... I was a tester for quite a sometime before Shellac was launched.

Well it may be rare but it was on both my 2 people and someone else on here said they've seen it too

Now, let's see ... French is probably the most requested Shellac service we do. Thousands and thousands of people wear Shellac French ... You would think with those numbers that we would have had feedback from thousands about the White going yellow IF Shellac itself discoloured with age .... Funnily enough, we have not had that feed back and people who may have had some nails affected have acknowledged that they have 'got into something' And caused the discoloration themselves.

That's great to know, coz means I've invested in a good system

One of the USPs of ALL CND products is that they never yellow with age .... Colour stability is one of the things we are known for ... So........... I'm afraid you are going to have to accept that some outside influence has stained the product. Regrettable but something that with a little care can be avoided in the Future.

What extra care do you advise?, in my mums' case she wears gloves for absolutely everything as per the aftercare advice and much more beyond that............
For what it's worth, I do not wear Shellac French on my fingernails but most of the summer I have worn Shellac on my toes ... In and out of the pool, in the sun, suntan lotion occasionally and I have worn that French without it yellowing for more than six weeks ... Yes six weeks. Now I never expected that my French would yellow and it didn't so it was no surprise to me that it did not. I find the Shallac top coat quite resistant to staining ... I even put some hair tint onto some nails and left it for 15 minutes before rinsing off ... I did this because a potential customer who is a well known hairdresser asked me to as she wanted to know. The tint did slightly discolour the top coat but it was hardly noticeable after 15 minutes which surprised me as with gels, the staining is allot worse.
Do you mean soak off gel as I have never encountered staining with white hard gels.

know the product and I know what it can take.

It's very good to know they lasted so long as I like to feel confident in a product before offering it

Thank you for your help

Just be aware of normal aftercare and be wary of the things we all know will 'surface' stain a porous product. Most things are a case of using ones common sense!

Every other person who has responded to your post has had an explanation for any staining apart from your mum who you may think is perfect but obviously has not been aware or realised what she has done.

I have complete faith in the product. You can too.

Last edited:
If it helps, ive done lots of french too with the studio white and the 3wk stretch, and they came back just as white as when i first did them
(maybe they are secret pot smokers, lol)

Every other person who has responded to your post has had an explanation for any staining apart from your mum who you may think is perfect but obviously has not been aware or realised what she has done.

There is no need to be rude. They had "ideas" which I was able to catorgorically discount (she has NOT used hardener/dyed her hair/used sunscreen/sunbeds/mopped up curry/peeled oranges/smoked)

Obviously we will never know what has caused this with both people and I can only hope it just doesn't happen again. I currently have it on my teenage daughter and am keeping a constant and close eye on it.

I was doing a friend of mines nails with l&p, she would come back with yellowing if her top coat. We finally realised was her prescription face wash that was the problem. Just another thought.

Sent from my PC36100 using SalonGeek

There is no need to be rude. They had "ideas" which I was able to catorgorically discount (she has NOT used hardener/dyed her hair/used sunscreen/sunbeds/mopped up curry/peeled oranges/smoked)

Obviously we will never know what has caused this with both people and I can only hope it just doesn't happen again. I currently have it on my teenage daughter and am keeping a constant and close eye on it.

Many people have given ideas on what it could be and yes, you've dismissed every single one, so I think it's maybe just best to now put it down as one of those things and move on with it. I don't think you need to keep a "constant" eye on your daughters nails, seems a bit extreme to me, if you're not enjoying the product then don't use it, stick to the solid colours perhaps but none of us can help anymore than we have done, so seems a bit pointless going over and over it

Waffle, there's so much left to interpretation in posts. Some of us are straight shooters...nothing rude....we just "bring it." Once you get to know each of our unique personalities, you'll be able to better judge the tone of our responses.

In the meantime, please read each response with an open mind and take each in the spirit given.

Many people have given ideas on what it could be and yes, you've dismissed every single one,

Well I thought I was supposed to "dismiss" things that she 100% hasn't done! I can't say yes it's coz she smoked when she doesn't!

As I've already said, we will probably never know what it was. I'm more than happy to leave it.

Well I thought I was supposed to "dismiss" things that she 100% hasn't done! I can't say yes it's coz she smoked when she doesn't!

As I've already said, we will probably never know what it was. I'm more than happy to leave it.

And has been said over and over, people can tell you that they are definitely wearing gloves and not touching things but it isn't always the truth, especially when it's our parents or friends, they don't want to get into trouble!! :lol: You are not with her 24/7 I assume, so can't know for sure??

I had a friend who's Shellac chipped on 2 nails, she assured me and swore blind she had done nothing with her nails, no picking at things etc and was using her solar oil daily. I went to see her a few days ago and she sat constantly picking at her teeth, flicking her nails and her solar oil has been barely touched. She wasn't even aware she was doing it until I pointed it out!

Like others have said, you cannot categorically say she hasn't 100% done any of the things suggested or something else for that matter when you are not there to see. That's all we are trying to say to you, the product itself doesn't yellow on it's own.

Latest posts

Back