Shellac - studio white gone yellow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've only recently invested in Shellac and am using on friends and family at mo. I did my mate a Shellac FM 3 weeks' ago with Studio white and when she came back yesterday for removal I was shocked to see that the white had turned yellowy. It looked horrible. Is this what happens with the studio white? I applied as below:-
Dry PEP,
Basecoat
1 thin coat of Moonlight and Roses
2 thin coats of Studio White for the tips
Topcoat
They looked lovely when I did them but I'm concerned that maybe this is what happens and they go yellow over time?
She really looks after her nails and wears gloves for housework etc and applies solar oil daily.
Any ideas what's happened or is this normal after 3wks wear? (gulp)
Thanks for your help xxx
P.s. she doesn't smoke (in case that may be a reason for the white going yellowy)

Hi all,
I've only recently invested in Shellac and am using on friends and family at mo. I did my mate a Shellac FM 3 weeks' ago with Studio white and when she came back yesterday for removal I was shocked to see that the white had turned yellowy. It looked horrible. Is this what happens with the studio white? I applied as below:-
Dry PEP,
Basecoat
1 thin coat of Moonlight and Roses
2 thin coats of Studio White for the tips
Topcoat
They looked lovely when I did them but I'm concerned that maybe this is what happens and they go yellow over time?
She really looks after her nails and wears gloves for housework etc and applies solar oil daily.
Any ideas what's happened or is this normal after 3wks wear? (gulp)
Thanks for your help xxx
P.s. she doesn't smoke (in case that may be a reason for the white going yellowy)

I havent used my studio white yet but have had a few clients who have cream puff tips anf they too came back yellow. they doont smoke and use gloves so there must be something in it to make it go yellow after a while. one lady only had it on for 2 weeks and it was yellow. ax

I havent used my studio white yet but have had a few clients who have cream puff tips anf they too came back yellow. they doont smoke and use gloves so there must be something in it to make it go yellow after a while. one lady only had it on for 2 weeks and it was yellow. ax

Ooh, Gosh that doesn't sound too promising does it!!xxxx

Hi, I use both studio White and cream puff and they always come back fine, some even after 3 weeks, the only one that discoloured came back pink but she dyed her hair red so she knew it was her fault, lol. Do any of them use tanning products? This will stain the nails yellow/brown. :) x

Thanks for the reply, no she doesn't use any tanning products or go on a sunbed, or dye her hair herself :eek: xx

I've only had it happen once with Cream Puff. My client said she wasn't in anything. I want to believe her, but since then no problems. My guess is they used a product (i.e. hair products) that may have done it.

There is nothing in the Shellac that is making it go Yellow.

Shellac is pouros, so it can sometimes stain... no different to natural nails, so if you used tan or anything that had a high pigment, then it just makes sense that your Nails may stain.

She could have used tan, or even touched spices while cooking and this is what made her nails yellow. (Turamic would even stain skin)

It really doesn't happen very often and I haven't had a problem with it yet myself.

It's very important that you cover the entire nail with the top coat and seal the ends when you complete your Shellac service, because the colours are more porous then the top coat, so will be more likely to stain.

So if you miss any spots when applying the top coat and haven't sealed the ends, you may notice staining in those areas if your client touches off something like tan.

HTHs

I've not experienced it on a client but I did find my own studio white tips went yellow when I had used my hand to wipe my nan bread around to mop up my curry juice!!

I've not experienced it on a client but I did find my own studio white tips went yellow when I had used my hand to wipe my nan bread around to mop up my curry juice!!

That made me laugh!!

I once had a client who had a mysterious yellow thumb nail (on the white) and we finally realised she was using that thumb to start off her orange that she had for lunch every day!!!

Any soak off product is porous .. This means there is the possibility that the surface can become stained just the way natural nails can become stained.

Shellac does not go yellow by itself. The client has come into contact with something. Have to say I have not seen it happen to any of our clients but it can happen in theory to anyone who comes into contact with a substance that can dye the colour ... Tea bag squeezers, fake tan, hair dye, as someone mentioned certain spices, smoking etc. The list is not exclusive.

I had a client who had pow Brisa gel and had gone camping and had brown staining around the zone 3 area which had grown out. Slightly came out with filing. Looked the same colour as tanning lotion. No tanning or anything used. Only thing she could think of that was different in that time was that she had used mosquito repellent?

Hi, thanks for the replies. Ok, my mum was back yesterday for her re-shellac and her studio white had gone yellow too! HOWEVER she also had a thin coat of zillionairre over the studio white so now I'm stumped even more coz I would've thought the zillionairre would've protected the white tips even more than just the topcoat. My mum is meticulous about aftercare and uses gloves for everything - even when applying hair products!
She has not used any spices/tanning/dyes/peeled oranges or used any detergents/chemicals without wearing latex gloves. Washes her hands with mild handwash and uses solar oil at least twice a day.
So, any ideas coz I'm getting very nervous of this studio white now.......... xx

Hi, thanks for the replies. Ok, my mum was back yesterday for her re-shellac and her studio white had gone yellow too! HOWEVER she also had a thin coat of zillionairre over the studio white so now I'm stumped even more coz I would've thought the zillionairre would've protected the white tips even more than just the topcoat. My mum is meticulous about aftercare and uses gloves for everything - even when applying hair products!
She has not used any spices/tanning/dyes/peeled oranges or used any detergents/chemicals without wearing latex gloves. Washes her hands with mild handwash and uses solar oil at least twice a day.
So, any ideas coz I'm getting very nervous of this studio white now.......... xx

The studio white is not yellowing because of some defect with the product. As it has already been said. Soak off gels are pourous, they need to be to allow the remover to penetrate.

While your clients may be very good with wearing gloves to wash up etc, they do not constantly have their hands covered so can easily come into contact with something that could stain their nails. Quite often, they wont even remember doing it. I couldnt tell you everything i touched yesterday, let alone a week or two ago.

I use Gelish, not Shellac and have had a similar problem with 2 particular clients. I worked out what was causing the issue for one, but the other remained a mystery so she has now moved away from french and onto a colour so staining is no longer an issue.

I had a client who had pow Brisa gel and had gone camping and had brown staining around the zone 3 area which had grown out. Slightly came out with filing. Looked the same colour as tanning lotion. No tanning or anything used. Only thing she could think of that was different in that time was that she had used mosquito repellent?

Mosquito repellant and many suntan lotions contain an ingredient called 'deet' that can cause yellowing of nail products xxxx

Mosquito repellant and many suntan lotions contain an ingredient called 'deet' that can cause yellowing of nail products xxxx

Thank you for this info ;) very happy I can now confirm this with my client :))

Thank you for this info ;) very happy I can now confirm this with my client :))

You're very welcome. Its something to watch out for with clients who have been on a nice sunny holiday using lots of suntan lotion x

I appreciate what you're saying but my mum had a thin coat of zillionairre over the studio white aswell as the topcoat which I would have imagined offered double protection...........

Really dissappointed coz it's gonna be no good if people have to treat them like impediments and can't touch a single thing without staining occurring.

I understand that it's porous (I also offer soak off gel) and I have had people with stained nails from oranges and even play dough of all things but my mum has treated her nails as jewels and no way should they have turned yellow.

I have had an Indian client who eats curries with her hands and she told me her french went yellow from the tumeric powder in the food but she said after a day - with washing dishes and having a bath it returned to its normal colour...

I appreciate what you're saying but my mum had a thin coat of zillionairre over the studio white aswell as the topcoat which I would have imagined offered double protection...........

Really dissappointed coz it's gonna be no good if people have to treat them like impediments and can't touch a single thing without staining occurring.

I understand that it's porous (I also offer soak off gel) and I have had people with stained nails from oranges and even play dough of all things but my mum has treated her nails as jewels and no way should they have turned yellow.

Zillionarre is a clear with glitter i believe? It could still get the staining which would show against the studio white just as the stained top coat does. I would guess, if you buffed off the top cooat or zillionaire, you would find the white isnt actually what is stained. Its the top coat but the staining shows up against the white.

If your clients are leaving you with perfect non yellow nails, it is something they are coming into contact with afterwards that is causing the problem. I'm not doubting that your mum takes great care of her nails, but some how she is coming into contact with something that is causing this issue. Its just finding out what... i'm sure between you, you can get your detective hats on and find it :) xxx

My grandmother has been coming to get french tips with Shellac since back in the summer. 2 weeks on, remove, reapply, like clock work. I have NEVER seen her nails turn yellow. My mother, however, hers turned yellow after cleaning one day. I realize that people tell you they use gloves for everything, but do they really? I'm not saying they're lying!! I'm saying they might THINK they're using gloves for everything, when they're not thinking about the day they made meatloaf! (Or whatever the case may be)

Are they using gloves when applying make-up? Maybe their hair gel is sticking to their nails. Maybe they could use a nail brush? Maybe their lotion has bronzers in it.

I've done a lot of french tips with Shellac, in any combination of colors, and only once (my mother) had the tips turn yellow. And she's even had tips quite a few times!

I would chalk it up to fluke or coincidence and move on! Another thought, try not to talk down a product in front of a client. It causes them to lose confidence in not only the product, but eventually you, if you're still using the product. And that goes for myself, too! Haha. I blamed the product when my acrylics were lifting. :o

Latest posts

Back