Shellac top coat controversy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzanne1118

Reaction score
Over the last while I've read so many comments on the 'gloopy' top coat that is Shellac. Lots of arguments weather to heat the bottles or not and lots of strong opinions! I have always heated it as mine were like a 2 year old bottle of nail polish! Until yesterday when I got a new bottle....well, now I see why there are so many different opinions! The bottle I got yesterday WAS thin like polish so I can just apply and it's perfect! My point is, please dont jump down the throat's of geeks cause they say they have to heat them, some are thicker than others and if you have not had a thick one then count yourself lucky because you simply cant understand how hard it is to work with! Hopefully from now I get all the good ones :D

Give it a few treatments and that nice top coat you have there will also end up gloopy... mine does!

Give it a few treatments and that nice top coat you have there will also end up gloopy... mine does!

Ah no really! Thats the first nice top coat I ever got! Dont kill my buzz :lick: x

Agreed. Tis my first bottle of top coat as I've just started and have used it ...oooohhh....about a total of 3/4 times and it was going gloopy the second time I used it. :( it was a dream first go. Most sad. Esp as I'm a newbie trying to suss this whole thing!!

Agreed. Tis my first bottle of top coat as I've just started and have used it ...oooohhh....about a total of 3/4 times and it was going gloopy the second time I used it. :( it was a dream first go. Most sad. Esp as I'm a newbie trying to suss this whole thing!!

Ah no, well back to the heaters they will go then :D

Ive found most of the colours do the same too. It needs looking at really. I'm loving gelish, its far better because of the gloopy shellac. My white is awful and really thick.

Ive found most of the colours do the same too. It needs looking at really. I'm loving gelish, its far better because of the gloopy shellac. My white is awful and really thick.

Did you try putting them on a heater cause that works really well for me whem their like that! They seem to last much longer too as they go on thinner!

Couldnt agree more, its so annoying :(

Karaxxx

I'm really new to Shellac and have had my colours and top coats for a while now. None are gloopy?! The topcoats are thicker though, are all yours turning gloopy 'because' you are heating them?
:)

I havent had any problems with my top coat at all. I have had 4 bottles now. The only time it went really thick was when I went to a brides house and do her nails in the garden, was a really hot day and it started to cure!!:|

I'm pretty sure heating is not what CND intended.

The only issue I've ever had, is when I got dust in my basecoat (my fault) and I had one very thick cream puff. I went and bought a new one and it's great.

Just a tip, girls. If you're buying a colour that's not super popular, grab the bottle from the back of the group. That will most likely be your newest one, and therefore less chance of being gloopy.

If it's gloopy so quick, bring it back to your supplier! I couldn't imagine mine not ever allowing me to trade. I have spent thousands of dollars there, and I know she loves me dearly and supports my business. :D

If the product was gloopy and/or thick... a couple of possibilities have occurred:

A) bad batch
b) or it's from a questionable distributor and may not be the real deal
c) It's not being shaken enough from the beginning (so when get part way through the bottle, it has an unbalanced mix of ingredients) = Tech's fault
d) may be exposed to more uv light than the 'user' thinks = Tech's fault

No, it shouldn't be heated.
This changes it, and can worsen the issue.

When instructions aren't followed, the user is at fault and not the product.

As with any product/system, there are growing pains and a learning curve. Shellac is not exempt. Hence why I, and many others, ENCOURAGE training!! Then you avoid a lot of speed bumps and headaches.

The unauthorized distributor in my city has damaged goods. Before I knew it wasnt authorized I got a pot of Brisa clear and it was full of bubbles. Then I noticed all their products had the old packaging.

Sigh.

The unauthorized distributor in my city has damaged goods. Before I knew it wasnt authorized I got a pot of Brisa clear and it was full of bubbles. Then I noticed all their products had the old packaging.

Sigh.

Yup, too many of those going around, unfortunately.
The one in my town tries to sell a 4w single-bulb uv lamp to go with it....

LOL! oh, the gall of some people.

LOL! oh, the gall of some people.

oh yeah, pretty hilarious.
The first time I went in there, I saw the Shellac display and said "OH, do you have the CND lamp". She looked at my cross-eyed, and showed me a generic 4w lamp. I told her 'that won't cure it'.
She argued with me all lamps are the same. I tried to explain otherwise, and mentioned Doug Schoon...
Anyway, she looks down her nose at me... and says in french that I couldn't possibly know more than her with all her years of 'teaching' experience...........

THEN a month later, I went in (only in desperation) to get more topcoat or something like that, and she asks how I'm getting on with the Shellac.
I said "GREAT! All my Shellac clients are repeat clients. Doing very well, thanks"
She says "oh, some girls are having problems".
I answered "I wonder if it has anything to do with that ****ty lamp that won't cure the Shellac???"
I smiled and left.

On several occasions - when I've been 'stuck'- (as there's nothing else close to me, other than her), she's always in shock over my nails or toes and wondering how they're done.

She thought the flowers were glued on. Nope, hand sculpted.
She thought my Rockstar toes were polish. Nope, Shellac and Glitter... (so of course convo goes "oh how do you do that?" and me "sorry, no time to explain, gotta run".
Glitter tips- "oh, where did you buy your tips?" "I didn't, they're sculpted."
New Shellac Colours launched: me/"did you get them in yet?" her/"no, there's no new colours" me/pulls out my booklet from CND "yes, there ARE new colours, these ones! when do you get them?"

Anyway... any time I go in there, it's another 'stupid' conversation. She drives me insane. She always wants to point out her 'experience' as a teacher... and yet I never see any students...and points out how young I am (at 40yrs???) but yet, she seems to try to learn from me?
WHAT A DINGBAT.

Sounds like a real smart one.

Hope you arent in SE quebec and are safe from the hurricane!!

I'm just off the Island of Montreal, along the St.Lawrence river...
Umm does that qualify as SE? I stink at geography LOL

I have family in NY that I'm concerned for, and hoping that all goes well.

I dunno haha I have a friend in Sherbrooke who said they may be affected.

Latest posts

Back