Shellac top coat over normal nail varnish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautytreats75

Reaction score
Just wondered if any geeks have tried shellac topcoat over normal polish? Ive just done my nails, its gone on ok. Just wondering if its gonna last now

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

There is a great feature on this forum - search function :). People do not like answer the same questions over and over again...

I was told on my geleration course that you can do this. You can either paint your nails as normal and then when totally dry and hardened put the finish topcoat over and cure it. Or do the prep and start (base coat) layer and cure then paint with normal polish and allow to totally dry and harden and then put the finish on and cure. I've only tried it once and it was on my mum. She had badly broken a thumbnail which she had managed to trim down as much as poss herself but it was still to sore to do a soak off and as they were due I just painted the thumb in normal Jessica polish and allowed it to dry as I wrapped, soaked and removed, trimmed, tidyed and redid the geleration on the other 9 and then finally put the finish topcoat on the normal thumb and cured. It was absolutely fine and lasted perfectly for the next two weeks til we did her nails again!! I know you asked about shellac but I'm sure that would be the same.

Ah thanks :) it was worth a try i thought. I only ever seem to have time to paint my nails quickly, i never have time to do a full shellac on myself! The joys of being a therapist eh! Lol x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Shellac is NOTHING like Geleration. For a start Geleration is a gel, Shellac is not its a power polish. How many times does this need to be said on here!!!!!!!

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. I wasn't comparing Geleration to shellac just the procedure. Just for the record, geleration isn't a gel either. It's a hybrid between a gel and a polish.

Regardless, the OP was asking about Shellac, and that's what the answers to her question should relate to.

As Kasik mentioned, a search will find you quite a few threads asking the same, and the general response is that you won't have a great deal of longevity doing as you ask, as Shellac topcoat and normal polish were not designed for each other.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. I wasn't comparing Geleration to shellac just the procedure. Just for the record, geleration isn't a gel either. It's a hybrid between a gel and a polish.

QUOTE TAKEN FROM THE JESSICA WEBSITE -

GELeration from Jessica is the next generation of soak-off GEL nail systems. Created with the health of the natural nail in mind, this evolution in technology protects nails, offering weak, bitten or problem nails the opportunity to grow.

Latest posts

Back