Shellac training, I'm confused!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazz!!

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been using shellac two years nearly now and im a little confused about training is it neserssery i only ask as im sure when i brought my shellac kit there was not training just a shellac attack class that didnt give a certificate. I did go on a shellac and minx one on one. I have a minx certificate but not for shellac.

Im sure i remember geeg saying if you can paint a nail with normal polish you can do shellac and training wasnt really neserssery. A few years ago.

Have things changed.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Hi everyone.

I have been using shellac two years nearly now and im a little confused about training is it neserssery i only ask as im sure when i brought my shellac kit there was not training just a shellac attack class that didnt give a certificate. I did go on a shellac and minx one on one. I have a minx certificate but not for shellac.

Im sure i remember geeg saying if you can paint a nail with normal polish you can do shellac and training wasnt really neserssery. A few years ago.

Have things changed.

I'm glad you asked as I was wondering same thing! I've done bio sculpture But once things pick up would like to do shellac too, so do I just buy the things I need and go? X x

I might be wrong but I think that insurance only covers if you have proof of training, certificate or similar. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though ;-) x

These are some quotes to some old topics. You will see that it has been written if ypu can paint ypu can do shellac. And that a manicure qualifacation is enough. X

(Quote geeg) Look .. you can lead a horse to water and all that .. but that doesn't mean that everyone will do the same level of work. If people take liberties with Shellac by doing silly things it is their business that will suffer and not yours.

Good lord, there are many many horrendous nail enhancements out there but discerning people with a brain know to find the best if they want the best and women keep going to get their nails done ... so it is with Shellac as well and every other treatment known to man.

Sweet Squared always encourage customers to take a class and the conscientious ones do, but with something as easy as Shellac and all the help available on the net via videos etc, if a technician is serious about her business and has a manicure accreditation then she should be able to do a good Shellac application without S2 demanding she do a class. Technicians who use Shellac already have to have a manicure accreditation to be able to buy it. Who are S2 to say, sorry we can't let you buy this.

It's a bit different with Jessica as Geleration is a gel and that requires different techniques to polish ... whereas Shellac goes on like polish rather than a gel. If you can polish you can Shellac. Quote)

(quote geeg)If you are a manicurist then I have to tell you, that there is so much information about Shellac right here on the site plus many links to videos of perfect application techiques ..

there are application tutorials here on the site and articles re the science behind Shellac PLUS the very active Shellac Lovers Group that you can join by clicking groups above.

With all this free information, I think most will find a class unnecessary .. after all, Shellac is a colour coat unlike the many coloured thin gels, and the application is much more simple than gel and the finish more beautiful and thinner like polish but also covers perfectly like polish and not wishy washy and semi sheer.

No buffing of the natural nail and really very easy when you follow the steps. Have fun and don't make it complicated ..it isn't.

Ohhh I really want to buy it now :) x x

Some more i have found. Im only doing this as i was reading a thread about people with out training are cowboys and messers and will not be covered on insurence without training and i was told two years ago training wasnt nesserssery as it was as easy as doing a normal manicure. X

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/117886-do-i-need-train-use-shellac.html

As long as you are a professional and have a valid certificate for mani pedi or nail enhancments you can buy Shellac from CND. Shellac is a colour coat and if you can manicure nails well and apply polish well then you will be able to apply Shellac well ... it is that simple.

Get in touch wit S2 at the number above and register yourself with them and they will help you out.

If you have a valid training certificate from any recognized source OR if you hold your Level 3 manicure and pedicure, then you can purchase Shellac without training ... it is that easy to use ... but don't think for an instant that its simplicity lessens its effectiveness. It never alters its original appearance in over 2 weeks and it never lifts or chips ... It's flexibility with the natural nail is awesome and you never see a stretch mark of any kind; it stays perfect. Being a hybrid gel, it is completely dry on curing. No matter what system you use, you can buy Shellac from CND.

Does know one know wrather training is required by insurence or not. X

Does know one know wrather training is required by insurence or not. X

Ahhh im not sure hun x

Nothing has changed ... If you hold a valid manicure and pedicure certificate you can purchase Shellac ... You will have to check your own insurance requirements to see if a certificate is required ... Shellac is a power polish and not a gel ... Do you need a certificate to apply every different brand of polish you buy?

As to classes ... At first we only offered one class because we assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that people with a mani/pedi certificate KNEW HOW TO APPLY POLISH!! Sadly many do not ... So we do recommend a class to those who are not already excellent manicurists.

Most busy working nail technicians know how to apply polish, so for them, Shellac is a doddle to use. Many technicians buy it and use it well. But classes are now available to help the others who need it.

Those who fall into the category of those who definitely need a class, are those that have done a quick manicure class in order to buy Shellac but still have no knowledge or experience of really doing excellent manicures plus polish, nor anything about UV curing, lamps etc. or Technicians who have No experience with UV cured products.

Personally I would recommend everyone to do a certified class as you will learn something re application and marketing and everything about Shellac, the science behind it and how to use it in the right way so that you can do great business with it AND become a CERTIFIED SHELLAC SALON. That is the end goal, right?

Last edited:
Ok thats good. I did do a shellac one on one class with liza smith in east sussex. But there was no certificate given. X

Nothing has changed ... If you hold a valid manicure and pedicure certificate you can purchase Shellac ... You will have to check your own insurance requirements to see if a certificate is required ... Shellac is a power polish and not a gel ... Do you need a certificate to apply every different brand of polish you buy?

As to classes ... At first we only offered one class because we assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that people with a mani/pedi certificate KNEW HOW TO APPLY POLISH!! Sadly many do not ... So we do recommend a class to those who are not already excellent manicurists.

Most busy working nail technicians know how to apply polish, so for them, Shellac is a doddle to use. Many technicians buy it and use it well. But classes are now available to help the others who need it.

Those who fall into the category of those who definitely need a class, are those that have done a quick manicure class in order to buy Shellac but still have no knowledge or experience of really doing excellent manicures plus polish, nor anything about UV curing, lamps etc. or Technicians who have No experience with UV cured products.

Personally I would recommend everyone to do a certified class as you will learn something re application and marketing and everything about Shellac, the science behind it and how to use it in the right way so that you can do great business with it AND become a CERTIFIED SHELLAC SALON. That is the end goal, right?

Your last paragraph explains EXACTLY why I would want to do a class. I have been polishing nails for 10 years and have experience with a UV lamp using gels but i just feel personally that I would benefit from the course, learning about the science behind, marketing it, and it would also be nice to have a certificate to show my clients.

Ok thats good. I did do a shellac one on one class with liza smith in east sussex. But there was no certificate given. X

You should chase them up. You should at least get some of certificate of attendance.

Your last paragraph explains EXACTLY why I would want to do a class. I have been polishing nails for 10 years and have experience with a UV lamp using gels but i just feel personally that I would benefit from the course, learning about the science behind, marketing it, and it would also be nice to have a certificate to show my clients.

My thoughts exactly :) xx

Well really ... It just makes good common sense doesn't it?

Personally, I can't think of a good reason why anyone WOULDN'T do a class.

If you want to be as successful as you can be with a new service (and everyone on here always keeps saying they want to be the best they can be) how could you think of investing your money in a product you don't know EVERYTHING about? Those are my thoughts anyway. Whatever I do I always like to be the expert at the knowing and the doing! :D

There was no such thing as a shellac class two years ago their was no certificates you didnt evan get one if you went on a shellac atack class. Im not going to pay again when i have done training and have never had any problems.

There was no such thing as a shellac class two years ago their was no certificates you didnt evan get one if you went on a shellac atack class. Im not going to pay again when i have done training and have never had any problems.

Well no, why should you? If the insurers ever need proof, you've got your receipt and S2 will have a record of your attendance.

Chazz ... You are quite right! There was no certificate back in the early days. But instead of worrying about it, why don't you contact Debbie Davies our beautiful Education Manager (01132173801) and see just what we at S2 can do to help you on this one?

You were an early adopter of the Shellac service, You have done a class and you have had 121 ... You are working problem free ... You know what? As a valued customer, I'm pretty sure I can say that we would support you with a certificate or even a free Shellac certified class of your choice so that you can get one? How does that grab you? :D

That would be fantastic. I will ring in the morning. Thank-you. X

Now that's service for you ;) x

Well really ... It just makes good common sense doesn't it?

Personally, I can't think of a good reason why anyone WOULDN'T do a class.

If you want to be as successful as you can be with a new service (and everyone on here always keeps saying they want to be the best they can be) how could you think of investing your money in a product you don't know EVERYTHING about? Those are my thoughts anyway. Whatever I do I always like to be the expert at the knowing and the doing! :D

Well I've been a nail tech for 9 years and have been doing gel polish for a good bit of that. AND polishing properly. But I did the Shellac course before I started offering it and I found it very helpful. I'm glad I did it and my certificate looks suitably impressive.

Latest posts

Back