Shellac users-products that don't work with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynn mignon

Reaction score
I provided 6 shellac treatments in one session at a pamper party - 5 still great two weeks later. One however 4 days afterwards, started to lift (ie not peel) - but lift completely from the side or free edge. After a process of elimination (including a review of my own process) my client told me she uses a nightcream product on her hands as they are very dry - she uses a lot of it. After further investigation it contains the following ingredients:-

shea butter, honey, beeswax, coconut and almond oil and cedarwood essential oil.

Does anyone know if any of these ingredients cause Shellac to start lifting in this way. I know that insect repellents can do so (top tip by the way, if you have clients jetting of to the sun with a suntan lotion with insect repellent in it, make sure you tell them not to spray it on their toes!)

Thanks fellow Shellac users

I think it's impossible to say, I'd be really surprised if that was a full ingredients list. I think it's probably best to use this as an opportunity to retail some scentations lotions, they are perfect for use with Shellac.

I can't answer whether it is or isn't the cream but wanted to say my friends client always had 3 nails lift after a few days every time she had shellac, after a few months they realised it was her Nivea face cream, she started using a spatula to get it out of the container and lifting stopped.

I have had a few clients strike problems with certain creams/moisturisers. I think *possibly* due to barrier oils in them - isn't beeswax a barrier? Anyway, in these cases, I get the ladies to use the cream with a spatula and make sure they don't rub the cream into their nail plate and this has worked on all occasions.

Thank you for all the replies so far - all very useful - I think I will add to my aftercare sheet that people should be careful using facecreams on their nails! A spatula is the answer to that. Also some of my clients are older and use medically prescribed creams for very dry skin - goodness only knows what is in some of those!

Steroid creams and some emollients can affect Shellac in my experience - Brisa lite held up better though!

Latest posts

Back