Shellac vs OPI?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who is telling you you don't need to use the CND lamp - other lamp manufacturers! They have at least an equal financial interest as CND. There are no disinterested parties here. Of course the people telling you to use the CND lamp are from CND! Who else would say that? The reason that they say it is clear - if truly over-proprietary - their concern is that using the wrong lamp will cause product breakdown for which they will be blamed.

You are mistaken on the profit point. The lamp is a tiny part of the profit for CND, or for that matter for any gel polish manufacturer. The profit is so small that some gel polish manufacturers don't even bother making a lamp. Like CND, they make their money from the polish. It's not unlike computer printers! They make the money from the ink; they could practically give away the printer.

I find all this conspiracy theory around the lamp rather funny. It reminds me of the old saying, "Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence."

Where have I said a single manafacture has told me they can cure cnd??? I havent because not a single one has.

If they are that concerned that the wrong lamp would be cause for product breakdown you think theyd be a little more bothered about making sure their customers dont have faulty lamps then really wouldnt ya...

I dont buy into conspiracy theories I buy into sense... and it doesnt make sense that only a cnd lamp can ever cure shellac... yet every other product out there can be cured in multiple lamps... and still not one person has given me a real reason except hand placement, unlikely, and because cnd said so.

this is the last thing Ill say on the matter now, if you guys want to blindly follow things without questioning why, its not for me to judge.

And to answer OPs original question, Im using cuccio, Ive not been using long enough to give a full overview, but so far I really like it. Top coat is superglossy. Their customer service is great, they are doing a bogof on the matchmakers at the moment and they work out supercheap, and the delievery was next day and free over £50. Im just waiting to see how much wear I get out of it.

And to answer OPs original question, Im using cuccio, Ive not been using long enough to give a full overview, but so far I really like it. Top coat is superglossy. Their customer service is great, they are doing a bogof on the matchmakers at the moment and they work out supercheap, and the delievery was next day and free over £50. Im just waiting to see how much wear I get out of it.

Thank you! I'm actually getting a bit scared of this thread. This whole forum is becoming quite nasty.

My point is, if I already have a UV lamp, why would I need to buy another lamp?? Why? What makes CND's so special? Because they say so? My shellac manicure cured in a non brand UV lamp on Friday is still intact despite all the housework, washing, washing up and nappy changes I do every day. Plus I've done loads of nail filing on clients, shopping and lifting a 1 and 2 year old. So, again, why do I need the CND lamp?
I'm not getting into another bitch fest. That's all this forum seems to be these days. I'll look into cuccio and gelish.

I can't defend CND's position; I think it is overly proprietary and I am especially dismayed by the recent spate of failed lamps. But we really don't know in any system whether we have a proper cure or not; we are dependent on their word if we've followed the instructions. And as I said, I would eliminate CND Shellac as an alternative just because it doesn't do LED.

But I think there are some other good alternatives out there. IBD Just Gel is a product getting great reviews and at an excellent price point. ACG is as fashion forward as CND and has LED cure and a lower price. LeChat also has a great range and comes with matching rnp.

I can't defend CND's position; I think it is overly proprietary and I am especially dismayed by the recent spate of failed lamps. But we really don't know in any system whether we have a proper cure or not; we are dependent on their word if we've followed the instructions. And as I said, I would eliminate CND Shellac as an alternative just because it doesn't do LED.

But I think there are some other good alternatives out there. IBD Just Gel is a product getting great reviews and at an excellent price point. ACG is as fashion forward as CND and has LED cure and a lower price. LeChat also has a great range and comes with matching rnp.

I've ordered some LeChat to try. Think I'll get a cuccio and a gelish to try, too x

Where have I said a single manafacture has told me they can cure cnd??? I havent because not a single one has.

If they are that concerned that the wrong lamp would be cause for product breakdown you think theyd be a little more bothered about making sure their customers dont have faulty lamps then really wouldnt ya...

I dont buy into conspiracy theories I buy into sense... and it doesnt make sense that only a cnd lamp can ever cure shellac... yet every other product out there can be cured in multiple lamps... and still not one person has given me a real reason except hand placement, unlikely, and because cnd said so.

this is the last thing Ill say on the matter now, if you guys want to blindly follow things without questioning why, its not for me to judge.

Look I don't think we disagree that CND has messed up royally. I just don't think that their mess-up obviates the science here, or lets us off the hook for following their instructions.

Lots of lamp manufacturers claim to cure CND Shellac; just cruise down eBay to witness that. Again, just for the record, I am not defending CND and particularly not its conduct on the recent lamp failures. Nor am I following blindly their strictures. But there is a science and a logic to gel polish and it makes no sense to ignore that science because it is inconvenient or costly. I choose not to use CND because I find it too proprietary (and not completely honest). That CND Shellac is a bit different from other gel polishes is indisputable; even I will grant you that. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a great deal of truth and science in its position. Ultimately, it is their product and they have a right to define its proper usage. Not following those instructions leaves me liable, so I choose not to use their product - that doesn't make them liars.

Now you know we've come to a pretty pass when I am standing up (sort of) for CND!

Last edited:
To be clear...I dont buy lamps or any of my products from ebay, nor take any information I find on there as fact.

Thank you! I'm actually getting a bit scared of this thread. This whole forum is becoming quite nasty.

I wouldn't become scared, its your thread so you can carry it in whatever direction you like :) this forum is soooo helpful, you just have to ignore the bad and focus on the good.

Unfortunately, the mention of CND can bring out a mix of good and bad. You have die hard fans who, if you happen to mention something against the brand, go on defense mode. For the rest of us, we love the brand and the products but (and I speak for myself in this) know there are even better products out there.

I happen to be in love with gelish and I apply it in the same way that CND promotes shellac. No buffing of the natural nail, plenty of colors and removes like a dream. BUT I use CND nourishing remover as it smells define and removes gelish in 8min. It used to take me 10-15min with just acetone to remove gelish before.

Whatever you choose to go with, test! test! test! Choose what you love to work with and promote to your clients. If you love it, they will love it. All the best! :)

I've tried them all and while I love opi I do find the service a bit rubbish and some of the colours a nightmare! I love my opi lamp though. I have some ibd and I really like it, I also have a couple of bottles of cuccio which is good too. Wasn't too keen on gelish. Shellac is my least favourite because of the lamp, curing time and I don't find it that easy to remove.

But I love the le chat ones I have, the colours are amazing! Tempted to swap too :D

Thank you Jen and MaisieMouse. This is the kind of response I was hoping for. I'm looking forward to my LeChat arriving and I'll order some Gelish and Cuccio, too. Thanks ladies x

While I think this thread got a bit hijacked, I think the topic and disagreement here provides a very painful answer to the OP's initial question. She was initially considering leaving OPI because of bad customer service, but what we are seeing from CND on this lamp issue right now is much worse. Going from OPI to CND Shellac at this time may well be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

CND has put professional nail techs in a serious bind. If they do what CND says and continue to use the CND lamp, they may be putting their clients in jeopardy; it's hard to justify continuing to use a lamp with this many problems. On the other hand, if they don't use the CND lamp, they are not within the manufacturer's instructions and are at jeopardy themselves. They are between a rock and a hard place.

I know that CND has said that only the CND lamp can cure Shellac, but the evidence suggests otherwise. I think the truth is that CND can only guarantee that the CND lamp will cure Shellac, but now it seems they can't even guarantee that. If they cannot provide properly functioning CND lamps, why can't they at least amend their instructions, and give techs the names of other lamps they have tested with Shellac that work?

While I think this thread got a bit hijacked, I think the topic and disagreement here provides a very painful answer to the OP's initial question. She was initially considering leaving OPI because of bad customer service, but what we are seeing from CND on this lamp issue right now is much worse. Going from OPI to CND Shellac at this time may well be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

CND has put professional nail techs in a serious bind. If they do what CND says and continue to use the CND lamp, they may be putting their clients in jeopardy; it's hard to justify continuing to use a lamp with this many problems. On the other hand, if they don't use the CND lamp, they are not within the manufacturer's instructions and are at jeopardy themselves. They are between a rock and a hard place.

I know that CND has said that only the CND lamp can cure Shellac, but the evidence suggests otherwise. I think the truth is that CND can only guarantee that the CND lamp will cure Shellac, but now it seems they can't even guarantee that. If they cannot provide properly functioning CND lamps, why can't they at least amend their instructions, and give techs the names of other lamps they have tested with Shellac that work?

Careful, hun. You're questioning CND. I'm staying out this one, but you are right, I've now well and truly been put off shellac. I've ordered vinylux and will give it a whirl, but as for shellac, I'll leave it be x

Careful, hun. You're questioning CND. I'm staying out this one, but you are right, I've now well and truly been put off shellac. I've ordered vinylux and will give it a whirl, but as for shellac, I'll leave it be x

Oh, I've been questioning CND for years now. Most of the salons I work with moved away from Shellac, which is a shame because it's a great product. But this current lamp issue has aggravated the long-existing lamp issue. I really hope they get it sorted because I like Shellac as a product and mostly like CND as a company.

Last edited:
I wish CND representatives would see this and even comment or address the situation in house but let us know they are doing so. Communication is key in so many situations and this is one of them that is letting themselves down.

OP As far as clients/business goes, shellac is my bread and butter because of the brand name it sells itself and does what it advertises to do. I love the product myself and will continue to use it. Despite having this lamp issue I don't have anything negative to say- I just hope they resolve the faults ASAP.

Unfortunately, they won't. I'm afraid that when companies become so big, they stop caring. And before anyone starts on me, this is not just aimed at CND. Lena White is equally as bad. How difficult is it to change an address? Seriously? 5 phone calls in one week and still no change. I've lost count of the subsequent phone calls. They don't care. And it's not just me that's come up against it. Poor customer service has put me right off OPI.

I totally agree with your thoughts on big companies losing the personal touch with customer service. I think it's probably because they will believe that if 90% of their customers are happy then 10% unhappy is a good ratio (percentages just an example). Problem with that is if the company is huge then 10% is really a lot of unhappy people. Seen the same thing happen with HD brows lately and the new rules they have set on their professionals, brands often get big for their boots when they know the little guys need a well known "brand" to help get them noticed. X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back