Shellac "White" gets too thick?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
I am getting quite frustrated with the fact that my shellac white goes thick when there is still half left in the bottle. It makes it harder to apply it thinly when it gets like this.

Does everyone else experience this and can offer any application techniques?

Also wondered if gelish users found the same problem with the gelish "white"?

Are you shaking it? It dose need a good shake !

As it has polish solvent and uv light cure quallitys I'm guessing

1) you had the lid off to long
or
2) you had it to close to your light while curing one hand and shellacing the other?

Thanks, It has happened with both the bottles I have had. I might be taking a bit longer to apply the white than I do to apply colours but I hope that it's not the reason as I don't want to have to rush the application so the product doesn't thicken.

I don't think I can apply to the other hand any further away from the lamp either?

I do appreciate your suggestions though. :)

Like mizzy said, shellac contains solvents within. so remeber always to give your shellac colours a good shake before using.
if you are shaking your bottles then another problem could be your application time of french. if its taking you over 10mins to do a french then sooner or later your going to have problems with the shellac white. everytime you take off the lid solvents are lost. now this isnt going to happen overnight with the thickening and its not easy to make the shellac thick but i personaly think your taking too long to apply your french.
so practic your french application with polish on tips.
hope this helps

Not had that problem with any of the Gelish colours NailPerfection !
Just wondering could you have been in sunlight when you were using ?

Love n Hugs

x

I have a large french door directly behind me when I work but can't see that being the problem to be honest.

I have started taking my time when applying the white and therefore do it in one coat rather than 2. The time is taken smoothing the product downwards to ensure it's not too thick. I think I have it correct as it doesn't wrinkle at all once cured. I would say it takes me around 3-4 mins max to do one hand with white. Is this too long wld you say?

Have 2 french shellac clients due in tonight. I did shake the bottle earlier to see if it made a difference and it does seem to be less thick.

Fingers crossed!

the french doors will make a difference. just because its not sunny doesnt mean the uv rays arnt there. uv rays are always there. also make sure you shake the bottle just before you use it.
so if i were you, move your desk away from direct sunlight and shake your bottle.
hope its goes well hunnie

Hi,

I thought i would buy 2 bottles of polish of the same colour and then when the polish gets near to half way down the bottle, just top it up with the new one. Jessica has always recommended you do that, as it stops the colour getting too thick. Shaking is always a must as well.:)

Hi,

I thought i would buy 2 bottles of polish of the same colour and then when the polish gets near to half way down the bottle, just top it up with the new one. Jessica has always recommended you do that, as it stops the colour getting too thick. Shaking is always a must as well.:)

:eek::eek:what a waste! of polish and money!
I buy 1 color I use it till its done!

I don't use shellac so I wouldn't know if you can fill it with another bottle but it is not a waste to do this with polish.

I'm missing something??? Please explaine how it's not waste and possable contamination .

Imagin I have a bottle of milk .... Half gone do I then go out buy another bottle and top it up?

That makes no scence wat so ever .....

Please explaine how it's not waste and possable contamination .

Well first off, I have never finished a bottle of polish as it starts to go like glue. So refilling a half emtpy bottle with a new one will keep it fresh no? Where is the waste?
How can you get contamination from filling a half empty bottle with a fresh bottle?
I've always been told that this is quite a good thing to do.
But we are talking about polish here and Geemb is asking if this can be done with Shellac. ;-)

Please explaine how it's not waste and possable contamination .

Well first off, I have never finished a bottle of polish as it starts to go like glue. So refilling a half emtpy bottle with a new one will keep it fresh no? Where is the waste?
How can you get contamination from filling a half empty bottle with a fresh bottle?
But we are talking about polish here and Geemb is asking if this can be done with Shellac. ;-)

Well first off, I have never finished a bottle of polish as it starts to go like glue. Good quality polish stored correctly with the lid clean and done up right will not go like this I have some polish that's years old at home and still fluid ! It goes like "glue" from the solvents escaping .... A lot like shellac. So refilling a half empty bottle with a new one will keep it fresh no? No as your adding fresh product to old "glue like" product so your just diluting it and downgrading the quality of the new polish aswell as having changed the chemical structure. And the result will be a full bottle of half strength polish .... Where is the waste? The half empty new bottle that you have opened and de canted into your old one
A bottle that is sevral months old ... May have picked up traces of nail dust , base coat ,dead skin cells, glitter and other things also like I already said it dilutes the chemical make up . Adding and taking will take away from its optimal quality.
But we are talking about polish here and Geemb is asking if this can be done with Shellac. ;-)[/QUOTE]
As for the shellac I don't think I would get a new bottle and add it to the old bottle , Prevention is better than the cure in my opinion I would rather get rid . I like to make sure that my products are used and looked after correctly , if something is defective I would replace it rather than use it on a client :)

Latest posts

Back