Shellac - whole nail lifted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainiac

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on why shellac might lift
like this? ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1425920400.588195.jpg
It's just the one finger, I'm going to redo it this eve but wondered if it was something i did (applied too thick?) they were done one week ago. Has anyone else had this?

I would say its because of the condition of your clients nails going by photo:?:

Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on why shellac might lift
like this? View attachment 83287
It's just the one finger, I'm going to redo it this eve but wondered if it was something i did (applied too thick?) they were done one week ago. Has anyone else had this?
it could be u didnt really scrub the scrubfresh on.and your nailplate had oils left on it.

This has happened to me before when I've done my own nails in a rush and not paid enough attention when capping the edges, a couple of days later after washing the dishes it had lifted up from the free edge as the water had gotten in between the product and nail plate x

It can be really difficult to get a good seal on the free edge when a nail is that short! X

There is a video on you tube to show u how to cap short nails with shellac x

The only time I had this issue was a)a client whi has oily nails so shellac neve lasts on her and peels off in one piece after a day or two and b)when I applied brisa lite smoothing gel under shellac once.I think it was a faulty smoothing gel :-(

The only time I had this issue was a)a client whi has oily nails so shellac neve lasts on her and peels off in one piece after a day or two and b)when I applied brisa lite smoothing gel under shellac once.I think it was a faulty smoothing gel :-(

Nails don't have the function to produce oils.

To the OP, the nails look in a very poor condition and with the length it is hard to cap the edge properly and get a proper seal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Are you using Cuticle away and fully deactivating it before scrub freshing?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

How long after application was this photo? I ask because the condition of the eponychium is so poor that I question whether the nail was sufficiently clean of cuticle, debris, oils, etc. to have a good application. Also, the nails look thin and bendy and, in combination with a length that makes capping difficult, that could cause lifting,

How long after application was this photo? I ask because the condition of the eponychium is so poor that I question whether the nail was sufficiently clean of cuticle, debris, oils, etc. to have a good application. Also, the nails look thin and bendy and, in combination with a length that makes capping difficult, that could cause lifting,

Yes she has very dry skin around her nails, her eponychiums aren't in a great state either. I used the correct pep (I've done the training) and scrubfresh the nails before application. After looking at them I suspect as has been mentioned maybe I didn't quote seal this one (as nails very short and the rest are all fine). Have re-done it and made sure I sealed it as much as possible without hitting the skin and given her a bottle of cuticle oil :)

If she's a picker, judging by the state of her nails, it looks it. ... i wonder if she's picked off the capping?
I had a friend that did exactly the same, it was driving me mad trying to work out what was happening.
She promised me that every time she went to pick, she'd make an effort to put solar oil on.
At the end of 2 weeks, she'd gone through 1 mini bottle, and her nails were so much better!
Not perfect, but a huge difference on what they'd been previously.
A long way to go, but now she's aware of what she's doing.
Good luck, sounds like it isn't what you're doing.

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

If she's a picker, judging by the state of her nails, it looks it. ... i wonder if she's picked off the capping?
I had a friend that did exactly the same, it was driving me mad trying to work out what was happening.
She promised me that every time she went to pick, she'd make an effort to put solar oil on.
At the end of 2 weeks, she'd gone through 1 mini bottle, and her nails were so much better!
Not perfect, but a huge difference on what they'd been previously.
A long way to go, but now she's aware of what she's doing.
Good luck, sounds like it isn't what you're doing.

Thank you! It's frustrating when this happens wondering if you did something or if like you say perhaps she picked at it. The plan is to improve her nails and grow them out so will have to see in a few weeks time what they are like. Think I'll take before and after photos actually, and then can see the progress x

Thank you! It's frustrating when this happens wondering if you did something or if like you say perhaps she picked at it. The plan is to improve her nails and grow them out so will have to see in a few weeks time what they are like. Think I'll take before and after photos actually, and then can see the progress x

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back