Shellac yellowing nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becsxx

Reaction score
Hi all, I have done a search but can't find anything related.

I did a set of nails with the complete Shellac system I removed them after 3 weeks and the natural nail had turned yellow, has this happened to anyone else? Is it something I am doing? Here's my process:

Cool blue
Pep using cuticle away, client washes hands with hot soapy water and nail brush.
Dry & Scrub fresh
Base coat cure
Colour coats cure
Top coat cure
Wipe with isopropyl alcohol
Apply cuticle eraser and solar oil.

TIA Becs

It sounds to me like its something the client has done, has she used any cooking spices or eaten food (like indian takeaway) that may have got onto the nail plate?

Strangely enough I put a post up yesterday about my shellac turning yellowy at the tips & I've got clear shellac on them but its also happened on my toes, I've got a nude shade on them but the tips have gone darker... But I thinks it the actual shellac not my nail like ur client has... Strange!

Shellac is porous and will pick up environmental discolourations, hair dye, clothes dye, heavily staining foodstuffs, harsh chemicals, smoking, can all affect the colour of your shellac.
You just need to be aware and make sure you explain to your clients why this can happen.
To the op, can you explain what you mean by it turning her nails yellow? Is it the whole nail or just the free edge?
Jen xx

The client is my sister in law and I know that it's definitely not from cooking with spices or from the food she has been eating she is waiting on an operation and on a strict no fat diet surely this wouldn't be the cause. No cleaning they have been living at my mums so don't need to. She is a new mum and the only thing she applies to her baby is almond oil, no harsh chemicals, she does use Johnson's baby soap bar and your everyday skin care products. Her nail plate went yellow where the shellac had been the new regrowth looks fresh and clean, the yellowing looks like staining from a long term smoker but she doesn't smoke and it's on all fingers. This is the first time
She has had it on and takes care of her nails using oil on them and wearing gloves, rinsing her hands after applying makeup, sunscreen etc, I just can not figure this one out not on any of my other clients I am due to remove mine in a couple of days and see what mine are like I have never had a problem before.
I wonder of its related to her illness actually she is waiting to have her gallbladder out?

Fake Tan?

I find even the gentle J&J build up/hint of colour ones can stain nails quite a lot.

I always advise they use super sexy latex gloves when applying it!

Her nail plate went yellow where the shellac had been the new regrowth looks fresh and clean

I had this a little while ago. I thought I was seeing things, but noticed the same as you, fresh coloured regrowth area and a slightly yellow/discoloured rest of the nail plate like a perfectly shaped growing out Shellac on all ten nails at all the same point.

I have naked nails at the moment and everything is as it should be, so it did go without having to grow out. It only happened the once and wasn't a problem for me, as it wasn't majorly noticeable.

Fake Tan?

I find even the gentle J&J build up/hint of colour ones can stain nails quite a lot.

I always advise they use super sexy latex gloves when applying it!

Nope no fake tan. Se ant have nails now until after her operation so will see what happens after the next lot.

Latest posts

Back