Shocking "Shellac" prices!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy, this may be a vent post I'm not sure how it's going to go down just yet. My friend is trying to set up a shellac party, to have her girls over about 5-6 of them for an evening of food and wine and getting shellac done from me. I told her my charges but for a party of 5-6 people would knock it down to £20 each. She's quite happy with this as she has had it done before for about £23 from her local place.

So she's gone ahead and asked her girl friends if they'd like to get together for a shellac party. A lot of them have come back and said "why is she charging £20 for shellac that's too expensive when we usually get it done for £10-£15"

Me being super shocked asked her if her friends were using real official shellac products by qualified nail techs or if they'd been using Gelish, Gellux etc because every salon I've spoken to in my local area and outer parts too charge £22-£30 depending on detailing etc. She's adamant they're using real shellac and remembers going to get her nails done with one of her friends once to a place that charged only £12 for it and she said I remember seeing the "CND bottles" so I told her about all the fake unofficial products floating around on the Internet, eBay etc and you can only purchase real authentic shellac if you are a certified nail tech. Also examined why I'm so shocked at how cheap they are charging people because the bottles cost £** alone + all the other products you need to carry out the service. It's just shocked me and makes me feel that these salons or mobile techs are falsely advertising shellac and here's me trying to seriously trying to make a go of things and earn an honest living.

I'm really confused about this as it's something a friend has told me from feedback she has received and suggested I drop my prices but I'm thinking why should I when like I said above I'm trying to be honest with my clients and educate them on the proper stuff. I sometimes feel like these customers paying cheaper prices don't care though, they just want anything at all that looks good and stays put regardless of the brand.

Feeling annoyed! o_O

xProjectPrettyx

Last edited by a moderator:
i really feel for you,in my area most salons charge £15 for shellac,i use shellac and gelish and charge £25,i have lost a few clients has i refuse to lower my prices,but tbh it is getting harder.

Hi, do not drop prices!!! U are worth it as a qualified tech, therapist whatever. This is so frustrating, as it's happened to me too and I'm sure to plenty of others. Wish I could rant on longer but client is coming ....

Good luck!

Kate

For 5-6 Shellac treatments in one night and the time that will take I think they are getting a good deal there. They don't get their Shellac done for a tenner they are either trying it on or whatever they are getting isn't Shellac. They get what they pay for which is your expertise and your skill don't give into them. That amount in one evening is a lot you need to make it worth your while if nothing else x

I charge £15 for Shellac at pamper parties too. I'm a CND Master Painter using authentic products but it just makes good sense to reduce my price for these parties because it means less travel expense, more time and I fit more work into one evening than I ordinarily would. The rate of people that rebook and become repeat clients is good too.

I really don't think it's sensible to assume that everyone charging less than you is using fake Shellac or providing a sub standard service. My normal price for Shellac is just £20. It's naive to think that you are the only one providing the correct service based on pricing.

I charge £15 for Shellac at pamper parties too. I'm a CND Master Painter using authentic products but it just makes good sense to reduce my price for these parties because it means less travel expense, more time and I fit more work into one evening than I ordinarily would. The rate of people that rebook and become repeat clients is good too.

I really don't think it's sensible to assume that everyone charging less than you is using fake Shellac or providing a sub standard service. My normal price for Shellac is just £20. It's naive to think that you are the only one providing the correct service based on pricing.

Exactly this!!
As a home based nail tech, I charge £18 for Shellac. When doing pamper parties I've brought it to £15 for the reasons listed above. I don't class myself as budget, or as a scrimper. I use all the right products, have been fully CND trained (Shellac, Minx, Enhancements) and sometimes I find it a bit off putting that everyone gets on at those who don't offer £25 or above.

I've done the training and took on the advice the educators give you about pricing etc, but I have to look at my current market and I made the choice that's right for me.

I was at Girls Day out and the gel polishes were "on special offer today only for £20, normally £30" I didnt recognise the make as a professional one (many were selling kits for home use) but i thought great, dearer than me :eek: mind you i also bought a purse with a hole in it, candles ive just spotted in a poundshop and paid £14 for 2 coffees and 2 muffins....it was not my best shopping experience lol

It's my first year of gel polishing. My opening price was ten pounds to get buns on seats. My prices are going up to 15 pounds in January then up to twenty pounds at Easter. I will not give discount for parties but will offer 10% off when people recommend their friends to me. If I lose a couple of clients then I will deal with it but unless your making a profit then there's no point In doing it at all.
My polishes are very expensive and I take my time, plus my salon is nicer than these awful smelly nail bars with horrible products. I think we all need to stick together to raise the profile of gel polish and keep prices right. It really gets me angry when I see nail services sold cheap.

I must be the only one who actually puts my price up, yes up for a pamper eve. I'm not mobile so the extra covers my petrol. I also give out goodie bags so it helps towards the cost of those. The host gets hers for free if 4 or more other ladies have a shellac manicure.

I must be the only one who actually puts my price up, yes up for a pamper eve. I'm not mobile so the extra covers my petrol. I also give out goodie bags so it helps towards the cost of those. The host gets hers for free if 4 or more other ladies have a shellac manicure.

I like that idea. What do you put in your goody bags?

I like that idea. What do you put in your goody bags?

A business card, price list, voucher for 10% off next Shellac Treatment (can only be used at my home salon), a few chocolates and/or sweets, a nail file and a pinkie solar oil in a little organza bag.

Xx

There is a salon in a town near me that does gellux nails for £10 how they charge so little is beyond me. I don't think it means anything to clients if its shellac/ gelish/ gellux etc. to them it's nails polished. I have put my price down to £15 as am mobile and feel it covers my petrol and at least people don't need to drive into town and pay for parking. Unfortunately it's keeping up with the times and all the at home systems that are available.

There is a salon in a town near me that does gellux nails for £10 how they charge so little is beyond me. I don't think it means anything to clients if its shellac/ gelish/ gellux etc. to them it's nails polished. I have put my price down to £15 as am mobile and feel it covers my petrol and at least people don't need to drive into town and pay for parking. Unfortunately it's keeping up with the times and all the at home systems that are available.

Gellux is a lot cheaper than signature and shellac/gelish. But £10 is really cheap for an ongoing appointments. Maybe they rush it to get more clients in.

It's everyone's personal preference regarding how well their businesses are doing and how willing they are to drop the prices so low but from personal experience I've come across a salon quite well known who actually use a nail enhancement drill to buff the nail before applying shellac. We all know this is wrong! So again it's personal experience too of why I said it makes me feel some salons are falsely advertising shellac. It happens.

My original post above doesn't assume, accused and it is no way in my intentions to imply any salons or mobile techs of being less professional due to the price drop of shellac. But the girls my friend is trying to arrange a shellac party for, are people who are getting the service for a 10a, which isn't a special offer on parties or anything of the sort. it's just a standard price for "shellac". it can ring alarm bells to qualified techs, but means nothing to customers.

Also, from a business prospective, as another thread on here states, such low pricing on any service, not just beauty related, it can be anything, will attract those customers who want the world for next to nothing. working in a commercial salon or being mobile/having a home set up, doesn't distinguish between quality of work. You can be amazingly creative and be a home based business. I for one put my prices up within both my businesses. Not by a lot and only yearly, I only offer discounts on offers and try and hit all the yearly celebrations. Christmas, valentines day, Mother's Day etc.

I have confidence in my work and pride myself on results, I want that to show through my work otherwise clients wouldn't have confidence in me. It just becomes frustrating when a new client then comes to you for a service they have previously had from elsewhere for cheaper and haven't been educated on the service properly so they don't understand why it's at the price I've set.

Interesting points raised though, I do agree depending on geographical area and the going rate of a service, it can become competitive. Goodybags are a good idea. I guess things like incentives are always a good way to keep clients coming back.

xProjectPrettyx

Any child's salon only charges £18
For shellac! X

People that think you are too expensive? You have nobody to answer to. There are plenty of people that think Harrods is too expensive & there are plenty that think it is good value for money! My point is that you should have a target audience, if people want to go somewhere cheaper then let them because you deserve better clients who in turn are after a quality, professional service. Brush them off, they mean nothing to you. I don't think Harrods are bothered about the people that come into their store & huff because it's too expensive, it's just too expensive for THEM, not EVERYONE. Maybe you could find the silver lining in this & promote Shellac parties, but you call the shots this time x

I charge £18 for shellac and £20 for Rockstar. Free removal and free mini solar oil for first time clients. I have a professional high end home salon but it doesn't mean I have to charge the earth. Every single client returns and I'm continually fully booked so I'm doing something right :) xxx

People that think you are too expensive? You have nobody to answer to. There are plenty of people that think Harrods is too expensive & there are plenty that think it is good value for money! My point is that you should have a target audience, if people want to go somewhere cheaper then let them because you deserve better clients who in turn are after a quality, professional service. Brush them off, they mean nothing to you. I don't think Harrods are bothered about the people that come into their store & huff because it's too expensive, it's just too expensive for THEM, not EVERYONE. Maybe you could find the silver lining in this & promote Shellac parties, but you call the shots this time x

Spot on. If these people staying they can get it cheaper for a £10 then so be it. My regulars are quite happy with the price and the service, I'm a friendly professional individual and like I said I pride myself on results and like my confidence to show through my work, this is why my clients are happy to return, because in turn they have confidence in me to do a great lasting job. it is whatever works best for you.

Harrods, selfridges, house of fraser, Harvey Nicholls, all have confidence that their prices are suitable for their high end clients/celebs etc so they won't worry about the huffing and puffing of people who feel the prices are way to high. My prices are no way near department stores but I'm happy with it and my regulars are so I'm gonna push this shellac party, trial it, see how it goes if not on this group of girls, I'm sure there will be another :)

xProjectPrettyx

Latest posts

Back