Should I charge more for layering?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manystyle

Reaction score
Like the title states. My coworker just admitted that she charges more when she layers 2 colors ( combination) I m thinking why?...Same thing one n one coat. Yes sometimes 2 and 1 coats Also she charges more for an accent nail. I understand 2 glitter nails or 2 designs but even for example all black n two accents pink she'll charge extra. According to her that's extra.

Mm mm u do that? It's a silly question Im thinking yes at the moment but find it silly. I mean clients want to try a new color that's why we combine why charge more??? N the accent nail well that accent nails it's only getting colored by a diff color.

I don't charge extra for layering as they're not getting anything extra, its generally one layer of one shade and one of another, which to me is no different to two colour coats of the same shade...I charge extra for accent nails but only if glittered or nail art etc is used I wouldn't if they were having a pink set of nails and wanted a blue accent nail, if that makes sense xxx

I agree with above. I don't charge extra for layering as for me, it's on average, one additional layer of thin colour, it usually makes for a more interesting and eye catching picture .ie. more attractive to potential clients. And I only charge for an accent nail if it is a full glitter, foil or art etc. but if it's just a change of colour I don't see how or why you would charge anymore, it's no more product being used not is it any additional time in the lamp. Xx

Thank u both! I agree! I was shocked when she told me she charges extra for that. It didn't make sense. According to her it's extra apart from the solid one color.

Between u n me the salon has been slow lately owner wants us to charge for silk ( we never did owner never minded now work its slow n owner wants more money) coworker then said she charges extra for those 2 things. After 2 yrs coworker tells me lol I think she is kissing owners ass lol saying she's charging for something I too think it's silly. ;) and never knew she did till today.

I dont charge for an accent colour, basically you're charging for unscrewing another bottle top! No extra work is there - i cant believe some charge for that!

I charge if its striped spotted glitter or whatever.

Ive had clients enquire about all different coloured nails (I use Gel in a pot, & a separate brush) im thinking of having 10 colours open/closing, 10 different gel brushes or using less but cleaning again & again & again arrrggghh.

I most definitely wouldn't be thinking its only the same amount of gel. Its faff. Ive told them I would but it would be £10 more. They changed their minds!

I charge £2.50 more for french, & if anything its less product!

Occasionally I add a coat of glitter to one nail free but thats all. Anything else is extra. Extra time, messing, cleaning.

My prices are for one solid colour only & my price list says that.

Xx

I would definatly charge more for an accent nail even if its only £1 because in each bottle you get a certain number of full sets and you wont get that if you use the colour for accent nails. It does also take longer if your not doing all nails the same colour. Im mobile though and I might think differently if I was working in a salon?

I don't charge for layering or an accent finger a different colour. I'm still using the same amount of gel polish I would if they were just having one colour. I do however charge extra for nail art and rockstar nails as I am using more products. X

Ive had clients enquire about all different coloured nails (I use Gel in a pot, & a separate brush) im thinking of having 10 colours open/closing, 10 different gel brushes or using less but cleaning again & again & again arrrggghh.

I most definitely wouldn't be thinking its only the same amount of gel. Its faff. Ive told them I would but it would be £10 more. They changed their minds!

I charge £2.50 more for french, & if anything its less product!

Occasionally I add a coat of glitter to one nail free but thats all. Anything else is extra. Extra time, messing, cleaning.

My prices are for one solid colour only & my price list says that.

Xx

I see ur point. My coworker also uses gel pots at home n it gets messy when she needs to switch from one pot to another n she charges more for each additional color. But somehow with shellac it just feels silly to charge more to unscrew another bottle lol . Especially if it's only one other color she applies to one of the fingers
But I see how u said one solid color is ur base price. Makes sense also :| thanks for ur input.

Ive never yet been asked for every finger a different colour lol my clients are reasonably traditional! So i hadnt even thought of that!

But if they do ask for that im going to say its more, that would def take longer. Im thinking an extra £3/4 is enough tho as will surely only take an extra 5 mins max?

Glad i read this thread, now i'm prepared! :)

I charge an extra £2 for layering. I was told at the shellac conversion course to use two coats of first colour and one coat of layering colour - hence I'm using more product to warrant charging more. I've never layered using only one + one coat, but if I did I, too probably not charge extra. I so charge for accent fingers but usually it's glitter or stamping so again, more product!

Latest posts

Back