Should I look for nail tech work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenniS

Reaction score
Hi All

As you are all such a great bunch :green: thought I would run something by you!!

You might have seen from my earlier posts that I have recently qualified as a nail tech. I have now set up a small room at home to work from and I'm in the process of setting up my website, but I haven't started advertising yet as I wanted to be fully set up before I got going (I'm also offering other beauty therapy treatments as I qualified as a therapist at NVQ Level 2 in 1999).

Thing is, do I really feel that I have enough experience on the nail enhancement side?? I'm not sure. My tutor at college tells me that I am very good, and I seem to have grasped it OK but I'm still taking a really long time (about 2 hours per set!) - although I'm pretty much always pleased with the finished article. I am practising every day on nail tips to perfect my technique.

I'm thinking that I might see if I can get a part-time job as a nail tech locally for maybe a couple of days a week to see how I get on. I already work for 3 days a week in the City as a project manager which covers my bills, so I'm in the nice position of not having to worry too much about whether I'm earning enough money from the beauty side of things. I'm therefore not looking to earn a huge amount from working for someone else, just really interested in gaining some experience. Of course, if I do go this route then obviously I would have to commit to doing this for some time, (1) to get the experience and (2) from the salon owner's point of view they would want someone they could rely on.

What do you think?? Am I likely to be able to get something with a limited amount of experience?? I'm very happy to do this for a minimal amount, or even work on commision only, do you think this might work from a salon owner's point of view??

Thanks for reading to the end - sorry, what started off as a quick message has nearly turned into a book!!!

Thanks

Jenni
x

Anyone any thoughts??

Hi, i am in the same position, i have a full time job (shifts), so i can do nails at weekends days off etc, but have recently qualified and feel i may need to work in a salon for a short while to gain experience. My friend said she covered xmas rush and this helped alot. Do not give up and just call in to local salons and ask around and do your website ( i had a few people from mine and it is just a free one, have a look ) x:hug:

I say go for it. What have you got to lose? Nothing. The best way to gain experience is to do lots of nails.
I have been qualified about 6 weeks now and am going to work in a salon in four weeks' time. I was worried at the time I accepted the job that I wouldn't have enough experience and that I would be too slow but I have been working at home of an evening and on weekends (I have a day job too) and I have been flat out.
My confidence is growing now. Don't worry about taking two hours. I now take between 1 1/2 to two hours for a full set and a rebalance too and I would say 95% of my clients don't mind at all. When I first qualified it was taking 3 to 3 1/2 hours so your time will come down. Just concentrate on quality not quantity and make sure your clients know this.
Also make sure the clients know before hand how long to allow for their appointment and tell the salon owner also. That way if you tell clients when they book, if they think it's going to take too long they wont come at all. A lot of my clients have had nails done elsewhere previously and it only took up to an hour but their nails didn't even last three days so they don't mind the time taken if their nails are going to last.
Like you said you are in a position where you don't have to worry about money so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Cheers
Karen

I was in the same position and tried a salon. he extra rent and hassle of having estheticians using my things and not replacing them, as well the salon wanted t make MY appointments and they kept shortin my times so that I was running ut of time (it takes longer than normal at first). I ended upgoing back home and began what has become a very enjoyable and creative career with a lot less stress and more control about who, when and what I do. Give it some serious thought. To build my clients I did th 1st 50 clients free of charge. I had to plan for it monetarily but it really paid off. Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back