Should I lower my prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Im starting to wonder if I should lower my prices for spray tanning. As im not too busy with tanning this month so far ive had 1 spray tan :irked: had 2 booked they cancelled and I cancelled one this morning due to it being a man and I had nobody in the house with me.

I usually charge 20.00 for a full body tan and 10.00 for a half body tan.

Im thinking of lowering my prices to 15.00 for a full body tan and 7.50 for a half body tan.

Do you think its a wise thing to do? as im clearly not busy :cry:

Hiya

If you scroll down you will see a few messages which says what charges peeps are making for tans. I have just reduced mine right down to £12.50 for May to see what happens.

The solutions have a shelf life so hopefully I will get a lot of bookings.

xx
Hi Geeks,

Im starting to wonder if I should lower my prices for spray tanning. As im not too busy with tanning this month so far ive had 1 spray tan :irked: had 2 booked they cancelled and I cancelled one this morning due to it being a man and I had nobody in the house with me.

Im thinking of lowering my prices to 15.00 for a full body tan and 7.50 for a half body tan.

You could run an Easter Hols offer, tans for £15 but I would put your prices down chuck, keep at £20 and run offers where you see fit.

When I very first qualified in tanning, the hair salon I worked in wanted me to do tans for £12.50 you would think that was a bargain, but given where we lived and the price of other tans in the area we just came across as cheap and tacky and in turn got nobody!!

hth

Im always doing special offers for my tans (im probably doing more special offers than i should)

Last few weeks ive been doing special offers for tans at 13.00 for a full body but nobody seems interested and nobody books in for my special offers.

Maybe im not advertising enough? I usually send my clients emails/texts to tell them about my special offers and i post on gumtree.

Ive got my website and im everywhere possible online but i dont ever seem to advertise anywhere else than here do you think i should advertise else where?

xx

Do an offer first and that will hopefully get clients in.
I am salon based so i can afford to have lower prices. I charge £12.50 but if you are mobile you need to take petrol costs into consideration.
Maybe do a May offer like Rosiedrew. Either advertise as £5 off for the month of May or advertise as £15.
Word of mouth soon spreads. I haven't advertised or done leaflet drops and i am averaging 10 tans a week.
Good luck x

I personally wouldnt go below £15 ...as for advertising, do you do regular leaflet drops in the same place?

Think about the people you see as being your clients and think about where they would be...thats where you need to get your leaflets

ie: for eg if you want to get young mums booking, where would young mums be.....brainstorm all those places and get you leaflets/promos out in that area...so for young mums, target mum and baby groups, playgroups, pre schools, and so forth

Did that make sense? Lol

Also give a £5 off voucher to all new clients that pay FULL price, that way you discounting for customer retention once you get someone book twice its much more likely to get the to rebook.....plus everyone loves something off and something exclusive dont they?!

Thanks Toni for your advice and help :hug:

I dont do any other advertising apart from online. So maybe thats why im not busy

xx

I use vista print for all mine cheap as chips and looks great.....postcards, flyers etc are almost always free on offer on vista you can add images and customise then you ony have to pay postage and vat.......but leafleting DOES work I promise you

xxx

I use vista print for all mine cheap as chips and looks great.....postcards, flyers etc are almost always free on offer on vista you can add images and customise then you ony have to pay postage and vat.......but leafleting DOES work I promise you

xxx

Thank you toni you have just set off a lightbulb for me :idea: :lol:x

everyone else has said the same as what i'm gunna say but oh well.

Just offer special deals etc.
Maybe no nesacerilly just lowering prices.

But if a client comes in for a certain treatment give them a spray tan so instead of £20 chage em £14 fine out when your clients are going holiday try and bring it up mid conversation when they have treatments make a note of it and put a special holiday package together for them!

Have to add that i have advertised in my local paper and i never get much of a response. I get a lot more from leaflet dropping round my town centre.
Haven't advertised spray tanning yet but for other stuff it works so it's definitely worth giving that a try.

Have to add that i have advertised in my local paper and i never get much of a response. I get a lot more from leaflet dropping round my town centre.
Haven't advertised spray tanning yet but for other stuff it works so it's definitely worth giving that a try.

Marketing is the way forward, advertising IMO only brings in other advertisin agents!!

Hi Geeks,

Reducing prices in some situations can stimulate more traffic /usage of your services however once you have dropped your prices its hard to put them back up.

By the sounds of it by dropping your prices your just going to erode your gross income and probably you will be in a worse position than the one you find yourself in today.

If you haven't got the through traffic reduced prices will only have an adverse effect and leave little surplus revenue to plough back into marketing which you seem to need to focus on and invest in.

There are many ways you can increase awareness of your services without breaking the bank
Good luck :hug:

have you considered clients paying for 3 spray tans/treatments and they get the 4th free - a salon in my town does that and they seem to do very well. i think they even insist on payment for all 3 treatments upfront although i think that is a little harsh - they get a card stamped so the salon knows when its time for a freebie xx

Never lower your prices because you are not busy. Do offers instead.
£15 introductory offer to all new clients. If they bring a friend then I spray the client that recommended the friend for £10. Ok so I'm not making much on the £10 tan but I have another potential client plus my current client is happy she got her tan for a tenner, so next time will bring a different friend.
It has worked very well for me. I set up a business account on facebook and added the world lol I then put my status as 'Book a spray tan throughout April for just £15'
I've had loads of new ones off there.
You just have to try different approaches hun. Don't lower your prices because it will be hard to put them back up xxx

Ok i think its best if i dont lower my prices im too scared to for some reason.

Ive come up with some things after all your advice and thank yout to all.

Im going to have one day a week where spray tans will be 15.00 this will continue every week over these summer months.

And im going to advertise more etc and have a loyalty scheme ie have 5 tans and get the 6th free

:hug:

You need to network. Get yourself out there and market your services.
There are loads of networking groups you can join:
Ladies Who Latte
Athena Network
Cappucino Connections
BRX
BNI
Duffnuts
Biscotti
She-PLC

Some of these charge to go, some do not.
Take a look at my thread on how to promote your business, there are some sure fire tactics in there.

You don't need to pay for advertising - you just need to get your bum out there and sell yourself!

Latest posts

Back