Should I not tell clients I don't do nail art!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manystyle

Reaction score
Ok lovely geeks. I was told today by my coworker that a manicurist should do art that it was part of the "job". Unfortunately I am not into drawing at all. According to my coworker I should not tell clients I don't do nail art. Thanks to shellac I am comfortable with some nail art but I just can't draw or paint. My clients are not into art so It doesn't affect me but should a manicurist know nail art? I told my coworker that not ALL manicurists do art n she said is part of our job. N she looked at me like I was crazy lol. Does not knowing nail art make me less of a manicurist? I don't do extensions either. I love shellac and manis n pedicures though.

Is it wrong to tell clients that I don't do nail art? I really don't care to "master" nail art especially drawing but should I Not tell clients I don't do. I mean if I don't do nail art that does make me less of a manicurist? HELP!! :evil:

I really don't see the point to lye to clients if I am not into art then I'm not into art..... clients I don't think get offended!!! It's frustrating but what do u think?

If art is not your thing don't do art!

no point putting energy into something you're not passionate about! I don't do art either.... hasn't affected my business!

Thanks for ur response! I think so too!! There r a few clients that I have recommended to my coworker for art. Just a few... but I really don't think ALL manicurists should do art

It was the way she said it like " u shouldn't tell clients u don't do art!" I was like if I don't then why would I lie... She was like " ur a manicurist people expect u to know that's why they come " I was like I don't think so not everyone wants art n if they do they can go to u. My loss I know.... But I really don't care lol.

Perhaps she was just trying to encourage you and your business as you can make a few more pounds on top of your normal manicure charge. I don't do nail art to any massive degree as I'm like you I cant draw free hand, but I do rhinestones, straight lines with glitter (!!!), dots with additives or different colours and my latest achievement is using the irresistible neon powders with Blackpool tiger stripes of which I'm quite chuffed about cos I never thought I'd be able to do that!! You need to be happy and confident in what you do so I wouldn't be worrying about what you don't do. If you don't have nail art on display on you colour pops etc, then I'm sure people would then think you don't offer it, but I wouldn't bring the subject up if the client hasn't mentioned it.

Customers often ask me if I do nail art and I just say that I can do it but I don't advertise it as I think personally some sorts of nail art look cheap. I prefer to add glitter or Swarovski crystals. They generally agree with me. This doesn't make me any less of a technician I'm a master painter not Picasso. I think you should only do nail art if you have a natural flair, that way no matter what you do will look amazing! Divine by design and kirsty meakin do fab art unless I could do something similar to them I don't bother xx

I don't think nail art is a part of a job of a manicurist. I mean I wasn't tought nail art in school and didn't have to pass exams on it, so sure it's not a requirement? Lol.
But seriously, if you are not into it-why bother? Not doing nails art doesn't make any less of a professional at all! From my experience people don't expect you to do it. If they want it done-they will ask. But there tons of clients that are not into it at all either. My co-worker never did nail art and never wanted to learn it (and she was super busy too). We never had any nail art supplies in the salon either. All we had were a few of those striper polishes, so if someone wanted some nail art I would just draw some flowers or some simple design for them. But really, there was very few of those clients. Just depends on clientele really.

U don't have to draw to do nail art
Cheat stamps are good
Stripping tape
Dotting tools
Glitter
Don't say u can't so something give it a go.
Not many people can do intricate designs but client really just want something different
Give it a go it's so much fun

U don't have to draw to do nail art
Cheat stamps are good
Stripping tape
Dotting tools
Glitter
Don't say u can't so something give it a go.
Not many people can do intricate designs but client really just want something different
Give it a go it's so much fun

Completely agree! 'I can't do nail art' but have done some lovely nails using stamps, dotting tool, netting, glitter & additives. There are some amazing effects that can be created without needing to be a fantastic artist.

I also find when I get the stamper out people are impressed as they've not seen the method used before 😄

I have got most of my ideas from threads on here, YouTube & Facebook nail art pages xxx

My colleague does gel polish, manis & pedis but no art or extensions. I do all things nail related so if people want something she doesn't do she simply books it in with me. And she owns the salon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank u all for ur wonderful responses! We r manicurists not Picasso lol I love that!! N I just ordered a stamp set! So I am excited to play with it when it arrives.. I do think some nail art looks cheap. I personally like the clean elegant look than a flower in my big toe lol.

I like the idea to dot, stamp, glitter and there are many videos online with shellac so I will try to give it a go! This other manicurist studied in japan so nail art it's huge so Maibe that is why she thinks a manicurist should do art lol ...

I feel a lot better now yesterday i was furious with her lol... Now I know that not knowing does not make me less of a manicurist lol... ..Thank u all wonderful responses

Ok lovely geeks. I was told today by my coworker that a manicurist should do art that it was part of the "job". Unfortunately I am not into drawing at all. According to my coworker I should not tell clients I don't do nail art. Thanks to shellac I am comfortable with some nail art but I just can't draw or paint. My clients are not into art so It doesn't affect me but should a manicurist know nail art? I told my coworker that not ALL manicurists do art n she said is part of our job. N she looked at me like I was crazy lol. Does not knowing nail art make me less of a manicurist? I don't do extensions either. I love shellac and manis n pedicures though.

Is it wrong to tell clients that I don't do nail art? I really don't care to "master" nail art especially drawing but should I Not tell clients I don't do. I mean if I don't do nail art that does make me less of a manicurist? HELP!! :evil:

I really don't see the point to lye to clients if I am not into art then I'm not into art..... clients I don't think get offended!!! It's frustrating but what do u think?

Hey doll, if you don't like or do nail art then don't.
I been in the industry 8years solid now and I never did nail ate unless you wanted a sticker. I worked for up market nail hand spa in London and was told under no circumstances do we offer "footballers wives nails" is what my stuck up toffy nosed boss told me and if they want that send them to chinese shop!
Well jokes on her because it's taken off now.

But no it is a specialized field takes years of practice and confidence is key! I am upfront with my clients I say I sux at nail art and can do stone or stickers but that's it. Over years I done nail art courses and I can do moderate art now using pro polish or shellac type consistence however this co worked might just be fluffing up her who and trying to make you feel bad.

I seen great nail art done in the most shocking extensions or manicures!! What is the point I ask?! So master your nails as you like yourself if they want art tough. They can use sticker or go to ur co worker if they really want to.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Bad nail art is bad, so as has been said, unless you can do it really well, don't bother. I have no desire to do nail art and luckily most of my clients aren't remotely interested. They think a different coloured ring finger is crazy and out there lol x

I never lie to my clients!
Not all techs do painted nail art, some don't like doing it and some are simply just rubbish at it.
I am rubbish at it so I cheat and use decals!! They are brill and look really impressive :)
Getting some gems & bows/flower pieces are great too! They for the impression of great nail art without actually doing any art, your just sticking them on :) xxx

I feel like you, its not my thing. However I have "branched out" somewhat and found that you really don't have to be much of an artist to apply a few dots with a dotting tool or use the dotting tool to do a leopard print design, or appy a few multi coloured rhinestones. And I do it quite a bit now and I find people who have something a bit more noticeable on their nails are often the ones who get asked "who does your nails," so a bit of a good referral tool sometimes!

As far as any other sort of nail art goes, in my experience it is a complete pain in the backside...takes several minutes for clients to decide what they want and what colours, ages between layers waiting for paint to dry, the pressure is on not to cock it up if its something intricate which automatically makes you much more likely to lol, and i find people don't want to pay much at all for it. Never worth it. Just my thoughts xx

If u dont like art don't do it

I don't like feet so I've stopped doing them

It's our business, so it's up to us :D

Latest posts

Back