Show us your baby bumps and scans

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister has been at the hospital a lot recently with my niece and on speaking to the paediatric doctor about colic and what she was using etc he stated that a colicky baby is a baby which they cannot identify why they cry. They cry more than other babies and they do not know why and are given the term colic - it is not a medical condition and certainly nothing that could be treated according to him as what would you be treating when no-one knows what causes it. He said that they normally grow out of this at about 4 months - my niece is 3 and a half months now. Just a worry that they retail all these drops, dr brown bottles etc for colic and people buy them thinking that they will benefit from using them.
Just wanted to add this as I see people have been talking about it. xx

Id like to sit down and have a chat with that dr and tell him he's talking crap,

Taylor is 15 days old now, gone sooo quick!

He is having a few problems with his little belly bless him, had to change his milk to comfort milk but it hasn't made any difference, he is on infacol before every feed aswell but still crys out with belly ache.

We sit & wind him for AGES but he doesn't bring it up much, have tried all sorts & been on all sorts of websites for tips but none of them work to help him get his wind up.

Heard of something called colief but apparently he can't have it on the comfort milk :(

I'm going to get him in the drs to see what he can do because this has been going on just over a week now, the health visitor said to change his milk & give it a few days to work before we go to the dr, which we did the milk thing & although he initially seemed better it doesn't seem to be having any affect now so hopefully the dr can help! horrible to see a newborn crying in pain.

He's not in pain all the time, just after each bottle for a while then he eventually settles but takes a long time for him to get comfortable, I think he has silent reflux because of all the research I've done he has most of the symptoms of it.

Xx

My little one has been a bit like this and I've found rubbing his belly helps and giving him a small amount of cooled boiled water between feeds works wonders! I don't mean a lot, even just half an ounze would be fine xx

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

Id like to sit down and have a chat with that dr and tell him he's talking crap,

Haha. He said he had a child like this himself as well so had been through it!! xx

Haha. He said he had a child like this himself as well so had been through it!! xx

You can tell by looking at a baby if it has wind never mind trapped wind,
Iv had one too and believe the difference was incredible, I managed to get it sorted by the time she was a few weeks old, with no helpful info from health professionals,
You know your own baby and follow your gut instinct.

You can tell by looking at a baby if it has wind never mind trapped wind,
Iv had one too and believe the difference was incredible, I managed to get it sorted by the time she was a few weeks old, with no helpful info from health professionals,
You know your own baby and follow your gut instinct.

Had a wee look online and it does confirm what he said. Took this from
Babycentre - not saying its fact but it does back up what paediatric doctor said.
"Colic happens when your baby, who is otherwise healthy and thriving, cries excessively and can't be soothed. This sort of crying is also called persistent crying. If your doctor has ruled out a treatable cause for your baby's crying, you're back to coping with the colic however you can. Sometimes feeding or burping your baby will work, as babies often cry when they are hungry or need winding."

Let's just say that I hope my child does not suffer from this as I sure it is very difficult to watch/listen to them crying and possibly not be able to ease it. xxxx

Had a wee look online and it does confirm what he said. Took this from
Babycentre - not saying its fact but it does back up what paediatric doctor said.
"Colic happens when your baby, who is otherwise healthy and thriving, cries excessively and can't be soothed. This sort of crying is also called persistent crying. If your doctor has ruled out a treatable cause for your baby's crying, you're back to coping with the colic however you can. Sometimes feeding or burping your baby will work, as babies often cry when they are hungry or need winding."

Let's just say that I hope my child does not suffer from this as I sure it is very difficult to watch/listen to them crying and possibly not be able to ease it. xxxx

I looked into yrs ago with my wee one, and I don't doubt the dr said that, I personally don't believe it, when you have a baby youl soon know what they are crying for and the "trapped wind" cry is obvious, sorry your niece is not a happy bunny just now, has your sister tried changing her bottles to dr browns?

I had 3 in 3 yrs so my opinions are quite strong, don't want to come across harsh though x

Aww, how much does Olivia weigh now? She is so cute xx

I'm not sure how much she weighs now, got the HV coming next week so will know then.

Olivia has been struggling with wind/colic screaming for 6hrs some evenings! I've bought gripe water, infacol and just recently coilef. They don't seem to be helping.

I had to take her to the hospital yesterday, she had an appointment. She was tongue tied and it needed to be cut, the doctor said it was the second most severe tongue tied Caucasian baby he had ever seen. So anyway they snipped the skin on her tongue (didn't numb it!) and he said the reason she might have been getting more wind is because she couldn't latch on to the bottle properly leaving room for air to get in because she hasn't got a good seal around the bottle. Hopefully now that will stop and she won't take down as much air.
She is just getting used to her new tongue now and being able to move it freely! I'm hoping for a cry free night tonight :)
X

I looked into yrs ago with my wee one, and I don't doubt the dr said that, I personally don't believe it, when you have a baby youl soon know what they are crying for and the "trapped wind" cry is obvious, sorry your niece is not a happy bunny just now, has your sister tried changing her bottles to dr browns?

I had 3 in 3 yrs so my opinions are quite strong, don't want to come across harsh though x

Hey. Yeah my sister has been using dr brown bottles pretty much since the beginning. She is now onto her second prescribed milk which again is not improving the situation much. They thought she might have a cows milk intolerance. She is just so uncontented all the time although I am not sure if it could be down to lack of routine!!!
Don't worry about being too harsh. I don't have an opinion on it as I have not been in the situation - can only say what the doctor told us and what I have read.
Think that might change in 4 months though if I am going through it myself!! xx

I'm not sure how much she weighs now, got the HV coming next week so will know then.

Olivia has been struggling with wind/colic screaming for 6hrs some evenings! I've bought gripe water, infacol and just recently coilef. They don't seem to be helping.

I had to take her to the hospital yesterday, she had an appointment. She was tongue tied and it needed to be cut, the doctor said it was the second most severe tongue tied Caucasian baby he had ever seen. So anyway they snipped the skin on her tongue (didn't numb it!) and he said the reason she might have been getting more wind is because she couldn't latch on to the bottle properly leaving room for air to get in because she hasn't got a good seal around the bottle. Hopefully now that will stop and she won't take down as much air.
She is just getting used to her new tongue now and being able to move it freely! I'm hoping for a cry free night tonight :)
X

Awww bless her well hopefully that will sort it out for her!! Can't believe they don't numb it!!!! Xx

Awww bless her well hopefully that will sort it out for her!! Can't believe they don't numb it!!!! Xx

Yeah hopefully :)

I know I was shocked! I knew it wasn't going to be very nice because they had warned me because the tongue is quite a vascular (think that's how you spell it) area it will bleed a lot. But she was so good, she did cry but not for long and I got her settled. X

Yeah hopefully :)

I know I was shocked! I knew it wasn't going to be very nice because they had warned me because the tongue is quite a vascular (think that's how you spell it) area it will bleed a lot. But she was so good, she did cry but not for long and I got her settled. X

Awwww I think I would have cried with her!!!! My little girl (now 2.5yrs) was born with a undeveloped thyroid so she has blood taken every 3months ( going to every 6now) and that's bad enough!! Xx

Happy due date EdenHair, any news?

I think it has gone so quick since you posted your 12 weeks scan pic. Xx

Edenhair, good luck, hope baby doesn't keep you waiting too much longer x

Any news EdenHair? Xx

She's hopefully too busy having baby cuddles.......

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391869314.079475.jpg

This is Taylor when they did his bounty photos in the hospital, he loves the camera. x

View attachment 55309

This is Taylor when they did his bounty photos in the hospital, he loves the camera. x

Aww bless him. I didn't get to have bounty pictures on the day Olivia was born. The lady who does them wasn't well and wasn't doing pictures that day.
But here is one of Olivia on the day she was born and my son on the day he was born... They look so alike...don't you think?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391898061.082611.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391921475.054630.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391921506.669159.jpg
Geeks meet Maxim Roy Marsh 9lb 5oz our little chunky monkey came into the world by emergency C-Sec at 7:36am Thursday 6th Feb 2014 after a 2 day excruciating labour but he was worth every single pain and twinge. Hubby and I are over the moon he's beautiful beyond words 💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙

Me n Max have been quite poorly with an infection he was in special care unit since Thursday evening we're both on iv drip AB's and waiting for blood cultures to come back but we are improving and Max is now back on the ward with me this evening.💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

Oh lovey he's beautiful. Goodness me, I hope you're both on the mend. Much love to you both xxx

Sent from my Luna TAB07-100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Congrats, he's gorgeous! Hope your both well soon x

Latest posts

Back