Shrinking with IBD just gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnailsbylisax

Reaction score
I'm new to gel polish so thought i'd ask a quick question for advice.

I did a set today with gel polish on natural nails however on 2 of the nails the polish started to shrink away from one of the sidewalls. The other nails were fine & i applied it the same way as the others (no thicker, not touching cuticle or sidewall) & it only shrunk from 1 sidewall on both nails. I capped the free edge but was just wondering what could have caused it?

Try shaking the bottle more. When I've had shrinkage issues I have shaken the bottle for a minute or so and the problem has stopped. This seems to happen sometimes with really full bottles. HTH

Did you apply the base coat really thin? I find if the base coat is a bit thick this happens. Same with the colour - I keep all my coats really thin. Or try doing just a couple of fingers at a time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I applied reallythin but didn't shake the bottle. I did another set straight after and that was fine but that was with Geleration. Hope i get the hang of it :(

I applied reallythin but didn't shake the bottle. I did another set straight after and that was fine but that was with Geleration. Hope i get the hang of it :(

With ibd Just Gel Polish you do have to shake/roll it. It is pigmented polish so the pigments settle to the bottom of the bottle.

So what you described as shrinkage was probably in actual fact clear gel.

With ibd Just Gel Polish you do have to shake/roll it. It is pigmented polish so the pigments settle to the bottom of the bottle.

So what you described as shrinkage was probably in actual fact clear gel.

Shows how little i know lol. I will definitely do that next time thankyou x

If you are right-handed the shrinkage on the nails was probably down the right hand side where the base coat had not gone all the way to the side wall, or your polish was a little thick in that area.

... The colour will always follow the base coat so make sure the base is painted to a hairs breadth of the surrounding tissue.

We always think we do the exact same thing to every nail, but we don't. For right handed people, they often don't polish as accurately on the right hand side of the nail as it is harder to turn the hand to see ... Obviously it is the opposite for left handed people.

Last edited:
Shows how little i know lol. I will definitely do that next time thankyou x

that is the good thing about this forum, we are here to help each other.

It happened to me once or twice and I finally worked it out. When I have used the same colours it happened with before and given them a really good shake, it didn't happen again.

There are some gel polishes out there you don't have to shake so its easy to get confused if you use a few different brands.

I hope you have success.

Best wishes and good luck.

If you are tight handed the shrinkage on the nails was probably down the right hand side where the base coat had not gone all the way to the side wall, or your polish was a little thick in that area.

... The colour will always follow the base coat so make sure the base is painted to a hairs breadth of the surrounding tissue.

We always think we do the exact same thing to every nail, but we don't. For right handed people, they often don't polish as accurately on the right hand side of the nail as it is harder to turn the hand to see ... Obviously it is the opposite for left handed people.

I am right handed Geeg & it was both sidewalls on the right so that is possibly what i have done. That thought never even crossed my mind. Thankyou, i will pay more attention to tha next time :)

I am right handed Geeg & it was both sidewalls on the right so that is possibly what i have done. That thought never even crossed my mind. Thankyou, i will pay more attention to tha next time :)

I'm an educator ... Lol ... I know this stuff. X

I'm an educator ... Lol ... I know this stuff. X

I know & i'm glad there are people like yourself out there to help people like me haha. Got a set to do tomorrow so will make sure i cover all nail plate properly & double check x

Latest posts

Back