Sick days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked as a salon owner for the past two years with my 22 year old daughter as my employee. In that time neither of us have had a days sickness.

I can honestly say in many previous jobs I would throw a sicky at the drop of a hat. Not now!

Fortunately both my daughters have inherited me and my husbands work ethic. They are true grafters and have both had jobs since they were about 14. We live in the middle of nowhere but that didn't stop them. They have washed pots, waitressed etc and their sickness record is non existent.

Sadly too many people are brought up to believe the world owes them a living. It doesn't!

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Unfortunately I think it's pathetic too, I feel bad sometimes because I doubt if employees are actually ill but as I said 9 times out of 10 their really not, my attitude is like red stars comment above, it really irritates me when I fully book and even double book up a day and then I get the text or call.. I'm so sick... Grrr 😤

I drill into all my juniors how important they are to the team constantly to make sure I'm as clear as can be, so when they do let the team down they let themselves down too, and I have no problem in pointing it out lol

You do know people do get genuinely ill yes? If someone has the flu they can't move. If someone has sickness and diarrhoea then they are usually highly infectious and should not be touching clients!

You fire people for being ill? Do you inform them that illness means firing? I'm pretty sure that's illegal too. You'll lose good people to your martyrdom.

As far as the uk is concerned. If someone has a genuine illness or disability then the employer must make something called reasonable adjustments. For example if someone was hurt in say a car crash and could only manage to come back part time after recovery then they must allow flexible hours etc. If someone is faking/exaggerating an illness to get time off and they get found out obviously the staff are going to be seriously angry! X

You do know people do get genuinely ill yes? If someone has the flu they can't move. If someone has sickness and diarrhoea then they are usually highly infectious and should not be touching clients!

You fire people for being ill? Do you inform them that illness means firing? I'm pretty sure that's illegal too. You'll lose good people to your martyrdom.

I think we all know the difference between someone who is REALLY too sick for work, (flu or diarrhoea), and those who regularly 'throw a sicky'.
There is a difference.
I have many times had a client in my chair, enjoying their 'day off sick'.....
They know who they are.......:mad:

I have many times had a client in my chair, enjoying their 'day off sick'.....
They know who they are.......:mad:

Omg dont get me started.

"*coughs all over me* Oh I'm so glad I could come in. Can I have a tea? I've had this nasty case of flu with diarrhoea/vomiting."

I hate it when people say they have flu when its just a cold... 😑

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I hate it when people say they have flu when its just a cold... 😑

Me too. But people do also genuinely get to flu too and you can't move if you have it.
It's really wrong to distrust and bully your staff. It creates a bad working environment based on fear. If you hire them you should respect them and trust them. People get ill, it's a fact of life. As an employer it's your job to make arrangements in the case of employee illness.

I somewhat agree but Kahuna makes a great point about how other staff and clients are relying on the stylists. It can be hard.

I once heard about a girl with cancer. She had a bad day and ended up in hospital. They still expected her to come in. I did hear this on the grape vine so it's possible the story has been exaggerated but it's still crazy.

Me too. But people do also genuinely get to flu too and you can't move if you have it.
It's really wrong to distrust and bully your staff. It creates a bad working environment based on fear. If you hire them you should respect them and trust them. People get ill, it's a fact of life. As an employer it's your job to make arrangements in the case of employee illness.

Yeah i know. Just saying a runny nose is not the flu 😆😆

Before I became self employed I regularly took sick days in my office job, I couldn't understand why my hair dresser friend wouldn't do the same when we'd try persuade her to stay out for 'a few more drinks' on a Friday night.

We'd happily do it knowing we'd get sick pay at the end of it... I was 18/19 with no responsibilities and few morals, clearly 😂

Now I run my own business I haven't had a sick day in 5 years.

Yes, I have still been ill in this time but I now plod on through it, the reputation, the guilt, the loss of income all has an immediate effect on myself and I think if this pressure was on employed staff they'd immediately feel a whole lot better and more likely to work, they just have it too easy!!

I've had very few sick days.. I've always seen it as if I don't work I don't get paid.. Unless I'm contagious...

Im in the UK but only work for a small company with no sick pay scheme (except statutory sick pay) so I have to be really ill to be off work. On the rare occasions I am off ill I have to lose a day's pay or use a day's holiday entitlement.

My job is admin/sales and is often stressful. Last year my doctor signed me off work for a week due to excess stress. This was on a Friday but after the weekend I was back in work on the Monday due to anxiety over losing money, using days from my holiday entitlement and worrying if jobs would get done at work or not.

Guys I'm going to look like a hypochondriac now but I got the flu jab last October and can highly recommend it! I know they say it doesn't kill colds but I get at least one really awful feverish cold every winter and I can now say as it's officially spring, that I've not been ill at all with anything for the whole winter! On the subject of illness I think if you get run Down you tend to get other things too. It was 13 pounds in boots and it kills about 4 of the viruses that cause flu illnesses every year. ️Xx

A huge majority of UK jobs don't get sick pay. I never have in any of my admin/office jobs so it's no different.

Get a grip on yourself, in no way do I Instill fear, distrust or bully my staff! They'd come back to me in a flash! One begs regularly for her job back, you are making assumptions based on comments you've read on a thread on a forum....

Respect is a 2 way street, which is why when they mess me about I take it that they have a lack of respect, they are fully aware of this!

I agree it is my job to make arrangements in case of employee sickness but when the text comes in at 5 to 9 it's a bit too much short notice!

I'd rather know their not coming back in at all at least then your not constantly being let down and never knowing if staff can be arsed for work that day, I treat them well & pay them well, it's just sometimes their bed or their mates or a day at the beach is more of a priority to them... In which case I usually find out through the grapevine.... Well I always find out eventually....

Tonsillitis is the one I get chucked at me most often not flu, both my previous juniors got the flu jab anyway so they couldn't get flu...

Tonsillitis is the most horrible illness I've ever had! I've been bed ridden many times between the age of 6 and 22! So when someone tells me they have it and their too sick to get out of bed, I actually do believe them.....

And then the snapchats start & the Facebook posts, then the constant text messages and phone calls of what time can they come pick up their wages! 😳 uh...? I thought you were too sick to move!?! I waited untill evening and took her wage packet to her house..... She was out with her mates... Mum diddnt even look bothered... And that's just 1 of them!

Me and my children have an amazing work ethic & I wish other parents could show their children how to be like it too, my middle son, now aged 12 had 100% attendance from year 2 infants right up to the last day of primary... If he was ill he'd deal with it... If he was unwell He would muddle through all week, go to bed Friday night and only get up to eat untill Monday morning, he'd be back up and at it! HE chose to do this himself from hearing a story how his great grandfather never missed a day off school... I am very proud of him! He started comp in September and came down with a really nasty bout of tonsillitis it litterally knocked him for 6, he took 2 days off school & was in bed the whole time... He was so disappointed but ovs it can't be helped, so I do understand illness but I also understand it takes a certain kind of person to be commited to working every day without fail... My juniors were not those type of people, my children are and I am...

Get a grip on yourself, in no way do I Instill fear, distrust or bully my staff! They'd come back to me in a flash! One begs regularly for her job back, you are making assumptions based on comments you've read on a thread on a forum....

Respect is a 2 way street, which is why when they mess me about I take it that they have a lack of respect, they are fully aware of this!

I agree it is my job to make arrangements in case of employee sickness but when the text comes in at 5 to 9 it's a bit too much short notice!

I'd rather know their not coming back in at all at least then your not constantly being let down and never knowing if staff can be arsed for work that day, I treat them well & pay them well, it's just sometimes their bed or their mates or a day at the beach is more of a priority to them... In which case I usually find out through the grapevine.... Well I always find out eventually....

Tonsillitis is the one I get chucked at me most often not flu, both my previous juniors got the flu jab anyway so they couldn't get flu...

Tonsillitis is the most horrible illness I've ever had! I've been bed ridden many times between the age of 6 and 22! So when someone tells me they have it and their too sick to get out of bed, I actually do believe them.....

And then the snapchats start & the Facebook posts, then the constant text messages and phone calls of what time can they come pick up their wages! 😳 uh...? I thought you were too sick to move!?! I waited untill evening and took her wage packet to her house..... She was out with her mates... Mum diddnt even look bothered... And that's just 1 of them!

Me and my children have an amazing work ethic & I wish other parents could show their children how to be like it too, my middle son, now aged 12 had 100% attendance from year 2 infants right up to the last day of primary... If he was ill he'd deal with it... If he was unwell He would muddle through all week, go to bed Friday night and only get up to eat untill Monday morning, he'd be back up and at it! HE chose to do this himself from hearing a story how his great grandfather never missed a day off school... I am very proud of him! He started comp in September and came down with a really nasty bout of tonsillitis it litterally knocked him for 6, he took 2 days off school & was in bed the whole time... He was so disappointed but ovs it can't be helped, so I do understand illness but I also understand it takes a certain kind of person to be commited to working every day without fail... My juniors were not those type of people, my children are and I am...

You described it as firing people for being ill. Now you say it's for pretending to be ill. These things are different. Try explaining what you mean next time. It would be wrong to do what you first described which was fire people for being ill..

You described it as firing people for being ill. Now you say it's for pretending to be ill. These things are different. Try explaining what you mean next time. It would be wrong to do what you first described which was fire people for being ill..

No need to be so condescending.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I said I regularly sack people for being sick..... I have yet to come across a staff member who is actually ill. For real

I have described the circumstances thoughout my posts

You are not the sick police, I know what's right and wrong thank you

I said I regularly sack people for being sick..... I have yet to come across a staff member who is actually ill. For real

I have described the circumstances thoughout my posts

You are not the sick police, I know what's right and wrong thank you

haha no that's your job Detective Kahuna lols :biggrin:

totally agree with your work ethic.. hate the slobby lazy attitudes to work some people have

A huge majority of UK jobs don't get sick pay. I never have in any of my admin/office jobs so it's no different.

I don't think that's strictly true. I get paid sick leave in my office job and 10 days special leave for any bereavement/special appointments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back