Sick days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reidebot

Down the Rabbit hole.
Reaction score
So I've noticed it's really common for us in Australia to be bullied/pressured/both into coming into work even when we are on our death beds. Is this an issue in the UK as well?

I regularly sack people for being sick

If you're actually ill than itd be acceptable... but every few weeks or months for a cold or whatever. You have to be really poorly to not go..

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

So I've noticed it's really common for us in Australia to be bullied/pressured/both into coming into work even when we are on our death beds. Is this an issue in the UK as well?

When you wake up 'on your death bed', be sure you are, before you lift the phone.......
Imagine it is YOUR BUSINESS, and that YOU are the boss, the one who will need to contact numerous clients, trying to re-schedule, and not disappoint those who have been looking forward to their Birthday treat/Special day, or just changed their day off at work to accommodate the booking.
Staff members who will have to 'cover' for you, perhaps miss their lunch, stay late, and work under pressure......
In 30+ years the only time I've missed work was 2 day's with flu, and 4 weeks to have 2 babies......
You'll get no sympathy here. :irked:

When you wake up 'on your death bed', be sure you are, before you lift the phone.......

Imagine it is YOUR BUSINESS, and that YOU are the boss, the one who will need to contact numerous clients, trying to re-schedule, and not disappoint those who have been looking forward to their Birthday treat/Special day, or just changed their day off at work to accommodate the booking.

Staff members who will have to 'cover' for you, perhaps miss their lunch, stay late, and work under pressure......

In 30+ years the only time I've missed work was 2 day's with flu, and 4 weeks to have 2 babies......

You'll get no sympathy here. :irked:

My Saturday girl has done 1.5 out of 3 Saturday's. More time off than my stylist in 2 years! Last week a family emergency, had to have half day, today a sickness bug! I despair!

I have had a sick day today and I am the boss so wasn't done lightly, I am 10 weeks pregnant and must of been sick about 50 times today and everytime I get up feel so dizzy like I'm going to faint, felt guilty leaving my staff to it and feel so frustrated I can't just get on with things 😳😭

Linkles if you had been off sick today I find it unbelievable you still find the time to moan on SG

That's why I sack so many people... Their too sick to work but have all the time in the world for social networks, forums, snapchat etc... And 9 times out of 10 I catch them out as a result of social media too.

I've never been too ill to work, ever. I'm a team player so would never let my team down when I was employed, I think it's the work ethic instilled in you that keeps you going, now I'm an owner I set the standard for attendance :)

If you don't show up.... Your fired! Simple... View attachment 84225

Last time I was off sick I had swine flu and developed pluracy (sp?). I worked in retail at the time and they don't take sick days lightly especially as it was Xmas time. Usually I buy a box of Beechams and get on with life.

If you don't show up.... Your fired! Simple... View attachment 84225[/QUOTE]

Lol even for one sick day?

Haha well thats fair enough. Harsh if you are ill though 😳😳 haha.
My fellas mom works with a lady (in her 40s) who never even works a full month... and if she does come to work she gets sent home cos shes in such a state over things like... her bf cheating on her.. or one time people were saying stuff about her on facebook. Pathetic 😑

Haha well thats fair enough. Harsh if you are ill though 😳😳 haha.
My fellas mom works with a lady (in her 40s) who never even works a full month... and if she does come to work she gets sent home cos shes in such a state over things like... her bf cheating on her.. or one time people were saying stuff about her on facebook. Pathetic 😑

We had one like this in my old job, drama all the time. It got old, fast. She was sacked in the end and went around telling people it was because our team leader fancied her and she turned him down so he got her sacked! Hmm ok then.

Unfortunately I think it's pathetic too, I feel bad sometimes because I doubt if employees are actually ill but as I said 9 times out of 10 their really not, my attitude is like red stars comment above, it really irritates me when I fully book and even double book up a day and then I get the text or call.. I'm so sick... Grrr 😤

I drill into all my juniors how important they are to the team constantly to make sure I'm as clear as can be, so when they do let the team down they let themselves down too, and I have no problem in pointing it out lol

Yep. Perfectly understand. Its so annoying when you're dealing with the stress and angry customers. Last time i was ill (and i was) i went to work... and i regretted it. They were vile to me 😑

When I worked in a salon I always dragged myself in when I was ill, felt too guilty to call in sick. Once I had labyrinthitis, the whole salon felt like it was spinning but I still tried to work, my boss saw me walking around holding onto the wall and sent me home lol, the other time I was off sick was because i had a migraine at work, I get migraines with aura so I can't see properly. I had a facial booked in so I did that and then went home afterwards. Never pulled a sicky in my life and never phoned in sick and let the team and clients down. However there was one girl who was constantly off sick, used to really get my back up!

Haha were sorting the good workers from the bad here! I'll be sending you lot job invitations ;)

I have never had a sick day. I tried to call in once when I had been up and vomiting all night on a 14 day week to see if my boss was happy for me to come in when I was like that (low key fashion shows and photo shoots made my week so long) and my boss got me to come in that day and take my school day off as ran R.D.O and helped look after me at work. But I heard aussie stylist complaining on fb that it's a huge issue in the industry where bosses will start being really nasty to you when you come back and even stylists will bully you hence why I thought it was an interesting discussion. It's good to hear from the owners side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back