Sick note

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
Hi all I'm a bit confused and would like a bit of help, I recently had time off work due to a kidney infection and stomach bug I went to the doctors and also went up to the hospital as they were concenred about my appendix, anyways I work part time on a pro rata basis I fell I'll on the 3rd of April and my first day off of work was the 5th of April during my illness I only had 4 days that I was suppose to work off the last day was the 10th of april my next day back to work on the rota was the 14th! My manager has asked me for a sick not saying that I was off from the 5th to the 14th and that's more than 7 days I'm so confused as I wasn't I'll during the last 4 days I rang my doctor for a sick note and he turned round and and said tht he isn't giving me one that I'm entitled to 7 days sick and if my manager wants one then to ring up himself and request it as he's fed up of people
Wasting his time, so I gave my manager the number and he keeps ringing me telling me to get a doctors note, I'm not sure how it al works but it's stressing me out does any one know about this I would be very grateful x

I hope you are feeling much better now.

The seven days start from the first day of illness (not necessarily the first day you missed work) and so you start counting from 3rd April until 9th April.

If you were off on 10th April then you have had 8 days sick and so would require a sick note from your GP.

He is entitled to charge you for it. (Many don't)

Your manager is not quite right as only the period of sickness is relevant, regardless of what your actual working days are. Obviously, you can't have a sick note covering the days when you have recovered and are not ill.

Many people in your position would probably have told their boss that they became unfit for work on the first day they were meant to be working and count the seven days from then.

Also, your GP sounds a right charmer! He knows that your employer is not entitled to request a sick note on your behalf as its contrary to the Data Protection Act unless you also include written permission within the request.

You will have to request the note from your GP yourself. However, as you have already seen him, you can put the request in writing and leave it with his receptionist.

Thanks for your reply I am feeling a lot better thankyou :) I thought the 3rd to the 10th is only 7 days, I've been on the phone to acas and they have also advised me that if I was not rota'd to work from the 10th to the 14th then that is not my fault and won't be able to require a sick note as I was not sick, my doctor basically said I'm entitled to seven days by law and wants to stop employers like my manager thinking they can get away with it and if he wants one then he will have to pay for it c

So let me get this right, your first day off sick was April 5th and last day off sick was April 10th?

This is 5 days (I know you were only on rota for 4 of these) which would require you to do a self certificate. This should be provided by your employer, you can self cert from 3-7 days off. You can only get a doctors note if you were off sick for over 7 days.

My mum was a medical secretary so I know this is fact.
Hope that helps.
Rhiannon x

So let me get this right, your first day off sick was April 5th and last day off sick was April 10th?

This is 5 days (I know you were only on rota for 4 of these) which would require you to do a self certificate. This should be provided by your employer, you can self cert from 3-7 days off. You can only get a doctors note if you were off sick for over 7 days.

Hope that helps.
Rhiannon x

Thanks so much! It really does help I've done a self certificate already at work it's a good thing I've looked into my rights and asked you guys on here dono what I would do without SG! Xx

Thanks so much! It really does help I've done a self certificate already at work it's a good thing I've looked into my rights and asked you guys on here dono what I would do without SG! Xx

You're welcome. I've been in a similar situation to this myself with an old employer so I know how you feel. It helps when you know a little about laws etc :)
Rhiannon x

Hope that helps.
Rhiannon x

Yes & No.

The OP already stated that she was first sick on 3rd April and was sick up until and including 10th April. That's 8 days as you count both 3rd April and 10th April.

It's not the days that you work that are relevant but the days you were ill that count.

**********Example**************

For instance, assuming Sunday is the first of the month and you normally work Tuesday to Saturday and fell ill on the Sunday 1st and became well again on the Monday 9th returning to work the next day, Tuesday 10th, you will have had 9 days sick, and so will need to provide a doctors note.

However, in order to 'simplify matters' many staff will state they were sick on the first day that they were due to work, in this example the Tuesday 3rd and became well again the following Monday 9th, equalling 7 days and thereby self certificating.

I understood that the OP has already told her employer that she became ill on 3rd April not 5th April. Therefore, in this instance, her employer is entitled to request a doctors note.

Also, it is the responsibility of the employee to pay any medical fees required in obtaining the note, not the employer.

Yes & No.

The OP already stated that she was first sick on 3rd April and was sick up until and including 10th April. That's 8 days as you count both 3rd April and 10th April.

It's not the days that you work that are relevant but the days you were ill that count.

**********Example**************

For instance, assuming Sunday is the first of the month and you normally work Tuesday to Saturday and fell ill on the Sunday 1st and became well again on the Monday 9th returning to work the next day, Tuesday 10th, you will have had 9 days sick, and so will need to provide a doctors note.

However, in order to 'simplify matters' many staff will state they were sick on the first day that they were due to work, in this example the Tuesday 3rd and became well again the following Monday 9th, equalling 7 days and thereby self certificating.

I understood that the OP has already told her employer that she became ill on 3rd April not 5th April. Therefore, in this instance, her employer is entitled to request a doctors note.

Also, it is the responsibility of the employee to pay any medical fees required in obtaining the note, not the employer.

That is my understanding as an employer myself.

Ps very well explained :)

Latest posts

Back