Sick pay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headz & Bedz

Reaction score
I have a member of staff, been with me for 15/16weeks....had a weeks paid holiday, not covered her wages since she started , I ve had to re-cut n colour 7 of her clients , moaned endlessly to the other girls about being better off on benefits, works 18hrs a week.....just freshly diagnosed with long term illness..now gone off on the sick. As much as I can appreciate she can not control her illness, I feel as a small business it's very unfair for me to find£90 every week sick pay ..anyone else had this problem??

You can get that back can't you?

She's already proving she's not up to the job if you're having to correct her work.
If she's not going to be able to continue to work, you need to look at letting her go.

Get some advice and then put it into practice.

She must of had a probation period??

You don't pay the £90 a week.

Employers can no longer reclaim ssp unfortunately so if a staff member goes off sick it's the employers responsibility :(

I would definitely seek legal advice about it, try ACAS first and from there. Best of luck x

As her employer I am fully liable for sick pay, £88:75. Generally 3/4 month probation as it's a 6/8 week turn around on a client base . Joining a new salon can be difficult and I give staff the benefit of the doubt (rightly or wrongly) a settling in period for both them and clients a like . Unfortunately she was just coming to the end of this period , when signed off .

As her employer I am fully liable for sick pay, £88:75. Generally 3/4 month probation as it's a 6/8 week turn around on a client base . Joining a new salon can be difficult and I give staff the benefit of the doubt (rightly or wrongly) a settling in period for both them and clients a like . Unfortunately she was just coming to the end of this period , when signed off .

How much sick can she claim? My husband only gets 2 days in a row from his employers!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Generally you can't claim for first 3 days then after a period you get SSP.

How long does someone have to work for you before their entitled to sick? Is it like hols where you accrue it pro rata or is it just a fixed thing from day 1?

From day 4 of consecutive illness ( irrespective if you work these days normally) you are entitled to sick pay ( non refundable unlike mat. Pay) if you earn over £111 which is £88:75. It would appear you qualify more or less immediately , waiting on Acas getting back to me , as you used to be able to terminate employment pre 6 months

How much sick can she claim? My husband only gets 2 days in a row from his employers!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

You can claim for 28 wks

Latest posts

Back