Sidewall lifting on 1 client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
I have 1 client who has the same problem every time she comes back for her re balances at 3 weeks....She is a gel NNO....has them short-ish sqoval shape...she is on no meds....works as a care home worker....mature lady with no bad habits of picking or biting.

On about 7-8 of all her nails on either both or 1 side she will have lifting....she says it happens in the 2nd week. Zone 3 is perfect every time.

I thought i had sussed this one out....she has really soft thin skin...i only have to touch her with a file and she is "ouch"....(non of my other clients do this...so its her and not me) So i thought maybe as i was mentally aware that she is super sensitive to the file that maybe i was not blending the gel into the nail enough.

I told her this and she said..."well go for it and do what you have to do"...so i did as i do all my other clients and she never said "ouch" once...she came back after 3 weeks and had much less sidewall lifting but still a little.

But its back to square one now and i cant think what else to do/try...it must be something i am doing/not doing cos zone 3 is perfect....she has quite small nails...so i changed to a tiny brush for her to see if i was maybe touching the sidewalls with my bigger brush that i normally use.....still waiting to see if this made a difference when she comes back.

She doesn't seem bothered by it and just says "it must be my nails" but it bothers me cos not 1 other clients i have ever gets lifting...just her

Throw any suggestions my way :)

I do know this, that working in a care home is very tough on the hands and nails particularly with torque pressure which is a killer for side wall lifting.

Heaving people about and in and out of wheel chairs .. dressing them etc is all really really tough on nails particularlyif whe wears them longish. Maybe shorter is the answer.

well she did used to have them long oval....but the lifting at the sides was terrible....so i filed them right down and squared them off a little....its not as bad as it was but still there...maybe i should try going even shorter. I even remembered what you said Geeg about the twisting action women do when washing cups...:lol:....she uses a dishwasher though.

I've had clients who have worked in the care industry and the things they have to do is really tough .. lots of twisting and lots of pressure ont he ends of the fingers.

I bet if she describes the things she does with her hands at work you will soon see that the culprit is work. I think we already know that it is. She (and you) may just have to put up with it unless she submits herself to having you etch her nails more heavily to grab the product even more solidly.

I hate doing this etching but have been forced to do it on opccasion as the client has virtually begged me to do it as the only solution. I have tried to do it responsibly but of course it does cause some damage .. but some clients would rather put up with this than not have their nails and it is with their full knowledge and permission that I have done it..

Its got to be worth a try...with her consent. ok so now comes a silly question....how do i do it....:lol:...what grit file and i am guessing just a stroke down each sidewall once...in the direction of the nail grow growth....?

Its got to be worth a try...with her consent. ok so now comes a silly question....how do i do it....:lol:...what grit file and i am guessing just a stroke down each sidewall once...in the direction of the nail grow growth....?

Angie, I've only ever etched with a 240 Koala buffer but instead of just one stroke, I HAVE DONE 2-3 ... it has worked.

Latest posts

Back