Silk and fibreglass no longer being taught

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammi010

Reaction score
My Niece has just told me that silk and fibreglass have been dropped from the level 3. I think this is really sad.

This week alone I have had 3 Clients that have split of broken natural nails and I have used silk to repair before gel polish, saving the nail and keeping even lengths. I know you could use acrylic or hard gel but it never matches the other natural nails as well as silk does.

I have just had a new lady contact me asking me if I can repair one of hers. One of my Clients told her what I do, her usual salon had no idea what she was talking about and so she has contacted me.

Anyone else still use this system and think it's an invaluable tool to have under your belt or is it a relic of the past?

I used it yesterday on one of my own nails! I think it's a really useful skill to have. Definitely a shame it's not being taught anymore

It dropped out of fashion about 7/8 years ago but I'm hearing a gentle resurgence recently. It's certainly a useful method for one off splits and repairs. I suspect it will re-surface again soon as a 'new' popular method, bit like Tip & Dip keeps coming back and disappearing. Lots of newbie techs who can only do Gel Polish are starting to see the need for extension/repair skills so are looking for that next step, T&D has been the method of choice for some but I suspect Silk/Fibreglass will be the next one

I use silk to repair split nails.
It's such a bonus being able to 'save' a client's natural nail
Any nail skill will be useful eventually, as we see all types of nail problems in our working day - and each of them requiring a different solution.

I'm disappointed to hear that this has been dropped from level three. It's not even like it takes massive amounts of class time to deliver and practice.

It's a good skill to have. Just because it isn't commonly used doesn't mean that it is of less value. I wish silk and fibreglass would make a big comeback because it doesn't stink and is less bulky on the natural nail.

I'm doing level 3 nails at college and it's included on the course. X

We do mostly silk extensions and wraps in our salon and everyone loves them, a lot remark they can't get them elsewhere but a also how natural they look X

Latest posts

Back