Silk how long should they last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carriechatwin

Reaction score
Hi geeks wondering if anyone can help.I just done my step mums infills I put a set of silk enhancements on her and after 11 days she needed her infills doing.They had lifted alot and I would have liked her to have had them on at least two weeks before needing infills.Is there something I am doing wrong.Here Is how I do my silks let me know if you have a better way.

1.Prep nails
2.Fit tips
3.place silk on
4.Apply resin
5.Apply second coat of resin
6.Activate
7.Buff to a shine.

:cry: :confused:

sounds like if you are cleansing (i do mine with alcohol) the nail properly that her nails might be on the oiler side.
You might want to double check the resin and make sure you are covering all edges throughly. If it is a bit thin than you will get lifting easier.
Once you have cleanse the nailbed, Do Not under any cirucumstances touch the nailbed with your fingers. You will place your own oils on it and then can cause problems.

Also, in my experience, silk nails do not hold up well with those who have their hands in alot of water.

When you says activate, I am assuming that you are using a spray to set the glue?
Try applying resin, spray and set then apply another coat of resin, spray and set. then buff out.

She did say that she had had her hands in water a few times whereas normally more careful,when i prep i don'y use anything just take the shine off with a white block,should i be using something else?

A few times in water shouldn't cause that much lifting. I would look at the tutorial that Sandi posted the link for. And look into cleansing the nail bed, making sure all extra skin and cuticle is off the nail bed and like I do, dehydrate and cleanse the nailplate with alcohol.

Hi geeks wondering if anyone can help.I just done my step mums infills I put a set of silk enhancements on her and after 11 days she needed her infills doing.They had lifted alot and I would have liked her to have had them on at least two weeks before needing infills.Is there something I am doing wrong.Here Is how I do my silks let me know if you have a better way.

1.Prep nails
2.Fit tips
3.place silk on
4.Apply resin
5.Apply second coat of resin
6.Activate
7.Buff to a shine.

:cry: :confused:

I was taught to apply the resin first and then the silk/fibreglass. Could it be this? Check the tutorials....I think (but may be wrong) that they apply resin first as well. Good luck x

I was taught to apply the resin first and then the silk/fibreglass. Could it be this? Check the tutorials....I think (but may be wrong) that they apply resin first as well. Good luck x
Yes, you apply one thin layer of resin and let it air dry BEFORE applying tips and blending.
Also, make sure that after you've applied the fibreglass/silk and saturated the weave that you let it air dry then apply another layer of resin and then activate, if you activate in between these layers then you risk the activator having an effect on your resin brush and making it go hard!

Read through the tutorial that I linked to in my earlier reply, it should help you.

No you are right Jane~

I missed that part. Good call.
Applying the resin first gives the silk a base to adhere to and also serves as a deterrent from the oils lifting the silk.:)

sounds like if you are cleansing (i do mine with alcohol) the nail properly that her nails might be on the oiler side.
You might want to double check the resin and make sure you are covering all edges throughly. If it is a bit thin than you will get lifting easier.
Once you have cleanse the nailbed, Do Not under any cirucumstances touch the nailbed with your fingers. You will place your own oils on it and then can cause problems.

Also, in my experience, silk nails do not hold up well with those who have their hands in alot of water.

When you says activate, I am assuming that you are using a spray to set the glue?
Try applying resin, spray and set then apply another coat of resin, spray and set. then buff out.

I have had gels, acrylics and silk nails. I have found the best to be silk and being a hairdresser have my hands in water all day.

Gels just crumble, acrylics lift really easily and look a mess after a week but with silk they hardly ever lifted much and I could get 3 weeks out of them.

Maybe this is down to my nail technician but I love them and I'm a total silk convert now. I'm NEVER going back!!!

I think what we have to remember here is that not every system suits every client.
All 3 systems should be ok with a lot of water contact. Aftercare affects the longevity and plenty of good quality cuticle oil will help to keep the enhancements hydrated and flexible and the surrounding skin conditioned.

I've always found new sets grow faster (i put it down to the intitial stimulation), they may slow down after the first infill. Nail growth is an individual thing.

Latest posts

Back