Silk Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudi

Reaction score
Hi went to college lastnight and my tutor said we had to do a full set of nails! Started my friends nails at 6.15 and it took me 1 hour just to blend in her tips on the one hand and my arm was killing me from all the filing anyway we finish college at 9 and i got as far as tips on both hands filed both hands and resin and silk twice on each nail and my friend left with bumps from where we did not have time to finish off her nails so she had to finish them of her self at home.How long should it take to do a set of silk nails? when i do my own nails i ent using them nails that need to blend in it takes hours!! i think i will use tips that you dont need to blend in cant think what they are called!:confused:

Hi Trudi,
Did you pre-tailor your tips before applying to the nails ?
Doing this will cut down on time blending and isn't as harsh for the natural nail.

Hi lesley no we dont pre tailor tips and we have to put resin on our natural nails and then activater to protect them from all the filing then put tips on.what do you mean bt pre tailoring tips? what do you have to do to them?

Hi again,
To pre-tailor a tip, You need to cut out most of the well area of the tip, So you are left with a short ledge to stick to the free edge. You can either use very sharp small scissors to cut out the well or with your file at a 45degree angle file away the well until your left with a small amout left. This way once the tip is applied you only need to do a few sweeps over the tip to blend it in, Much quicker to do.
Hths

Thanks lesley! that sounds much quicker to do i wonder if my tutor will let me do it that way as you know what some tutors are like they like you to do it their way!! got college tomoz so i am goin to ask her Thanks for your help xx

Trudi there should be no problem with your tutor because this is really the correct way to apply tips. When I did my trainning we were taught this way, surely its much better than having to put resin on the natural nail to protect from over filing. Just stand your ground on this one.....Trust me ;)

hi ya how much well area can u leave? does anyone pre taylor velocity tips?

Lesley do you know what i am going to tell my tutor that im going to do my tips the way you have just told me as it will be much quicker!also got people comin to college near christmas to have their nails done by us and they cant sit there for hours havin nails done not if its takin me this long so yes i am going to try it that way!!Thank you loads for your help xx

hi trudi - I'm fairly new to it all myself too - but believe me, you will naturally speed up the more sets you do! If you can persuade all your friends and family to have a set done for a nominal fee (to cover your product costs and time) you will be up to speed in no time x

My first full set (gel sculptures) took about 6 hours!!! in the end i had to do one hand on one night and the second the following day... so belive me - your time of 3+ hours doesn't sound too shabby! lol

x

You just leave a small amount of the well, Just cut out the smile line shape, Buff over to thin down and apply to the nail. You can get away with not blending the tip at all if applied correctly. And yes you can pre-tailor velocity tips

thanxs lesley i cant get the hang of using the file to get an even smile on the well shall i try the scissors/ or r those cut out things any good from nsi? xx

I would try to use some very small sharp nail scissors then just smooth the eges after cutting. It takes a bit of practise to begin with.

Hiya,
I don't pre-tailor at the mo but want to as it will cut down blending time, do you do your pre-tailoring on all of your tips as a rule? do you do it when client is with you or before they arrive?

Supertalons said:
Hiya,
I don't pre-tailor at the mo but want to as it will cut down blending time, do you do your pre-tailoring on all of your tips as a rule? do you do it when client is with you or before they arrive?
Hiya,

I pre taylor my tips when the client is sat infront of me, every nail shape is different, You need to take out as much of the well as you can!! More product on the nail means more strength!!

Amanda

This is the first skill I mastered in the world of nails...well worth the effort now...practice and it will come and your arm will stop aching...

My tutor didnt beleive in removing the well area but I did anyway but thats just me....

Thanx, I will definately try it, my tutor didn't beleive in this either but anything that saves unnecessary possible damage to the nail plate and my time is worth a go!

So what happens when you have a client whose nails are not suitable for pre-blended tips?? And you find you have to blend in a tip without cusing any nailplate damage?

No one and I mean no one should pass a nail course without being able to perform this skill. And I think it is wrong to encourage a new student to take short cuts when they should be learning a skill.

Use the right tips and blending should not take more than 10 minutes tops once you know how!
Keep your arm supported on the table and it won't ache.
Read the file control tutorial in Premium geeks to learn how to do it.

Your atitude at the beginning should be to learn and develop skills not to take every short cut suggestion that comes along. My opinion.

I was never taught to not pre blend tips. What sort of client wouldnt be suitable? Thanks

Lucia

Many schools do not teach how to blend in a tip without damage because it takes too much of their time or the educator can't do it.

It is a requirement of NVQ level3 to be able to do this because there are times when you need to know how to do it.

Bitten nails, uneven nails with missing sidewalls, damaged nails, nails that are very weak over the stress area are just a few of the examples where I would blend in a tip.. weekend nails are another and session technicians like Marian Newman do this often when extending nails for a photoshoot that are only meant to be temporary.

In my experience, when people do not do something it is because they can't.
People who don't use pink and white don't, because they can't do a smile line to save their life so they take the easy way out, and then they never get round to learning how to do it .

There are so many mediocre amateurs and professionals alike out there, and we go on about it all the time. It is taking short cuts all the time and never learning how to do the job properly that produces this mentality.

You need to be an all rounder and be able to do what is required when it is required. Shame on education providers who do not provide the education or equip students with the proper know how to do the job well.

Hiya,

I dont think its a shortcut or an easy wasy out, if it reduces natural nail damage whats the problem, although no damage should be made! When i have done courses with Creative and other companies where i had to use a tip every one of the educators told me to pre-blend a tip. to be honest though since havin a 1-2-1 session with GMG i much prefer to sculpt and only use tips if i have to!

Amanda

Latest posts

Back