Silk wrap help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5@MB

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a few clients this week who's silk wrap just isn't working. I prep the nail and cuticles, wipe with acetone, apply resin, silk, 2 more coats of resin then activator, file free edge and sides and buff. But the silk is just perling away, its the same when used with tips too. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Are you activating each layer of resin or just the final layer? X

I do my silk a bit differently. Here's my method:

• Cuticle work
  • Scrub Fresh
  • Apply silk (making sure to leave free margin at eponychium and side walls to prevent lifting). I also make sure that I minimize how much I touch the silk. The oils from my hands will cause lifting. I use the backing from the silk to press it onto the nail.
  • I apply a total of 3 thin layers of resin and of course activate after each coat of resin
  • I carefully file the side walls and free edge
  • I buff for smoothness

I activator the first one before the silk then the final one.

I noticed that you said you start with resin. I've never seen that before but I'm also an old nail tech. :D

I've always started with silk first then resin. Do you feel comfortable trying that?

Hi when I apply silk/fibreglass I use same procedure as gr8nails just described and I qualified last year! Don't forget you must activate each layer of resin.
I don't know if you get it but this months Scratch mag has an article all about silk and fibreglass x

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Thanks everyone. Will try that next time! X

I noticed that you said you start with resin. I've never seen that before but I'm also an old nail tech. :D

I've always started with silk first then resin. Do you feel comfortable trying that?

I always apply a layer of resin and activate before applying silk and ever have any problems x

Not sure if I am being dim here as been ages since I did silk but surely the problem is the acetone?! I use that in soak off why are you applying that in prep? Maybe that is why it is not sticking? Or is that in blending tips? If so then scrubfresh to remove all traces and I would start with resin, then apply, then resin then activate etc...good luck x

Sent from my LG-P970 using SalonGeek

Are you buffing off the shine of the nail first? And there is no need to wipe off the nail with any type of liquid. After taking off the shine of the nail, just lightly brush off the nail. Resin adhesive/silk isn't like gel. It needs some dust to adhere to the nail. And I would highly suggest not doing too much filing or shaping of the nail after applying the resin/silk. That breaks the seal. Use the soft side of the buffer to do the sides, the nails should already be shaped before applying the resin. Other than that, your steps look correct. Hope this solves your problem.

Hi. I do take the shine off the nail first yes and was trained to wipe with acetone but i'm going to use scrubfresh from now on. Wonder what difference it makes doing resin first or not?!

Hi. I do take the shine off the nail first yes and was trained to wipe with acetone but i'm going to use scrubfresh from now on. Wonder what difference it makes doing resin first or not?!

Try it without scrub fresh. You really don't need it. Silk nails are different from other products. I've never seen any silk nail training, especially from Backscratcher's, that included a step of wiping off the nail with any liquid. Never had a problem like you described.

Are you doing silk overlay on natural nail or on a tip?

I do both. Thank you for replying i'm definately gonna give it a whirl like you said.

Based on my experience it isn't necessary to do the resin layer on the nail with tips. Been doing it that way for a very long time and have had no problems with the tips or the product staying on. The resin layer is very necessary when applying the silk to the natural nail so the silk will bond to the natural nail.

And it just occurred to me that if you use too much resin adhesive that will affect adhesion. So make sure you aren't using too much or not enough. You want enough to float over the silk, but not flood it. Hope that makes sense.

Latest posts

Back