Since I've been doing gel nails...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha1

Reaction score
Hey Geeks!! I did my gel nail training on 12th & 13th of august- on the first day of this after sitting in the room all day I became really stuffed up- like couldnt breath out of my nose! Been doing nails ever since and i'm really enjoying them- but everytime Ive did a set of nails- that night and the next day im completely bunged up! At the start I thought it was maybe a cold but its been since my training and everytime after I do nails :sad: Has this happened anyone else?? Or anyone know why???
Please help- def not giving up but cant go on feeling like this everytime after!!

Do you have any kind of extraction system at your station?

No, been doing mobile so just working at my clients tables so far.. What do I use for extraction??

You can use detachable Kayline desk vent. It is easy to clip on and not to heavy to carry around.
Please read this post by our fellow Nail Tech Melissa P.

Hello everyone,

I noticed some threads here about allergies/allergic reactions to products.

I want all of you to know that is extremely important that you have proper ventilation at your table-

to remove DUST particles from filing,

and remove VAPORS from liquid monomers and UV gels.

A few months ago, one of my clients (and a fellow nail professional)-

had to GIVE UP doing nails because she has "COPD"

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), also known as chronic obstructive airway disease (COAD), is a group of diseases characterized by limitation of airflow in the airway that is not fully reversible. COPD is the umbrella term for chronic bronchitis, emphysema and a range of other disorders. It is most often due to tobacco smoking[1] but can be due to other airborne irritants such as coal dust, asbestos or solvents.

***"other airborne irritants" means anything other than AIR !!!!!

She had chronic bronchitis- and suffered from pneumonia a few times last winter as well...

and she has only been doing nails for six years!!!!

I am so upset for her- she is a wonderful person, a talented nail professional-

and yet no one told her how important it was to ventilate her work space / air space.

She feels it was mostly because of using her electric file- all the dust blowing around her face and nose....

and she started doing gels a couple years ago too...

and we all know how fine the dust is from gel...

Not to mention all the vapors we deal with-

from acetone, alcohol, bleach, liquid monomer, uv gels, enamels, etc etc

I want to plead with all of you-

please
please
please

make sure you ventilate your air space.

Work safely- be careful- we all only have one set of lungs-

they are precious- - - please guard them.

**Thankfully since she stopped doing nails about three months ago- her lungs are much better- she can walk without losing her breath.... stairs aren't so hard anymore....

and did I mention...........

she's only 40? (SO young!!!)

What upsets her the most- is she had to give up her passion.. her career..

only because she was ignorant.

Please- all of you--- I do NOT want this to happen to ANYONE- to ANY OF YOU...

GUARD your lungs.

Sorry if this seems desperate or drawn out--- it just upsets me so much--

I was able to take a few of her clients on... but not all..

and we just keep saying "if she only knew..."

So now I hope all of you, my friends, KNOW.

All the best,

You can use detachable Kayline desk vent. It is easy to clip on and not to heavy to carry around.
Please read this post by our fellow Nail Tech Melissa P.

Hello everyone,

I noticed some threads here about allergies/allergic reactions to products.

I want all of you to know that is extremely important that you have proper ventilation at your table-

to remove DUST particles from filing,

and remove VAPORS from liquid monomers and UV gels.

A few months ago, one of my clients (and a fellow nail professional)-

had to GIVE UP doing nails because she has "COPD"

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), also known as chronic obstructive airway disease (COAD), is a group of diseases characterized by limitation of airflow in the airway that is not fully reversible. COPD is the umbrella term for chronic bronchitis, emphysema and a range of other disorders. It is most often due to tobacco smoking[1] but can be due to other airborne irritants such as coal dust, asbestos or solvents.

***"other airborne irritants" means anything other than AIR !!!!!

She had chronic bronchitis- and suffered from pneumonia a few times last winter as well...

and she has only been doing nails for six years!!!!

I am so upset for her- she is a wonderful person, a talented nail professional-

and yet no one told her how important it was to ventilate her work space / air space.

She feels it was mostly because of using her electric file- all the dust blowing around her face and nose....

and she started doing gels a couple years ago too...

and we all know how fine the dust is from gel...

Not to mention all the vapors we deal with-

from acetone, alcohol, bleach, liquid monomer, uv gels, enamels, etc etc

I want to plead with all of you-

please
please
please

make sure you ventilate your air space.

Work safely- be careful- we all only have one set of lungs-

they are precious- - - please guard them.

**Thankfully since she stopped doing nails about three months ago- her lungs are much better- she can walk without losing her breath.... stairs aren't so hard anymore....

and did I mention...........

she's only 40? (SO young!!!)

What upsets her the most- is she had to give up her passion.. her career..

only because she was ignorant.

Please- all of you--- I do NOT want this to happen to ANYONE- to ANY OF YOU...

GUARD your lungs.

Sorry if this seems desperate or drawn out--- it just upsets me so much--

I was able to take a few of her clients on... but not all..

and we just keep saying "if she only knew..."

So now I hope all of you, my friends, KNOW.

All the best,

Thats terrible- scary to think of how harmful it can be! Def gonna have a look for extractor!

Thanks for this Lana! :) xx

An extractor is a must but wearing a mask also is a must for those bothered even with an extractor. I am asthmatic, and with the use of an extractor and a mask i have been doing nail for eight years with no problems what so ever. Satey for your self and your customer escpecially those with any respirtory conditions over them a mask as well!! Good luck to you.

Thanks for the help. Def going to look for extractor- and mask! If im like this after not even 4 weeks, imagine what id be like in 4 years!!

Thanks geeks! :hug:

If anyone sees any at a good price, let me know!!xx

Does anyone know where I could get an extractor?? Portable one for mobile... Cant find one on net- and really do need one! Cant breath through my nose today and been coughing because of doing nails last night! Doing them tonight2!! :rolleyes:

I have the same problem. I've been doing gels for almost 5 years, but only full time for a year. I started having cold like symptoms last January and thought it was a sinus cold, until I'd had it for 3 months! My nose was completely plugged and my sinuses just kept running out my nose.

I always wear a mask (though I should probably get better ones) and non-perscription glasses to protect my eyes. March I bought a hand rest with a reverse fan and a bag to collect dust. It's definitely helped me, but not enough. I'm forced to quit or cut back on gels now. Not happy about it, but I don't know what else to do.

Here's the extractor I got on eBay.
110V NAIL ART DUST SUCTION COLLECTOR TIP GEL USD CA 92W - (eBay.ca item 180287263305 end time 15-Sep-08 21:15:00 EDT)

HTH

This is what I have built in my nail desk. I don't have any problems with dust.
IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Check this linkHow it Works
Unfortunately they don't make them anymore.
You can try this link:
Medicool - ManiVac - Maintain a healthy manicure service! Removes harmful nail dust as you file
Both of them are similar and work the best for fine ,gel dust.
Don't settle on bathroom fans, they are useless.

Thanks everyone, would def need something that I can carry about because im mobile- checked out the ones on ebay and they seem a good job- and fairly priced 2! Thanks CrystalH, ill have to try it- hopefully it solves the problem!xx

Latest posts

Back