Sitting at my station shaking like a chihuahua

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolologann

Reaction score
Okay I'll try to keep this short, I've been working in a salon for about 2 months now. This is my first job as a nail tech and I absolutely love it. But at just two months here I've already had two seperate clients complain to my boss about being unhappy with my work.

How many complaints is normal for new nail techs before their bosses let them go?

Here's the story if anyone likes story time:
Today I did a gel fill on a lady, almost immediately she asks why I don't use a drill, I explain I do everything by hand. As I continues she pointed out again that I was doing something different than what she was used to. I gave an explanation for that and asked her where she goes and she mentioned a nss in town whose work is impeccable although unsanitary.
Anyways as I go I'm trying not to let my nerves eat my skill (this was only one of my first fills) she watched me like a hawk so every step I did she'd check. Before I started polishing I had her check her nails and shockingly she said they looked very nice.
Then I was applying polish and my nerves got my I got some a around her cuticle. But I went to finish the hand so I could go back and fix the skin with a brush& acetone as I always do. But she began picking and fussing. Plus the polish was dark so it showed every flaw in the overlay.

In the end they weren't what you'd call bad, but they weren't even close to perfect. She voiced no complaint to me, but I could tell she was unhappy.
And of course she went to tell my boss how unhappy she was. My boss still charged her full price, the lady even gave me a small tip. But I'm destroyed. I'm starting to question if i should find a new job. My boss has been too busy to speak to me, but I'm sure she will. I'm scared to death. Any advice? Experiences ? Tips to handle what my boss says?

If your boss knows you are new to this then they will expect these things. Also if your boss still charged the full price and the client tipped, even a small tip, you can't have been that bad.

If you feel you did anything wrong then learn by it my darling, we all start where you are, honestly we do. None of us are born being fabulous, we work our way towards it! :D

Okay I'll try to keep this short, I've been working in a salon for about 2 months now. This is my first job as a nail tech and I absolutely love it. But at just two months here I've already had two seperate clients complain to my boss about being unhappy with my work.

How many complaints is normal for new nail techs before their bosses let them go?

Here's the story if anyone likes story time:
Today I did a gel fill on a lady, almost immediately she asks why I don't use a drill, I explain I do everything by hand. As I continues she pointed out again that I was doing something different than what she was used to. I gave an explanation for that and asked her where she goes and she mentioned a nss in town whose work is impeccable although unsanitary.
Anyways as I go I'm trying not to let my nerves eat my skill (this was only one of my first fills) she watched me like a hawk so every step I did she'd check. Before I started polishing I had her check her nails and shockingly she said they looked very nice.
Then I was applying polish and my nerves got my I got some a around her cuticle. But I went to finish the hand so I could go back and fix the skin with a brush& acetone as I always do. But she began picking and fussing. Plus the polish was dark so it showed every flaw in the overlay.

In the end they weren't what you'd call bad, but they weren't even close to perfect. She voiced no complaint to me, but I could tell she was unhappy.
And of course she went to tell my boss how unhappy she was. My boss still charged her full price, the lady even gave me a small tip. But I'm destroyed. I'm starting to question if i should find a new job. My boss has been too busy to speak to me, but I'm sure she will. I'm scared to death. Any advice? Experiences ? Tips to handle what my boss says?

Bless you... I think it's happened to all of us, I turned out some really rubbish nails when I first started but I charged them less anyway as I was training so I didn't feel quite as bad although it's so nerve wracking. Even now I get nerves and it's a few months on!!! I really think you should speak with your boss, I'm sure she will understand and this lady seems like a fussy customer as well! Maybe she picked up on your nerves and milked it for all it was worth?

A few questions:
What happened with the other client?
When did you qualify
Who did you train with?

Thanks for the responses already.

The first complaint was about uncut cuticles and shabby polish when I Forrest started.

As for training I am in nj USA so I trained at private cosmetology center. I have taken both the complete 1000 hour cosmetology course. (Didn't take state board as I went when I was still in highschool)

I then went back and completed the 300 hour nail tech course which I finished in September and started my job shortly after.

Thanks for the responses already.

The first complaint was about uncut cuticles and shabby polish when I Forrest started.

As for training I am in nj USA so I trained at private cosmetology center. I have taken both the complete 1000 hour cosmetology course. (Didn't take state board as I went when I was still in highschool)

I then went back and completed the 300 hour nail tech course which I finished in September and started my job shortly after.

I rarely cut the cuticles- I was trained not to!
Don't let these experiences get you down - there will always be fussy clients or clients who are after some kind of discount! Don't worry you are qualified to do this and have put in the hard work! You can't please everyone and in this industry we all have to learn from our mistakes!!!
Keep going you will be fine!!!

chin up love, it can only get better! and it's already been said, she paid full price and left you a tip! :hug:

Latest posts

Back