Skin peeling under the outgrown nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utilka

Reaction score
Hi! I've been using an uv lamp with opi gel polishes for a couple of years and it worked for me, had no problems. About a year ago I purchased a nailene led lamp with the whole kit, that you can by in boots. Used it with gelish harmony polishes. First few times, no problem, but about few month in the skin under the outgrown nail would start feel odd next day after the application. In a week it would start peeling. My skin around my nails now looks terrible. Peeling, dry... I make sure that the product doesn't touch my skin. I also use very thin layers. I'm not trained I admit. But I did my research and at the beginning of my " gel experience" I had a helpful friend nail artist guiding me. We lost touch and I can't ask him for help... Can anyone help? What could be causing the peeling?

Hi! I've been using an uv lamp with opi gel polishes for a couple of years and it worked for me, had no problems. About a year ago I purchased a nailene led lamp with the whole kit, that you can by in boots. Used it with gelish harmony polishes. First few times, no problem, but about few month in the skin under the outgrown nail would start feel odd next day after the application. In a week it would start peeling. My skin around my nails now looks terrible. Peeling, dry... I make sure that the product doesn't touch my skin. I also use very thin layers. I'm not trained I admit. But I did my research and at the beginning of my " gel experience" I had a helpful friend nail artist guiding me. We lost touch and I can't ask him for help... Can anyone help? What could be causing the peeling?

Hi,

The reaction you are describing sounds like the start of an allergic reaction.
Sometimes these are also very painful and itchy and sometimes little blisters might occur as well. After some time, approx 5-7 days, sometimes up to 2 weeks, the skin can start to peel as you are describing.

I hope your problem does not turn into a reaction like explained above, it is very painful. Believe me, it can happen at any time and it looks like you have the start of it. You might also risk the chance of permanent damage to your nails and worse case scenario they might fall off and not grow back.

It could be a number of things and this is why these products should only be used by trained nail technicians.
I suggest you get some training if you want to continue using the products.

Good luck :)

Thank you Tinkabel. I've been looking to enrol on a simple uv soak off gel mani course. Will speed up the process. Just out of curiosity. Would that be allergic reaction to the gel itself or the uv light lamp. Some the problems occurred I've ensured not to touch the skin bellow the nail with the product I'm applying. I also changed diff brands. From axxium cured by traditional uv- never had a problem but peeled off too quickly on index fingers and haven't used it for over a year. opi gel polish; ASP uv polishes, naileene own brand; harmony gelish and the latest red carpet. Problems started when I used gelish 3rd-4th time. Recently I even tried sun protection cream with factor 30 on the skin as it behaved like if it was sunburned. No blisters, just slight swelling and tenderness. On the tip of the finger and under the outgrown nail. Within a week the skin starts peeling off at the line where nail separates from the nail bed. What really bugs me is that I can't see how product could get there. I stopped wearing acrylic nails as my cuticle area would swell and go red. That was painful and itchy. This is just sensitive and feels weird. I appreciate any thoughts on the subjects. Even the ones I might not want to hear- I need to stop wearing any enhancements as I'm just not a suitable candidate... I hope for the best bit am prepared for the worst. 😜

Allergic reactions are the main reason I decided to do training and I am so glad I did. It helped me understand the chemistry so much better. It has also enabled me to speak to the 'right' people who are qualified in this industry. Without qualifications it is very difficult to get your questions answered.

I originally used the wrong brand of gel polish which set off a chain reaction, then I could not use acrylics without major reactions... the list goes on and on and on.
I can now use a particular brand of gel polish and also have acrylics once again after getting pointed in the right direction on particular brands.

You mentioned Gelish, I react very badly to this product and have heard many others in the nail industry have the same issue.

In my experience the lamps did not cause this type of reaction. You described it as being like sunburn, this comment alone and the fact you used sun lotion makes me think you really should get some training. What you have described is more like a chemical burn, putting on sun cream could further irritate the problem.

There are many ways in which the product can be transferred to your skin or be absorbed by it. Paying special attention not to get it on your skin is great but it doesn't necessarily mean it will stop you having a reactions, there are other techniques to be aware of, which you should learn in any training.

People are very quick to try these products at home and there are many who have successful results.Then there is a handful who don't and have allergic reactions. These are the kind of DIY-ers that should definitely get training as they risk further possible damage that may be irreversible.

Should you become qualified and still have any questions, I would be more than happy to discuss this topic further.

Thank you very much. Will get that training ball rolling. 😉

What a waste of time and money that was! Can you recommend a reputable course/ training centre? Or is there a specific certificate/ accreditation I can look for? I just wasted my weekend and £130 in course that was about a basic mani?! That's no good at all!😳

What a waste of time and money that was! Can you recommend a reputable course/ training centre? Or is there a specific certificate/ accreditation I can look for? I just wasted my weekend and £130 in course that was about a basic mani?! That's no good at all!😳

A lot of companies will need you to be trained In the basic manicure system before you can use their products so don't worry you didn't waste your money! I'm a shellac girl and highly recommend their products. You can get in touch with 'sweet squared' also know as 'S2' to open an account to train with an purchase shellac products, a quick search on google will bring their telephone number and website up :) xxx

I know that if I want to go professional that's the best way. I always did my own nail art and thought going for uv soak offs will just make it stay on my nails longer. I never intended to become a nail technician. But now I have to find a way to prevent these burns from reoccurring.
When I spoke to the teacher and showed her my burned finger tips she looked a bit puzzled....
I chose gelish because of the vitagel and sculpture products to provide my "weakling" nails with a bit of protection and nourishment. I had to give up on acrylics when after 2 years my eponychium started to swell and was itchy for weeks. gel would just start lifting off in a week and a half and my nails were only thinning so I thought soak off with extra power and nourishment will get me my nails back. And this is result. I need to say that both the acrylics and gels were done by a reputable nail technician.

Sadly it doesn't sound like your tutor knew anything about allergies and sensativity...

I wrote an article about it that should answer why this is happening and what needs to be done to help protect you for future...

Click here - Science topic: Allergies

hth's

Thank you Envy. The thread confirmed what I thought was the best way forward. I will try shellac at the salon and see how it will get on with my " over sensitive" finger tips. Unfortunately the salons near me don't seem to do brissa lite. Any way to find them? My nails do need some support as they are very thin and soft. They delaminate quite easily.

Latest posts

Back