Skin reacting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingbeauty

Reaction score
Hi girlies, hoping you can help & you don't boo & hiss me off this forum...

Just hoping anyone of you can tell me whats the best product to use as regards my daughters hands when she is using soaps or even shampoo. Her hands are flaring up with a bad rash even if she's using 'Simple' shampoo?

What can we use, because clearly she has to wash her hair :irked:

Hi sleeping beauty,
Ouch that must be so painful, can I suggest you try the Neal's yard remedies products as they are completely natural organic products and contain absolutely no irritants. How old is your daughter? They're is a baby range which is so pure for babies upto 3 yrs then the bee lovely range. But any of the products can be used by anybody just pick a scent you like the sound of.

🌸

Hi sleeping beauty,
Ouch that must be so painful, can I suggest you try the Neal's yard remedies products as they are completely natural organic products and contain absolutely no irritants. How old is your daughter? They're is a baby range which is so pure for babies upto 3 yrs then the bee lovely range. But any of the products can be used by anybody just pick a scent you like the sound of.

🌸

Just a word of caution, although the N.Y.R. products are very good and very natural, that does not mean that anyone can use any of the products without any risk of allergic reaction. They are free of know chemical irritants but some essential oils can cause a reaction to someone with sensitive skin depending of course what they are sensitive to.

I would suggest that you go to your Doctor and ask for your daughter to be tested to find out what she is allergic to. Otherwise it can be a very expensive 'trial and error' journey to find products that don't cause any reaction. Sometimes you can use a product and find it is ok, then when you use it a second or third time it causes a reaction. So finding out what ingredient is causing the reaction and avoiding that is the way forward in my opinion.

Joico do a daily shampoo and conditioner which is designed for sensitive scalps so i imagine it would not irritate hands either. My hair and scalp are always left lovely and clean and soft without irritation when using joico products and my scalp irritates very easily with just about anything else so may be with a shot. Otc contain far more detergants then professional products so this could easily be the reaction she is getti g however i could be completely wrong too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

My daughter is 12 (almost 13). My son has irritation to his hands too (finger tips are breaking off in sheets - He's 16). Even Johnsons baby shampoo is a problem ... :0

(By the way the simple shampoo I bought was perfume & colourant free... )

It could be any ingredient causing this, you would be better get them to the doctors and ask for a patch test

Your daughters skin is probably being irritated by Sodium Lauryl sulfate. It is a cheap foaming agent that is put in a lot of hand washes and shampoos and it causes dry and itchy skin. There is a lot of ranges now that are Sodium Lauryl Sulfate free. Try purchasing products from ranges that are SLS free and see it it helps to clear up. A hair care range that I can really recommend that is SLS free is Living Proof available at Space NK and it lasts for ages. A lot of skincare and personal care companies are now starting to stop using this ingrediant in their products. Hope that helps!

My daughter is 12 (almost 13). My son has irritation to his hands too (finger tips are breaking off in sheets - He's 16). Even Johnsons baby shampoo is a problem ... :0

(By the way the simple shampoo I bought was perfume & colourant free... )

Johnsons baby shampoo is probably the worst shampoo on the planet. AVOID at all costs.

Is her hair long or short? How often does she wash her hair? Try to wash it no more than once a week, if her scalp is sore too.

Otherwise, can she use nitrile gloves when washing her hair and body? Hairdressers use these when applying and washing out chemicals when doing a colour service to protect their skin.

You can also get a special barrier cream such as 'Gloves in a bottle' and other similar creams.

when I did my training with redken they did tests with us to prove that their products were the same pH as your skin and hair. we also tested Johnson baby products and simple which are far too alkaline based for your hair and skin.
they do a shampoo call clear moisture id use that if it were me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

The first ingredient you may want to look at is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate ( or Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulphate), this is the main surfactant (foaming agent) in most proprietory foaming products, washing up liquid, bubble bath, shampoo, hand soap and toothpaste. This is a known skin irritant and can cause severe reaction.

Gentle alternatives are available and many manufacturers are turning to cocamidopropyl betain - whilst still a synthetic chemcal it is a much milder surfactant.

You also have the option of looking at Castile soap - which should ideally be just saponified olive oil - although this can now be a small mine field as many manufacturers add surfactants to improve foaming as we now psychologically associate lots of foam with being more efficacious, which is of course nonsense.

There are some lovely natural balms available but try and find some pure shea butter it's very thick but nourishes and coats the skin beautifully in cases such as this.

This is unprofessional of me, but when I run out of shampoo, I use shower gel. If she doesn't react to the shower gel you use maybe she could use it in her hair? I always have to use conditioner after though as it gets my hair SUPER clean :)

Ive had the same problem for nearly 8 years; on my hands, face and upper body. It was all caused my SLS (after tests) I ditched that ingredient. Recently switched to Faith in Nature via recommendation and love it.

This is unprofessional of me, but when I run out of shampoo, I use shower gel. If she doesn't react to the shower gel you use maybe she could use it in her hair? I always have to use conditioner after though as it gets my hair SUPER clean :)

Shampoo and shower gel generally both use the same sufactant so essentially you're swapping like for like - disregarding a few extra ingredients in either!.

The problem you have with this is that it's still not adressing the OP, whether it's shampoo or shower gel it's still going to cause irritation if it contains SLS.

I'm such a pedant, sorry!

Latest posts

Back