Skin test rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinky lou

Reaction score
I'm a mobile hairdresser, for me to skin test a client I have to go to client do skin test then go back 48 hours later to colour.
I have advertised recently and so have had quite a few new clients getting in touch. I'm telling them all about the skin test and ensuring that I do skin test each client.

The worrying thing is that none of them have ever heard of skin testing never mind actually been told its compulsory. I've actually lost a couple of potential clients because they want their colour done that day or the next day.

Why are so many people willing to colour hair without a skin test? Do they honestly not know that they need to skin test or do they just not care?

I'm a mobile hairdresser, for me to skin test a client I have to go to client do skin test then go back 48 hours later to colour.
I have advertised recently and so have had quite a few new clients getting in touch. I'm telling them all about the skin test and ensuring that I do skin test each client.

The worrying thing is that none of them have ever heard of skin testing never mind actually been told its compulsory. I've actually lost a couple of potential clients because they want their colour done that day or the next day.

Why are so many people willing to colour hair without a skin test? Do they honestly not know that they need to skin test or do they just not care?

It's a not care thing. Everyone is taught it, it's written on the tube, in the colour books, and on the tube box. It's not like skin test isn't pointed out at every opportunity the manufacturers get.

One of my clients with very bad skin hasn't heard of skin testing, she works with my mum, and admired that me telling her about it, and doing one gave her more confidence in me before I even started than she had in her old hairdresser after 20 years. Sad really xoxo

I was working a salon once and they never skin tested any one not even new or old clients also someone came in with a box dye and ask if they could put it on for her they charged her £18 =-O

And put it on for her no questions asked .

Shocker

I'm SOOOOO allergic to tint it's stupid, I know it's a pain patch testing and one would hope people know if there allergic or not.

I have to patch test for LvL lashes & soon hd brows. This is what happens when I get a small allergic reaction ...

Is it worth it???

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367182868.760897.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367182868.760897.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 494
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367182935.028113.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367182935.028113.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 419
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367182990.628871.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1367182990.628871.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 679
You will lose out on clients , i have lost count of how many i have lost coz they "dont want to faff about" but its on every bit of promotion work i do , on price lists everything , i wouldnt ever dare not patch test the risk is too great to me , i would rather lose a potential client than risk someones safety and my reputation x

It is crazy the amount of women who will refuse to have a patch test.
One of my mums clients refused on the grounds that she had very sensitive skin and reacts to everything! Amazed that she thought she could have her hair coloured after revealing that haha

It's not worth skipping the patch test even if you lose the client because of it.
If you colour and the client reacts and wants to sue your insurance won't back you up and you're ruined.

I'm SOOOOO allergic to tint it's stupid, I know it's a pain patch testing and one would hope people know if there allergic or not.

I have to patch test for LvL lashes & soon hd brows. This is what happens when I get a small allergic reaction ...

Is it worth it???

Ouchhh poor you :(

My boyfriends sister is highly allergic to ppd from a temp tattoo she had abroad.
She recent tried to have a skin test behind her ear to see if she was still bad and the tiniest bit of tint made a HUGE mass of blisters and it didn't go down for weeks. Reminded me how important it is to test!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Exactly! Mine started from a henna tattoo when I was younger :(

It's horrible being allergic :( xxx

I know/ understand how and why we need to test, and making a trip especially for that doesn't bother me.
I just really don't understand why all stylists don't do it.
I live near a main road and walk past 8 salons just while taking my son to school. Not one of those salons skin test.

Lauren sparkles that's awful. Imagine is someone put a colour on your scalp.

Exactly! Mine started from a henna tattoo when I was younger :(

It's horrible being allergic :( xxx

Lauren what do you use in your hair now, if anything? One of my clients is desperately allergic to ppd too. She has bleach highlights but wants to go darker ... Im petrified!!! Xx

I have foils, my hairdresser has to be extra careful. Never happens I always get a little rash somewhere, on my ears is worse, I'm just trying to grow it out now xxx

Im mobile and I no how hard it is to keep up with skin test

Hi, getting increasing concerned about allergic reactions and do skin test for tint. however, I don't skin test for bleach as it would obviously irritate the skin..
So if u can how do you do a skin test for bleach? X

im mobile and have recently advertised aswell and it annoys me when people say oh do i have to or my last hairdresser didnt need me to have one...best one the other day was oh ill be fine ive tried every brand going even the pound shop hair dyes.... pound shop?!?! seriously strand, skin and incompatability tests before i even go near. xx :D

Hi, getting increasing concerned about allergic reactions and do skin test for tint. however, I don't skin test for bleach as it would obviously irritate the skin..
So if u can how do you do a skin test for bleach? X
Why would you need to do a skin test for bleach? It doesn't contain PPD, which is what the tint skin test is checking for allergies to.

Why would you need to do a skin test for bleach? It doesn't contain PPD, which is what the tint skin test is checking for allergies to.

Incase they were allergic to any other ingredients..
Was just seeing if anybody did and if so how x

Incase they were allergic to any other ingredients..
Was just seeing if anybody did and if so how x

I've never tested for bleach. I still test with tint invade a toner is needed. I always thought you didn't need to skin test for bleach. I'm going to check the instructions in my bleach when I've finished the school run

I've never tested for bleach. I still test with tint invade a toner is needed. I always thought you didn't need to skin test for bleach. I'm going to check the instructions in my bleach when I've finished the school run

I use infinie platine Ive checked and mine doesn't say to skin test but says can cause a severe allergic reaction! Is PPD mainly in the darker colours? I test for all but never known anybody allergic to the lighter ones. My ex boss was allergic to base 6 or below x

I can remember before I was qualified I went through the spectrum for all colours on my hair using tints and bleach at different times and I NEVER got asked to do a skin test. One salon made my hair white with bleach which I didn't want so I went to a different salon who then done a strand test but NEVER a skin test.

Even the more recent Salons I have been to have never requested one, and they outrightly booked me in for a treatment. Even down to having a wash cut and blow-dry, they never asked whether I had any sensitivities to any products before applying them.

Quite shocking really, and it amazes me how many DON'T actually state they need to do this or even ask to do it with clients.

Latest posts

Back